Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 01:23 PM

34 posts, read 103,326 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I've been searching and reading through old threads and posts and have found a wide variety of answers so I am not sure what to believe. We have a potential career opportunity in the Loop - we want to be near the city but not necessarily IN the city. From our visits to the Chicago area we are interested in Oak Park. We already have family there, like the walkable downtown area, like the schools, and would like to have a single family home with a yard and a garage. We have two kids ages 4 and 1. I have read information indicating that the Green Line is a 16 minute trip into the Loop and I have also read that the train is a 30 minute ride into the Loop. I know there are two trains so maybe that explains some of the varying information? I expect that traffic is also hellish but it's only 10 miles. I have a 60 mile commute now. Ideally, I would like to keep to a commute time of 30 minutes, but no more than 45 minutes.

Simply put, I am asking to better understand the commute time from Oak Park to the Loop, both by train and by car.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 01:25 PM

I have also read that the Green line can have an interesting mix of passengers, if you know what I mean. Is the mass transit from Oak Park to the Loop safe or would that be a concern?

Old 10-28-2012, 01:33 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
The "rush hour crowd" is generally a pretty standard mix of folks heading to their jobs or home in the evening. There are some flakes that ride the green line middays , but no more so than the blue line or red line. Evenings the greenline tends to be a little dicier as you do have a younger crowd that is sorta looking for the kinds of things their parents almost certainly would not approve of but this is not generally a huge problem that results in violence...

If you want better speed and less disrupting passengers ride the Metra --- seventeen minute express http://metrarail.com/content/metra/e...Schedule#focus

Old 10-28-2012, 01:43 PM

The Metra time doesn't seem bad at all. I suppose that I need to add the time and cost to get to the Metra stop and pay for parking in addition to looking at the walking time after getting into the city. Any idea about drive time?

Thanks.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:47 PM

Default Strongly depends on when & where you need to start / finish...

If you are OK with riding the boulevards into the Loop the speed is about the same as Metra, of course parking in the Loop is quite costly, and if you are uncomfortable driving past vacant / boarded up buildings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan1510 View Post
The Metra time doesn't seem bad at all. I suppose that I need to add the time and cost to get to the Metra stop and pay for parking in addition to looking at the walking time after getting into the city. Any idea about drive time?

Thanks.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you are OK with riding the boulevards into the Loop the speed is about the same as Metra, of course parking in the Loop is quite costly, and if you are uncomfortable driving past vacant / boarded up buildings...
1. I live in Metro Detroit and worked downtown for 13 years. There is nothing that Chicago is going to throw at me in terms of vacant or boarded up buildings that will be of any concern to me. Trust me - I've driven by burned out cars left in the middle lane of the street for weeks because the police did not want to go into the area.

2. When you say "boulevards".....I assume you mean city streets? Simply not the highways.... If that is the case - I would be surprised to make it 10 miles of city streets in less than 20 minutes.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:08 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,999 times
Green line is probably around 20-25 minutes to loop. It obviously depends on where you get on and off (4 stations in Oak Park, many in Loop).

Driving is also around 20-25 minutes on the freeway inbound and a bit more 30-45 minutes outbound unless there's an accident/construction. Don't drive unless parking is paid for by your employer. Also depending on where you live, simply getting to the freeway ramp can take up to 10 minutes.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:12 PM

Ok. What I'm hearing is that there are options for commuting within the amount of commute time we would be hoping for. I really appreciate all of the information.

Good win for the Bears BTW. Field goal to win at the end of regulation. Outstanding...

Old 10-28-2012, 06:52 PM

Default Boulevards in Chicago have a unique history...

The boulevards were originally developed not by the City of Chicago but by the Chicago Park District, a separate governmental unit that was concerned with landscaping, recreational and cultural issues. There are (?were) restrictions that kept commercial vehicles off the boulevards so that a drive on the blvrd was more like a pleasure trip than "work". City of Chicago :: Chicago Park Boulevard System Historic District (cont.)

boulevardhist

The main advantage these days is lack of retail curb cuts and wider one-way streets so that travel is uninterrupted by shoppers and fast food patrons.

Quote:
1. I live in Metro Detroit and worked downtown for 13 years. There is nothing that Chicago is going to throw at me in terms of vacant or boarded up buildings that will be of any concern to me. Trust me - I've driven by burned out cars left in the middle lane of the street for weeks because the police did not want to go into the area.

2. When you say "boulevards".....I assume you mean city streets? Simply not the highways.... If that is the case - I would be surprised to make it 10 miles of city streets in less than 20 minutes.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:22 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,366 times
Quote:
Ok. What I'm hearing is that there are options for commuting within the amount of commute time we would be hoping for. I really appreciate all of the information.

Good win for the Bears BTW. Field goal to win at the end of regulation. Outstanding...
Just to add to this, the Blue Line, which has ~ three stops in OP (Oak Park Ave, Austin and Harlem stops in the Central, East and West respectively) is about a 20-25 minute ride into the heart of the Loop, depending on your starting point in OP. The Blue Line is a "little" less crowded and less "colorful" than the Green Line.

What's stated above about driving time is pretty accurate. On "off business hours", the drive into the Loop via the Ike range from 12-15 minutes (OP is ~9-10 miles from the Loop) to a lot longer during rush.

BTW, you'll have to stop by Village Hall and get special approval to live in Oak Park if you are a Spurty. As tolerant a place as OP is, there are limits to what is accepted in the village. Standards and all.

Last edited by BigLake; 10-29-2012 at 02:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs