Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 09:39 AM

472 posts, read 1,097,099 times

Advertisements

What suburbs of Chicago have new subdivisions? I'm not sure how these things work up here in Chicago. Here in Dallas there are hundreds of new subdivisions in every suburb, I'm assuming that there are some new ones in the Chicagoland area but again I'm not sure how it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 09:56 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,985,566 times
If you're Done with Dallas, why do you want to replicate what you have there? Most new subdivisions are pretty far out from employment areas and may not be your best bet for long term investment. You need to figure out where you'll be working and then look for subdivisions in commuting range.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:01 AM

I'm not leaving Dallas because of the subdivisions. I want to know whats out there for options. Trust me, theres no replication of Texas up here in Chicago.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:07 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
I'm not leaving Dallas because of the subdivisions. I want to know whats out there for options. Trust me, theres no replication of Texas up here in Chicago.
That's right.

I don't know what kind of subdivision you're looking for.

To me a subdivision is this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...13797&t=h&z=16

Old 11-04-2012, 10:19 AM

801 posts, read 2,564,973 times
Basically, the Chicagoland area is built up to a radius of 40-50 miles from downtown.

There could be some new construction (entire subdivisions, new plats) in the far suburbs in any direction... far West, far Southwest, and far North/Northwest could be worth looking into. Talk to a Realtor.

There are rarely inner parcels that are redevelopment sites (such as a large factory or industrial area being rezoned for housing.) I don't recall seeing any such stories in the news recently.

Here in Northwest Indiana, I'm not aware of any newly platted subdivisions that were built since about 2005. We did have a building spree of sorts in the mid-2000's, but developers have not been that active since then with major new construction.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:21 AM

I think I'm just trying to gauge how housing works. I'm familiar with downtown, of course, and I've visited a few northern suburbs but not enough to see how it works really. Does that make sense? I'm not sure if there are subdivisions, scattered houses, or what. I don't need a subdivision per-say, but a newer house is preferable.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:39 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
For the most part the attractive suburbs in the region have generally been developed with traditional grid layouts centered around rail-centric suburb business districts. The most obvious exception to this are the higher end suburbs like Oak Brook, largely developed during the peak of late 1960s suburban office park boom, Burr Ridge to south which was similarly a by product of such shifts that happened slightly later,
and Long Grove to north. Arguably there are probably some similar patterns that happened in other parts of the region, but none of been as influential at the high end. In terms of scale / scope the "regional mall" driven development around Schaumburg's Woodfield has been more of a mid-market trend, with not too many direct analogues.

Depending on your price point there are some areas with a fairly nice mix of newer / brand new construction that is done on sites where smaller / obsolete homes have been torn down. I would say the minimum price point for this, including both the land and the completed home, starts very near $500k and goes to more than triple that. Technically, if you have the resources and time you could this sort of thing in any desirable area...

There are very few "mass builders" active in the broad Chicago region. The recent history of massive price reversals in some of the areas where farmland has been converted to subdivisions has caused both developers and buyers to be MUCH more cautious. In a broad sense the employment of the Chicago region is if not truly contracting then at least consolidating around traditional employment centers, most of which have a solid supply of housing nearby. This is not terribly different than other markets around the country -- I know a little bit about the broad Dallas market and even the massive expansion that was happening in places like Allen and McKinney has slowed / reversed. The major difference though is that the whole Dallas "metroplex" still is seen as friendly to business / attractive cost-of-living while Illinois' terrible fiscal mismanagement is not attractive to businesses nor does our relatively high cost of living appeal to the kinds of folks able to relocate...

Last edited by chet everett; 11-04-2012 at 12:50 PM..

Old 11-04-2012, 01:02 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
A few starting up again but still very few. Of course a few years back there were plenty. Metra rail lines were even extended to Elburn and Manhattan (IL), about 50 miles outside the loop, to serve them. As Chet said, the attractive suburbs were built out long ago and are prohibitively priced.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:15 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
I don't think I said "prohibitively priced".

If one has the kind of career / resources which give you the ability to spend upwards of $500K there are lots of options...

Old 11-04-2012, 04:08 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I don't think I said "prohibitively priced".

If one has the kind of career / resources which give you the ability to spend upwards of $500K there are lots of options...
OK, those words are mine. Since over half of families in IL have an income below $100K, $500K is prohibitive for most, unless they hit the jackpot, perhaps with a former sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs