Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 09:45 PM

3 posts, read 5,166 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Jacksonville Florida and I will be relocating to Chicago in January. I will be able to travel to Chicago twice before then to find a home for my family. I will not be purchasing a home mainly because we have one here in Jacksonville that is 2200sqft and seems like I will pay double in Chicago for something comparable. My work will have me traveling most of the time, so safety is my first concern. Public school system would be a close second. My office will be on West Harrison St. I am not opposed to suburbs or in town living. I just want to stay around 1600.00 a month maintanance free living. I would love to know the best suburbs to settle down in, or a great Chicago neighborhood. Thanks in advance for all your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 PM

12 posts, read 29,183 times
Default My God why Chicago

Chicago is the pitts. Turmoil and rampant crime. Why would you move there???

Old 11-26-2012, 10:58 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine state of mind View Post
I currently live in Jacksonville Florida and I will be relocating to Chicago in January. I will be able to travel to Chicago twice before then to find a home for my family. I will not be purchasing a home mainly because we have one here in Jacksonville that is 2200sqft and seems like I will pay double in Chicago for something comparable. My work will have me traveling most of the time, so safety is my first concern. Public school system would be a close second. My office will be on West Harrison St. I am not opposed to suburbs or in town living. I just want to stay around 1600.00 a month maintanance free living. I would love to know the best suburbs to settle down in, or a great Chicago neighborhood. Thanks in advance for all your input.
Kinda of a broad question. In general most people who have children live in the burbs and take Metra(the commuter rail) in. There are lots of places that match it is more a question of how long are you willing to commute also traveling where(do you drive around a area like say a sales person? Do you need to fly out often?) last thing you want to be is somewhere convient to downtown via Metra but actually need to drive around some place. If you need to drive and where you need to drive can make a big difference as to where you should stay and have a sane commute.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:55 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Where on West Harrison St? That street extends for about 7 miles within the city limits of Chicago.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:37 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I AM AL BUNDY View Post
Chicago is the pitts. Turmoil and rampant crime. Why would you move there???
Don't speak

Old 11-27-2012, 09:47 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
Quote:
Well there are a lot of suburbs with different options, here's some:

Close North Suburbs- Evanston, Oak Park, Norridge.
North Suburbs- Arlington Heights, Mt. Prospect, Schaumburg
Far North Suburbs- Waukegan, Gurnee, Lake in the Hills
Northwest Suburbs- Elgin,Bartlett, Carpentersville
West Suburbs- St. Charles, Wheaton, Batavia
Far West Suburbs- Plano, Yorkville, Oswego, maybe even throw Aurora in there
Southwest Suburbs- Bolingbrook, Joliet, Plainfield, Naperville
South Suburbs- Tinley Park, Orland Park, Oak Lawn

These are just some suggestions as their are a lot of options. There is metra(www.metrarail.com) that goes to a good chunk of these areas. It just depends on how far you are willing to drive, what school district you like, etc.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:04 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
My inner "Rand McNally" compels me to make some geographic edits to your list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Well there are a lot of suburbs with different options, here's some:

Close North Suburbs- Evanston, Oak Park, Norridge.
NorthWEST Suburbs- Arlington Heights, Mt. Prospect, Schaumburg
Far North Suburbs- Waukegan, Gurnee,
Far Northwest Suburbs- Elgin,Bartlett, Carpentersville, Lake in the Hills
West Suburbs- St. Charles, Wheaton, Batavia
Far West Suburbs- Plano, Yorkville, Oswego, maybe even throw Aurora in there
Southwest Suburbs- Bolingbrook, Joliet, Plainfield, Naperville
South Suburbs- Tinley Park, Orland Park, Oak Lawn

These are just some suggestions as their are a lot of options. There is metra(www.metrarail.com) that goes to a good chunk of these areas. It just depends on how far you are willing to drive, what school district you like, etc.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 5,166 times
I will be using the airport mostly and driving to areas less than 8 hours away. So traffic is not really an issue for me because I can go into the office early or late. Office is in the north part of Chicago on west Harrison st.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:12 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
I will be using the airport mostly and driving to areas less than 8 hours away. So traffic is not really an issue for me because I can go into the office early or late. Office is in the north part of Chicago on west Harrison st.
I would say the near west burbs if you need to drive around the city, drive to your office and get to the airport. However I should warn you rush hour starts at about 7a.m. till 9a.m. and about 4p.m. till about 6p.m. and snow can double travel times and people prefer public transit downtown due to cost(parking) and traffic. Also 8 hours from where? I can think of spots the could add an hour to your travel time if thoose areas are badly located. Also northern part isn't very helpful a cross street is kinda needed or the neighboorhood(a.k.a loop or near west side or Garfield park).

Last edited by chirack; 11-27-2012 at 12:34 PM..

Old 11-27-2012, 07:41 PM

12 posts, read 29,183 times
Hey there mattywo who are you the internet censor. Unfortunately for you this is America and not China. My opinion of the city of Chicago remains unchanged. Have been there and it is not a nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs