Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 10:48 AM

5 posts, read 20,263 times

Advertisements

There is always a word war about this topic. But I need opinion for my situation. We lived in Michigan for 10 years before we moved to Chicagoland for my spouses' college. We like the NW suburbs so far. We have 2 young kids (3 &6) Having worked in automotive industry for 10 years, I feel that I have better opportunity in Michigan. In Chicago, my only concern at this point is travel time to and from work. Plus, I hear the taxes are going to go up and worst state of finances for Illinois. What is your opinion, especially to raise family? We don't do too much outdoor activities... in Michigan we travelled to Mackinaw and thats about it. About museums and other activities that chicago has to offer. in the past 2.5 years, we only did musuem once or twice. Couldn't we do it drivingfrom michigan? Plus Michigan has low cost of living....
I appreciate your opinion in this matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 11:14 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
I am confused, you live in the NW suburbs of Chicago and you currrently have a job related to the auto industry? That seems odd.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:52 AM

70 posts, read 210,106 times
It sounds like you really want to live in Michigan. I doubt many people on this board are going to tell you that you should move to Detroit, because (at least from what I've read) we generally like the Chicago area.

You could certainly drive here from Michigan to go to the museum once a year, many people do. Personally, I would never want to live in the Detroit burbs, even with cheaper taxes.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:53 AM

I used to work in auto industry. so I meant to say, that it is easier to find another one in MI

Old 12-12-2012, 04:32 PM

694 posts, read 2,016,288 times
Another one where who knows if its legit, but I'll answer just for fun. I travel to Detroit to work often. There are some similarities between Chicago and Detroit suburbs. Living in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago will most likely be similar to living in Novi, Northfield or Plymouth. Inner suburbs of Chicago such as Niles, Harwood Heights would match up to Warren, Royal Oak. You have a rust bucket number of cities south of Detroit such as Trenton and Woodhaven that are similar to some of Chicago south suburbs such as Lansing, Calumet City. Areas north of Detroit, such as the Grosse Points, Rochester and Birmingham are similar to some northern suburbs of Chicago, but the level of affluence in the Chicago northern suburbs is much higher than in Detroit.

Key Observations:
Detroit = Coney Dog, Chicago= Chicago Dog
Detroit= Free Highways, Chicago= Tollways
Detroit= Poor City center, Chicago= thriving city center
Detroit= Feeling of severe economic downturn with many closed businesses, Chicago= Not so much
Detroit= Kind of dirty, Chicago= Cleaner
Detroit= Massive Ghetto's/abandoned buildings, Chicago= Ghetto's largely cut off from most's folks sight
Detroit= The car is everywhere, Chicago= Solid public transportation (train, bus, etc.)
Detroit= Not much of a social scene, Chicago= Big social scene
Detroit= War torn city, Chicago= World Class City
Detroit Suburbs= Acceptable, Chicago Suburbs= Desirable (for the most part)

Old 12-12-2012, 07:56 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,868 times
I agree. I too, spend a lot of time in SE & Central Michigan for various reasons. It is a bit of a downer when the city that your burbs are anchoring is in such decay. That being said, Metro Detroit does have some great suburban areas, and some of these towns try to compensate for Detroit city's lack of entertainment offerings. For example, you have Royal Oak and Birmingham in Metro Detroit which offer a decent amount of nightlife for suburban standards (particularly Royal Oak). But the amount of options within the city of Chicago simply dwarfs most of Metro Detroit by leaps & bounds. For someone looking for the suburban lifestyle, however, the two regions aren't tremendously different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
Another one where who knows if its legit, but I'll answer just for fun. I travel to Detroit to work often. There are some similarities between Chicago and Detroit suburbs. Living in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago will most likely be similar to living in Novi, Northfield or Plymouth. Inner suburbs of Chicago such as Niles, Harwood Heights would match up to Warren, Royal Oak. You have a rust bucket number of cities south of Detroit such as Trenton and Woodhaven that are similar to some of Chicago south suburbs such as Lansing, Calumet City. Areas north of Detroit, such as the Grosse Points, Rochester and Birmingham are similar to some northern suburbs of Chicago, but the level of affluence in the Chicago northern suburbs is much higher than in Detroit.

Key Observations:
Detroit = Coney Dog, Chicago= Chicago Dog
Detroit= Free Highways, Chicago= Tollways
Detroit= Poor City center, Chicago= thriving city center
Detroit= Feeling of severe economic downturn with many closed businesses, Chicago= Not so much
Detroit= Kind of dirty, Chicago= Cleaner
Detroit= Massive Ghetto's/abandoned buildings, Chicago= Ghetto's largely cut off from most's folks sight
Detroit= The car is everywhere, Chicago= Solid public transportation (train, bus, etc.)
Detroit= Not much of a social scene, Chicago= Big social scene
Detroit= War torn city, Chicago= World Class City
Detroit Suburbs= Acceptable, Chicago Suburbs= Desirable (for the most part)

Old 12-13-2012, 01:17 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
I think some of the suburbs of Detroit are nice like Auburn Hills or Bloomfield hills and compare favorably to some of Chicagos suburbs. Other than that I think Chicago is way better as an area to live in.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:23 PM

That was good comparision lakecountylifer and Toria. What will be long term prospect for the states finances. Both are in big deep hole. What's anticipated in the longterm in terms of schools and taxes...
I can see taxes are going up in IL with the budget gap...

Old 12-14-2012, 07:41 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paladi View Post
That was good comparision lakecountylifer and Toria. What will be long term prospect for the states finances. Both are in big deep hole. What's anticipated in the longterm in terms of schools and taxes...
I can see taxes are going up in IL with the budget gap...
Who knows, but IL taxes will undoubtedly go up. However, what the others say is true. Chicago burbs are in a much better place, are in a much healthier and dynamic metro, with better prospects over the long haul. Detroit suburbs are certainly nice (esp., Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham, Royal Oak, Plymouth, etc.), and pound for pound, Detroit may have more appealing 'burbs. Of course, Chicago and Detroit, as cities, are an entirely different matter.

If you are looking for rough comparisons of type of suburbs, I offer this, but note Chicago has way more suburbs and diversity than the Detroit area. This is incredibly rough and based on my own stereotypes...
  • The Barrington (NW) area would be somewhat like your Bloomfield Hills/Orchard Lake area. Even a bit of Plymouth.
  • Winnetka / Highland Park is an amalgam of the Grosse Pointes
  • Evanston (N border burb) / Oak Park (W border burb)would be a mix of Birmingham and Royal Oak (leaning to Birmingham) with maybe a little Dearborn thrown in.
  • Schaumburg would roughly be Southfield
  • Oakbrook is Troy-ish
  • Des Plaines, Morton Grove are Warren-ish.

Last edited by BigLake; 12-14-2012 at 07:52 AM..

Old 12-14-2012, 08:40 AM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
BigLake and LakeCountyLifer have the comparison right. Although I still insist, that despite the huge difference between Chicago and Detroit, I think some people still overestimate the difference between the suburbs of the two cities.

The suburbs are VERY similar. Sure theres no doubt that Chicagos existence has a positive effect on its suburbs, mostly in the terms of property value, accessibility to amenities, etc. The main difference from what I have seen is that:

1. Detroit suburbs are about 2/3 blue collar (Wayne and Macomb mostly), 1/3 white collared (Oakland mostly), Chicago about 1/3 blue collar (South-southwest burbs), 2/3 white collar (west and north)

2. Big difference is between INNER burbs. The age of housing stock, era of building and progressive distance from respective cities is very similar, difference in Chicago, ESPECIALLY in the north inner burbs, and some in the west burbs, is that there is a lot more reinvestment/revitalization. This can be seen in teardowns, infill. If Park Ridge and Skokie were placed outside Detroit, they would not be as thriving today. Middle and Outer burbs are similar -very little difference.

3. Detroit obviously people are more into cars for sure, and know more about cars.

4. Ethnic diversity. For a city as diverse and international, Chicago very much has relatively homogenous suburbs compared to those that surround NYC, LA, DC, and SF. So, much so that the demographics are similar to suburbs of smaller, less world class cities. Detroit burbs have a huge (the biggest) Arab population, as well as Chaldeans, other traditionally Muslim groups like Albanians, Chicago burbs have one of the biggest Mexican populations as well as Polish, and some other eastern Europeans.

5. The surrounding rural and exurbs have a bit more patches of woods and apple orchards outside metro Detroit, whereas Chicago exurbs/rural areas are more cornfield.

And of course, the south side of Chicago is similar to the city of Detroit, although the South Side is much less abandoned, and when buildings do get abandoned, the city is pretty quick to tear down abandoned buildings, and approve new buildings. Although the upper middle class, "buppy" (contraction of black yuppy) culture and neighborhoods of Detroits far NW side are as nice, or even a little nicer compared to Hyde Park Kenwood, Beverly, etc.

Its downtown and the north side that have comparisons to NYC, with downtown like a mini Manhattan, and the north side being like Brooklyn/Queens. (Brooklyn close to the lake, Queens like away from the lake). Even when Detroit was in its heyday and gaining on Chicago population wise, with magnificent architecture, it never quite was like Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs