Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 09:13 PM

6 posts, read 15,940 times

Advertisements

During our home search, we found a possible favorite Naperville home, and so far the only drawback seems to be that it's within 50 yards of a long line of high voltage power lines. I'm concerned for 2 reasons: 1. the potential health and safety risks of the electromagnetic field (EMF)? 2. will this end up feeling like a huge eye sore each time we pull into the drive way, even if we love everything else about the house? I'd love any thoughts or advice on buying a property that borders high voltage power lines. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 09:26 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
The World Health Organization has found no health risks in over 30,000 studies... WHO | What are electromagnetic fields?

Visually it is another story. Overhead power lines are UGLY. People avoid them. Homes near them have to be discounted compared to identical homes with no such visually unappealing distractions.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:06 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
EMF levels in homes adjacent to High Tension lines are lower than those created by electrical appliances. However the appearance can detract from property value. Presumably you are getting it at a lower price at the beginning.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:01 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,362,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The World Health Organization has found no health risks in over 30,000 studies... WHO | What are electromagnetic fields?

Visually it is another story. Overhead power lines are UGLY. People avoid them. Homes near them have to be discounted compared to identical homes with no such visually unappealing distractions.
They are also loud. When it is humid, the humming and crackling can get very loud in a suburban area that is otherwise quiet. On a day like today (low 40s and raining) the lines are really singing.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:16 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,260,841 times
BUT, it does provide open space that you may not normally have.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:39 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,833 times
Visually most people find them ugly, I don't mind if they are there or not. They do make for cheaper housing in the immediate area.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:33 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarita821 View Post
During our home search, we found a possible favorite Naperville home, and so far the only drawback seems to be that it's within 50 yards of a long line of high voltage power lines. I'm concerned for 2 reasons: 1. the potential health and safety risks of the electromagnetic field (EMF)? 2. will this end up feeling like a huge eye sore each time we pull into the drive way, even if we love everything else about the house? I'd love any thoughts or advice on buying a property that borders high voltage power lines. Thanks!!
We are in the same situation. We have a 230,000 volt tower within 200 feet. The electricity won't bother you or cause your first born to have 2 heads. It is an eyesore but the nice thing is that you can get at least a 20% markdown on the house- more if you know how to margain. The only thing the electricty will bother is AM radio. If you like AM radio, don't buy it!

Old 12-29-2012, 04:43 PM

23 posts, read 42,703 times
I would not buy it.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:29 PM

3 posts, read 10,556 times
EMFs cause cancer, and there are unbiased studies that prove it. (I have an environmental science degree plus have worked in the field.) Realtors and people wanting to stick their heads in the sand will tell you not to worry. I would worry though, and more about the things you don't see than the eyesore of the lines themselves. For the sake of you and your family's health, please do not buy that home!!!!

Old 01-02-2013, 12:44 AM

936 posts, read 2,202,127 times
Some of the best studies on EMFs were done by the military because they have so many people living on bases with all sorts of towers. Those older studies show health risks but have been muted in favor of the cellular telephone companies' studies that have a bias showing no problems. I personally wouldn't buy there.

Also, you can look up info on some of the trade associations that represent tower workers and you'll see where they too have concerns over EMFs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs