Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 06:47 PM

23 posts, read 86,869 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I( young newly weds Asian Americans) are relocating from Washington DC to Chicago and are trying to find a place to live mid way between Chicago and Aurora for the various reasons listed below:

1) He will be working with the FAA in Aurora
2) I will be working downtown in Chicago within the IT sector
3)Looking for a diverse community but if possible a low crime rate area
4)Close to the metro/train
5)Definitely a place which is close to shopping and fun activites for people in their 20s
6)We just bought a house in DC, thus apartment complexes that are within $1000 in a nice neighborhood would be a bonus

So the million dollar question-what would you guys recommend?

Also I might be coming just for a week or two to scout the area while my husband starts working, where would you recommend as a temporary place to stay?

Thanks All-much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 10:57 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,132 times
I'm moving this to the suburbs forum since you aren't looking for a place in the city.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:09 AM

137 posts, read 549,568 times
Quote:
Hi,

My husband and I( young newly weds Asian Americans) are relocating from Washington DC to Chicago and are trying to find a place to live mid way between Chicago and Aurora for the various reasons listed below:

1) He will be working with the FAA in Aurora
2) I will be working downtown in Chicago within the IT sector
3)Looking for a diverse community but if possible a low crime rate area
4)Close to the metro/train
5)Definitely a place which is close to shopping and fun activites for people in their 20s
6)We just bought a house in DC, thus apartment complexes that are within $1000 in a nice neighborhood would be a bonus

So the million dollar question-what would you guys recommend?

Also I might be coming just for a week or two to scout the area while my husband starts working, where would you recommend as a temporary place to stay?

I think to fit your bill - you should consider Lisle. It's on the train route in the middle of your two destinations. It's quite a diverse community. The actual community within Lisle that I think worth considering is Four Lakes.

It's fairly convenient to the train in Lisle. Here's the schedule so you can check it out.
Railway Schedule

For Fun Activities, this community has Four Lakes for fishing and paddling. It also has walking trails, volleyball courts, tennis courts, a mini ski/snow board hill. A couple of swimming pools, and a pub with a great VIBRANT community. If you're still bored - Naperville is less than 10 minutes to town. Shopping, superb dining, festivals etc.

You could realistically get into something like a one bedroom for right around $1000 or slightly less for a studio, but that would probably be somewhat tight for two. Most of the units actually have a washer and dryer in the unit too, so that's a bonus.

Moderator cut: realtor ad

Just a FYI - Naperville just opened a new grocery store, with a wonderful reception last week! Check it out.
Local Asian Grocery

When you come to stay check out the Marriott's Fairfield Inn on Diehl Rd. I think if you book through the internet, the rates are slightly better than the Days Inn if you do it in advance, and the accommodations are certainly far superior.

Good Luck

Last edited by jessiegirl_98; 10-17-2007 at 07:41 AM..

Old 10-17-2007, 03:33 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdevane View Post
I think to fit your bill - you should consider Lisle. It's on the train route in the middle of your two destinations. It's quite a diverse community. The actual community within Lisle that I think worth considering is Four Lakes.

It's fairly convenient to the train in Lisle. Here's the schedule so you can check it out.
Railway Schedule

For Fun Activities, this community has Four Lakes for fishing and paddling. It also has walking trails, volleyball courts, tennis courts, a mini ski/snow board hill. A couple of swimming pools, and a pub with a great VIBRANT community. If you're still bored - Naperville is less than 10 minutes to town. Shopping, superb dining, festivals etc.

You could realistically get into something like a one bedroom for right around $1000 or slightly less for a studio, but that would probably be somewhat tight for two. Most of the units actually have a washer and dryer in the unit too, so that's a bonus.

Moderator cut: realtor ad

Just a FYI - Naperville just opened a new grocery store, with a wonderful reception last week! Check it out.
Local Asian Grocery

When you come to stay check out the Marriott's Fairfield Inn on Diehl Rd. I think if you book through the internet, the rates are slightly better than the Days Inn if you do it in advance, and the accommodations are certainly far superior.

Good Luck
Is Lisle mid way? Isn't it west of the midway point? I

Old 10-18-2007, 07:59 AM

23 posts, read 86,869 times
thanks All!

What is a bit closer to the Chicago side than the aurora side? and for the metro do we have to take the train to catch the local subway to the city? that is what i have seen people do in DC

what is the city you would recommend on the local subway that goes the max west, i.e closest to aurora?

as for nightlife--lisle sounds nice and fun- Hubbie and I are planning to soak up Chicago while we are there-both foodies-so thai/indian/pak/korean food much appreciated.

also looking for abundant cheap asian grocery stores, am willing to take a train ride there if possible. what is good and where? also are the lake beaches accessible by train in chicago?

when we talk about cold weather...how cold is cold in Chicago in Dec?

Last edited by SAB_MOVING; 10-18-2007 at 08:29 AM..

Old 10-18-2007, 11:24 PM

Hinsdale, Western Springs and LaGrange are towns with Metra stations on the line that go into Aurora. Those towns are a bit more mid-point or actually closer to the city. They're all really nice towns; in my opinion, nicer than Aurora. Your husband would be using Metra to Aurora, not the subway. The subway runs in the city only as well as in some collar suburbs. If you live in WS, LaGrange or Hinsdale, you won't be too far from the city - maybe 20 miles. You can find Thai and Indian food easily throughout Chicagoland. I'm not too familiar with Paki food other than along Devon Avenue on the northside of the city. There is a HUGE Korean grocery store in Niles, Illinois, but again that's a northern suburb. You'd have to drive there. You can get to the beaches by taking Metra into downtown Chicago and then taking an express bus from Union Station to North Michigan Avenue and getting yourself to Oak Street Beach. December can be 40 degrees of 10 below 0. One never knows. Today it was 71 - it's been warm so far this autumn. December is not usually our coldest month. Jan and Feb are the coldest.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:36 PM

102 posts, read 163,495 times
Why not move on the far east side of Aurora (on the border with Naperville)
Some good subdivisions:
Oakhurst, Stonebridge, Cambridge. Thatchers Grove, Meadow lakes
They also have some new subdivisions going up that resemble row homes near Rt. 59
The area is safe this area is not the bad side of Aurora
They have a train station that goes downtown--the Burlington Northern Santa Fe
That portion feeds into Naperville School District 204
Alot of shopping and places to eat and you will be close to Naperville and their downtown

Old 10-20-2007, 10:12 PM

3 posts, read 15,772 times
Move to Aurora, Aurora, Aurora! It's a great place to live! Easy access to the City via the Burlington Northern from the Aurora train station or the Rte. 59 station on the Nperville-Aurora border. Going by car---easy access to Chicago via I-88. Home costs and rentals are cheaper than DuPage or Cook counties. We are a college town-home of Aurora University and Waubonsee Community College. We are ethnically diverse. We are New in housing(growing, growing, growing) and also have wonderful historic, older neighborhoods. We are the home of one of Illinois' largest indoor Malls (Fox Valley Mall) as well as a huge discount Mall (Chicago Discount Mall) right off of I-88 on Farnsworth. We are a city of Churches, any one you want. We have one of the best libraries with 4 branches. Parks, we have them. Fox Valley has a lot to offer.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avemaria47 View Post
Move to Aurora, Aurora, Aurora! It's a great place to live! Easy access to the City via the Burlington Northern from the Aurora train station or the Rte. 59 station on the Nperville-Aurora border. Going by car---easy access to Chicago via I-88. Home costs and rentals are cheaper than DuPage or Cook counties. We are a college town-home of Aurora University and Waubonsee Community College. We are ethnically diverse. We are New in housing(growing, growing, growing) and also have wonderful historic, older neighborhoods. We are the home of one of Illinois' largest indoor Malls (Fox Valley Mall) as well as a huge discount Mall (Chicago Discount Mall) right off of I-88 on Farnsworth. We are a city of Churches, any one you want. We have one of the best libraries with 4 branches. Parks, we have them. Fox Valley has a lot to offer.
Depends on what you consider easy access to downtown. I work with someone who lives in Oakhurst and her husband has to leave the house at 5:45 to get to work downtown on Metra. She recently left my company because her commute to the Butterfield Road exit off of I355 has gotten really bad in the 3 years that she worked at my company. If someone lives in Aurora and works downtown, they're not going to have much quality time in the evenings with their famllies. That area is getting really populated making an east commute to even Lombard or Oak Brook brutal, much less downtown. It may be easy to get to I88, but once you're on it, the drive into the city is hell and the Metra train ride is long and expensive.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:30 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avemaria47 View Post

Please don't forget that the poster is asking for recommendations between Aurora and downtown.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs