Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 10:21 AM

6 posts, read 15,942 times

Advertisements

We are hoping to buy a home in District 203 and one of the main reasons is the Spanish dual immersion program offered in that district. Due to long commute times, purchasing a home zoned to any of the elementary schools in central or north Naperville that have the immersion programs is not an option. The best and seemingly only option (commute wise) would be a home zoned to Maplebrook.

I realize that inventory is currently low, so we may not find the "perfect" home in Maplebrook and will need to by in a neighborhood zoned to a different 203 elementary school. From what I understand, we would then be part of the lottery to get into the immersion program at Maplebrook, is this correct?

I've tried to do some research on line but I'm wondering if someone could tell me about the realities of applying to the immersion program when you aren't zoned to the immersion schools. How early do you need to apply? How long are the wait lists typically? How likely is it to get into the program once you are wait listed? What has your experience been like if your child does attend the program? Is there just one strand of immersion classes at Maplebrook, so that all the kids will be together in the same homeroom group all 5 years? How has that seemed to work for the children?

Thanks for any help or insights you can offer. I'm hoping to get an idea if we really should go out of our way to buy in district 203 if there is a high likelihood we would not lottery into the immersion program anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 10:44 AM

655 posts, read 1,128,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarita821 View Post
We are hoping to buy a home in District 203 and one of the main reasons is the Spanish dual immersion program offered in that district. Due to long commute times, purchasing a home zoned to any of the elementary schools in central or north Naperville that have the immersion programs is not an option. The best and seemingly only option (commute wise) would be a home zoned to Maplebrook.

I realize that inventory is currently low, so we may not find the "perfect" home in Maplebrook and will need to by in a neighborhood zoned to a different 203 elementary school. From what I understand, we would then be part of the lottery to get into the immersion program at Maplebrook, is this correct?

I've tried to do some research on line but I'm wondering if someone could tell me about the realities of applying to the immersion program when you aren't zoned to the immersion schools. How early do you need to apply? How long are the wait lists typically? How likely is it to get into the program once you are wait listed? What has your experience been like if your child does attend the program? Is there just one strand of immersion classes at Maplebrook, so that all the kids will be together in the same homeroom group all 5 years? How has that seemed to work for the children?

Thanks for any help or insights you can offer. I'm hoping to get an idea if we really should go out of our way to buy in district 203 if there is a high likelihood we would not lottery into the immersion program anyway.
The Spanish dual language program is at Maplebrook currently but it is moving to River Woods school starting in 2013. We have just gone through a major redistribution of students in 203 to even out some of the schools and there was not enough room at Maplebrook for the Dual language program anymore. Below is an excerpt from a letter sent to us from the Maplebrook principal.

"As you know, the Magnet Dual Language Program at Maplebrook has been in place for five years and grown to encompass all grade levels. We have been very pleased to be able offer this program at our school during this time, but the Dual Language Program has now outgrown the space available at Maplebrook.

For the past year, discussions have taken place concerning the best accommodations and location for this program. River Woods Elementary School has been selected as the new home for the Magnet Dual Language Program beginning in August, 2013. The teachers and support staff who work with this program will be making the transition to River Woods with our students."

To answer some of your questions...yes they stay with the same group for the entire six years. At Maplebrook there was one classroom per grade that was dual language. Once you sign up you are committed to the dual language program for the entire time at the school.

This link explains the attendance area vs lottery issue.

Dual Language General Information - Naperville Community Unit School District 203

Hope this helps. Good luck and let me know if you need any other information.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:16 PM

6 posts, read 15,942 times
This is so helpful, thank you! I had no idea about the change to River Woods, so I'm very glad to know this.

Would love to hear from anyone who has had first hand experience with the lottery getting into the immersion program, too.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:37 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,709,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarita821 View Post

I have messaged you a realtor who can help. Please let me know you got it.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:22 PM

3 posts, read 6,001 times
Hi,

We are in the dual language program at a neighborhood school. It is a great program and I hope you get in! This is our 2nd year in the program. We came from another language immersion school out of state, and I can tell you that we have the best of both worlds now - a great public school district (outstanding curriculum and amazing teachers) and language immersion. I was in a similar situation as you (moving to the area specifically for the program) and called the coordinator, Julie, out of the She was extremely friendly and helpful...typical of 203 teachers and staff.

We entered the lottery for our neighborhood school and thankfully got in. We applied as soon as it opened, but I don't know if that made a difference.

Also, Elmwood began its DL program this year. I"m not sure how tight your commute constraints, but you may want to consider looking in that zone since its adjacent to the Maplebook zone.

Hope this helps! You can also msg me if you have specific questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs