Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,119 times

Advertisements

I have been on unemployment for about a year. I am actively looking for work but unfortunately until I can finish school I have been unable to find a job to even closely match the pay I was getting before I was fired. I am willing to lower my standards and take a job if it will get me in the door because there is usually room for advancement. I recently took a job a temp agency and they sent me to a warehouse. I am doing a very boring job which requires me to watch a machine for about 12 hours. I am allowed 1x20 min lunch and 2x10 min breaks, and bathroom breaks aren't covered so I would be leaving my station unattended. They have crappy chairs with no back support and no fatigue mats or anything for me to stand on except concrete. I am not a big ergonamic person but after so many hours of this, especially for 12 hours at night, it just doesn't seem safe.

I took this assignment because it was with a decent company and there was an opportunity to work overtime. I contacted the recruiter and he couldn't understand what my problem was, even though the job wasn't as he explained it to me. I asked him to place me elsewhere and he asked me to stay on for the rest of the week so he could find a replacement. I said I would do that because it's the right thing to do. I am not sure that if I just screwed myself out of my unemployment until I can find another job. Please advise, any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 12:56 AM

16 posts, read 35,504 times
Those are certainly crappy conditions. It's difficult to say how this affects your unemployment (I assume you're in Illinois) because it largely depends on how much you're getting per week for unemployment. if you make more than your entitlement per week at your job, yes you'll lose it and you'll have to reapply. Is that the answer you were looking for? Not entirely sure what you were after.

I have been on unemployment for a while now. I may have to make the decision to move out of state because of how high the cost of living is here compared to other parts of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs