Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2006, 11:50 AM
RJW RJW started this thread

2 posts, read 33,621 times

Advertisements

Currently reside in Oak Park and, for the most part, like it very much. I walk to the CTA and have 20 minute train ride to my job in the Loop. Unfortunately, it appears that my job situation may be changing and I'm looking at a possible commute to Lake Cook Rd. corridor near 294 (location to be determined, but I'm guessing somewhere b/w Buffalo Grove and Deerfield). I am dreading the idea of driving in rush hour traffic each day from Oak Park, so I'm starting to think a move might eventually be in order. I don't know much about the communities that are closer to where I would be working -- Park Ridge looks interesting, but I worry about the O'Hare noise issue. Any recommendations out there? My wife and I are not big fans of cookie cutter suburbs with sprawl and non-descript strip malls. We like Oak Park for that reason (though there are certainly other annoyances that go along with living there) and Park Ridge seems like it might have a similar feel ...and it would at least cut the potential commute in half. We like being relatively close to the city and also to public transit. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Oh, and we have 20 month old daughter and a second baby on the way, so kid friendly is important (dog park would be nice as well).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2006, 05:53 PM

28 posts, read 416,367 times
Generally, anything in that area is very nice. The home prices are insane though, so be prepared. Personally, I don't care for Wheeling or Palatine though (slightly south of the area you discribed), but BG is ok( but many strip malls). As to dog parks, Lake County has at least 4, one very near there in Lake Forest. As to public transport, other than the metra stops, there isn't much in Lake County.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:14 PM

9 posts, read 52,267 times
Default Edison Park

We live in Edison Park (Northwest at Devon). A very nice 2-bdrm condo for which we paid $210K a year ago.

We've found the airport noise can only be heard if the windows are open. A far bigger pain is the Metra, a stone's throw away.

There are four parks within walking distance of our home, one of which (Norwood) is quite big.

Right now traffic on the 90 around O'Hare is godawful due to the construction of the open-road toll, but it should get better once that is finished. We drive to the Schaumburg mall on weekend every so often; traffic is usually very good.

Park Ridge does have a cute (although small) downtown; and its buildings have a quaint, traditional feel to them I haven't seen elsewhere in Chicagoland. We decided against living there ourselves because the Metra is just too infrequent to be useful as a commute to the Loop. My bus+Blue Line is about an hour to the Loop - get a place as close to the Blue Line as you can, it pays off.

We ended up doing much of our shopping in Niles, so you might take a look at that if you're no longer working downtown. Further north (Glenview, Lincolnshire etc) strikes me as boring, with ghastly empty spaces and McMansions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs