Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 08:40 AM

230 posts, read 385,777 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in West Town in Chicago and am interested in purchasing a SFR or a 2-4 family flat. I see that prices in Maywood are incredibly cheap, and many of these homes are beautiful. Though I love living in the city, I have to admit, with a car and a dog, a yard with a garage is tempting. What are people's impressions of this area? Are there good grocery options? Do people find it convenient to get east to the city for work? Are neighbors friendly? Etc, etc... anyone who is familiar with this area, please give me your two cents. Crime is not a real issue for me, unless Maywood has an out of control murder rate or drug problem. Race is a non-issue.

Also, I see that property taxes are super expensive in the suburbs vs. the city. Can someone address that? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 08:49 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
While the murder rate of late in Maywood is not as eye popping as it once was the area is still perhaps the single most violent suburb west of Chicago. Drug arrests are common, as are the kinds of crime that often drug sales -- theft, assault, prostitution. I colleague once owed a mid sized apartment building in Maywood and despite the fact that he was on good terms with the local police force he eventually sold the place for a loss as it was just too many headaches...

Depressingly there is little sign of things looking up in Maywood or surrounding areas. Jobs that once existed in distribution / logistics firms near O'Hare are scarce.

There are better options with less downsides.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:07 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer33 View Post
I'm currently living in West Town in Chicago and am interested in purchasing a SFR or a 2-4 family flat. I see that prices in Maywood are incredibly cheap, and many of these homes are beautiful. Though I love living in the city, I have to admit, with a car and a dog, a yard with a garage is tempting. What are people's impressions of this area? Are there good grocery options? Do people find it convenient to get east to the city for work? Are neighbors friendly? Etc, etc... anyone who is familiar with this area, please give me your two cents. Crime is not a real issue for me, unless Maywood has an out of control murder rate or drug problem. Race is a non-issue.

Also, I see that property taxes are super expensive in the suburbs vs. the city. Can someone address that? Thanks!
Try Cicero. Still dirt cheap, and much closer to the City and safer.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
You're better off staying in the City and finding an appropriate SFH or 2-4 flat that you can afford.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:19 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Do it. You have found a glitch in the system--an extraordinarily desirable location with unbelievable prices! I'm going to call my Realtor now; like the rest of the city, I'll be right behind you! Woo-hoo!

Old 01-24-2013, 09:21 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Probably true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
You're better off staying in the City and finding an appropriate SFH or 2-4 flat that you can afford.
There are single family homes in parts of Chicago that are boring but safe for remarkably low prices, smaller two flats are harder to find,mbut they are out there...

While don't agree with all the various games that Chicago"s politicians setup I have noticed that lower priced homes in Chicago often have significantly more affordable propety taxes than in run down suburbs and that alone makes for a better affordability quotient. combined with the fact that some of the boring spots are relatively close to things like Forst Preseves ( or cemeteries ...) this can be ideal for a dog owner as the quiet is hard to find otherwise.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Try Cicero. Still dirt cheap, and much closer to the City and safer.
I stayed in Cicero with a friend when I first came to the area. I like it ... but Maywood seems to have larger homes and bigger yards.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are single family homes in parts of Chicago that are boring but safe for remarkably low prices, smaller two flats are harder to find,mbut they are out there...

While don't agree with all the various games that Chicago"s politicians setup I have noticed that lower priced homes in Chicago often have significantly more affordable propety taxes than in run down suburbs and that alone makes for a better affordability quotient. combined with the fact that some of the boring spots are relatively close to things like Forst Preseves ( or cemeteries ...) this can be ideal for a dog owner as the quiet is hard to find otherwise.
We agree!

Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 AM

Is there a reason property taxes are so outrageous in the suburbs? If you recommend the city, which neighborhoods would you consider?

Old 01-24-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer33 View Post
Is there a reason property taxes are so outrageous in the suburbs? If you recommend the city, which neighborhoods would you consider?
The City has a large CBD. Most of those inner suburbs have a low RE tax base so taxes are high on residential owners.

Portage Park, Jefferson Park, Avondale, Albany Park, Mt. Greenwood, Dunning, North Park are all good places to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs