Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:12 PM

4,111 posts, read 9,018,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Calm down.
I have taken classes at Govenors State iin University Park, was in traffic court in Markham about three months ago, was with a friend who buried their mom in Worth about 6 weeks ago, have friends that still teach at Bremmen Twnship Highschool in Midlotian, have relatives that live in Oak Lawn, bought my plasma back at The Little Guys old store in Glenwood.

I loves the south suburbs...

The OP asked about stability and "the future" and I am doing my best to help them (and any one with the desire to learn...) that beyond the recent whipsaw in real estate values there are all kinds of forces / trends that can be weighed.
Glenwood! There's a suburb in close proximity to Flossmoor...

The rest are also less than 45 minutes away to Flossmoor.. And in a thread about Flossmoor too! Imagine that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 07:45 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,971,395 times
Hey, look at this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/19183755-post25.html This time I didn't even use the the dictionary...

Old 02-21-2013, 09:04 PM

Lol, I remember that post and that thread, Chet. Thanks for the re-cap. As I noted in that thread, down here Blueberry Hill has hefty competition with Big Apple which has locations in Chicago Heights and Hazel Crest.

And you shouldn't presume anything about me either. Although I have very little familarity with the NW burbs.

I apologize if I came off as a jerk. You are right that downtown Flossmoor is a stone throw away from a main path and therefore slightly off a "beaten path". But if you made a wrong turn, you would immediately be upon it..

And I still think in a thread about Flossmoor, there should be more chatter about south / southwest burbs. I mean because Flossmoor is pretty far removed from anything that's not downtown, the south side, the south suburbs, the southwest suburbs and NW Indiana. No one died and made me the king of anything but it's still irritating.

Last edited by urza216; 02-21-2013 at 09:16 PM..

Old 02-21-2013, 09:45 PM

Not much irritates me. Well being from a State with 12M souls who live and breath pride in their Alpha city along with producing corn and soybeans...

But seriously when I read articles about "neo-traditional" urban planning or schemes for towns further out in the SW suburbs trying to "create" a town center I do feel like screaming that such efforts would be better directed toward promoting the existing towns like Flossmoor... The fact is that there are some people that really are completely unaware of what sorts of options exist in the region.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:02 AM

34 posts, read 113,926 times
Quote:
But seriously when I read articles about "neo-traditional" urban planning or schemes for towns further out in the SW suburbs trying to "create" a town center I do feel like screaming that such efforts would be better directed toward promoting the existing towns like Flossmoor... The fact is that there are some people that really are completely unaware of what sorts of options exist in the region.
I completely agree. It's such a shame.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:51 PM

9 posts, read 16,597 times
BER78 - We just recently moved out of Flossmoor - to another state, for a job transfer - nothing regarding the area. We loved our time there. I would be happy to chat with you about the area if you want to private message me.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:17 AM

5 posts, read 8,878 times
Taxes are too high. The country clubs are all going to start closing. First was Ravisloe, I'll let you guess the next. Once the clubs are gone, the truly affluent won't have a reason to stay there, and they'll go elsewhere, taking their investment dollars with them.

Need to reduce the property taxes... which means cut government waste... which means.... good luck.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concerned2013 View Post
Taxes are too high. The country clubs are all going to start closing. First was Ravisloe, I'll let you guess the next. Once the clubs are gone, the truly affluent won't have a reason to stay there, and they'll go elsewhere, taking their investment dollars with them.

Need to reduce the property taxes... which means cut government waste... which means.... good luck.
Country clubs are the only reason "truly affluent" people live in Flossmoor, huh? And apparently these "truly affluent" people are the glue that holds the town together, you suggest. Assuming your claims about the sociology of this area are even true, would you mind supplying a link? I've heard nothing about any country clubs closing down..

Old 04-22-2013, 02:28 PM

I have heard from numerous sources that many golf courses / country clubs (both fully private members only kind of places and the privately owned "daily fee" types) are facing an awful combination of aging members /patrons, rising costs of operation (which taxes are a part of but also all kinds of increases in cost of food and staff...), downturn in the banquet bsuiness, and changes in younger people's tastes in recreation.

I doubt that there is much different about the golf spots in southern Cook Co compared to other parts of the region -- golfers tend not to generate any "ancillary business" except for the rare "pro shop" and maybe a tank of gas for the ride home.

If some courses close / clubs fold it probably will not have any deleterous effect and if the right kind of developers can get their hands of the right kind of course it could be a plus -- some courses have layouts that they could support some townhouses or even single family detaached homes and still have a very nice course and clubhouse....

Old 04-22-2013, 06:35 PM

5 posts, read 8,878 times
Quote:
I have heard from numerous sources that many golf courses / country clubs (both fully private members only kind of places and the privately owned "daily fee" types) are facing an awful combination of aging members /patrons, rising costs of operation (which taxes are a part of but also all kinds of increases in cost of food and staff...), downturn in the banquet bsuiness, and changes in younger people's tastes in recreation.

I doubt that there is much different about the golf spots in southern Cook Co compared to other parts of the region -- golfers tend not to generate any "ancillary business" except for the rare "pro shop" and maybe a tank of gas for the ride home.

If some courses close / clubs fold it probably will not have any deleterous effect and if the right kind of developers can get their hands of the right kind of course it could be a plus -- some courses have layouts that they could support some townhouses or even single family detaached homes and still have a very nice course and clubhouse....
Agreed (about much of the state of golf), but what I was getting at is that, most North Shore and "Hinsdale area" clubs still have waiting lists. The club was the center of the members social lives for generations. Clubs on the South Side had waiting lists until 2005... Now, if you're breathing (and then maybe not), and your check clears, you're in. The "truly" affluent have moved out of the area. BUT, you have homes that sold for $1 million a few years ago, that had reasonable taxes of $35k (for a home of that value). Now the home is worth $350k, and the taxes are still $35k... and going up...

The people that can afford $35k in taxes might as well buy the $1 million dollar home in Hinsdale.

I was only using the clubs closing on the south side vs. elsewhere as indicative of the economic and social demographics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs