Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 11:04 AM

17 posts, read 57,596 times

Advertisements

My family is looking at homes in Beverly and Flossmoor. We love the charm of both communities. FWIW we would be using Metra to commute into the Loop each day and utilizing the Catholic schools for both grade school and high school. Also, yes, we are white.

We are a little more comfortable with Beverly at this point, mostly due to the fact that it's a much shorter commute and there is a significant property tax savings, even when considering the slightly higher school tuition compared to IJP in Flossmoor.

However, I'm concerned about our child's safety growing up in Beverly, as I read stories about kids getting jumped in the neighborhood. Stories like that draw us back to Flossmoor.

Here's my question: does Flossmoor (and Homewood) have a realistic chance of maintaining racial stability like Beverly? In other words, are young white families still moving to the area to put down roots?

I hate that I even have to ask this question. I have no problem sending our kid to a racially-mixed school like IJP and Marian, but only if there is a stable and balanced mix. No one wants to be in the super minority.

So, if we choose Flossmoor, are we potentially getting a great deal on a house in a community that will prove stable and perhaps even rebound (such as those who purchased homes in Beverly for a steal in the '80s)? Or are we potentially buying into a losing situation? Is there anyone that lives in or recently moved to the area that can share their thoughts?

(I've read all of the threads about H-F, some of which are quite a few years old at this point. So, I'm just curious to see what people's latest thoughts are now that there seems to be a little more traction in the housing market.)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 11:17 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
The question you have to ask is really something I think more people should be considering ANYWHERE in Illinois -- what will WHEN the the coming signficant increases in taxes AND reductions in government supplied services. I don't care if you shopping someplace where average propety taxes are under $5k/ yr or 10x that -- just ask yourself what is going to happen WHEN things increase at a rate faster than inflation. How values will fall. Fewer people will be able to afford private schools. The public schools will have more kids to contend with and less money to maintain services.

I know that the situation with vacancies of commercial properties in both the "core" of even the nicest areas shopping disticts is quite severe. It will get worse.

The kinds of increases in transit costs are going to be larger and more frequent.

Tough times ahead.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:28 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
Honestly, I really think it's just this forum. The maintenance of racial stability in Flossmoor is pretty much a non-issue in both the real world and if you were to read ANYTHING other than this forum. I dare anyone to prove me wrong.

I would be more concerned about why you're choosing to move to our town if you don't plan on utizilizing the public schools and you work downtown. Flossmoor has very easy access to downtown but Beverly is indeed closer. Flossmoor is lower in crime though, yeah. The police will slow down thier squad car and stare you up and down if you are walking the streets late at night. It's a very "nice" town.

Last edited by urza216; 02-16-2013 at 11:48 AM..

Old 02-16-2013, 11:35 AM

Respectfully, the employment base of Illinois is not healthy. Changes in the some of the most important sectors of even the most profitable firms are not likely to result in anything other than consolidation of firms , more income to top tier employees and reduced prospects for all others.mi know many people that have relocated to States like Indiana and Texas.

Last edited by chet everett; 02-16-2013 at 12:13 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The question you have to ask is really something I think more people should be considering ANYWHERE in Illinois -- what will WHEN the the coming signficant increases in taxes AND reductions in government supplied services. I don't care if you shopping someplace where average propety taxes are under $5k/ yr or 10x that -- just ask yourself what is going to happen WHEN things increase at a rate faster than inflation. How values will fall. Fewer people will be able to afford private schools. The public schools will have more kids to contend with and less money to maintain services.

I know that the situation with vacancies of commercial properties in both the "core" of even the nicest areas shopping disticts is quite severe. It will get worse.

The kinds of increases in transit costs are going to be larger and more frequent.

Tough times ahead.
I agree with this to a certain extent. It's another one of the reasons that we would love to stay in the city. While I have no doubt that city property taxes will be increasing in the future, the sheer size of the tax base will at least help mitigate some of those increases vis-a-vis many of the suburbs.

I also have think that the established rail-centric suburbs will continue to do well, as more people shift to public transportation and walkable communities. Which is why I have to think that Homewood and Flossmoor will stay desirable.

In any event, my wife and I are fortunate to have long-term, professional jobs that will keep us in Chicago--hopefully for the duration of our careers. So, unless all out Detroit-style armageddon hits, we don't plan on moving out of state anytime soon.

Also, if home prices in the region are to fall as a result of future significant tax increases, is some of that price decline already baked into Flossmoor home prices? Particularly if we are spending $80/psf in Flossmoor vs. $200/psf in La Grange or $300/psf in Hinsdale?

Old 02-16-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Honestly, I really think it's just this forum. The maintenance of racial stability in Flossmoor is pretty much a non-issue in both the real world and if you were to read ANYTHING other than this forum. I dare anyone to prove me wrong.

I would be more concerned about why you're choosing to move to our town if you don't plan on utizilizing the public schools and you work downtown. Flossmoor has very easy access to downtown but Beverly is indeed closer. Flossmoor is lower in crime though, yeah. The police will slow down thier squad car and stare you up and down if you are walking the streets late at night. It's a very "nice" town.
I hope you're right! Every time I visit Flossmoor I certainly see a lot of white people happily going about their lives. It's the 2010 census numbers that worried me. There was quite a large turnover in only 10 years, so I was curios as to whether that turnover is more or less complete or if people are still trying to get out but can't because of the housing market.

We also have family connections that are closer to Flossmoor than Beverly, which is another reason Flossmoor is on our list. As for the Catholic schools, my understanding is that Western Ave. Elementary is great but that Parker Junior High is so-so. Also, we'd prefer the consistency of a K-8 experience at IJP where the kids can grow up together.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:24 PM

If you are getting a big house for less money but you are still one of the more expensive homes in the area you might ne better off getting a home that is on the lower end in a town with a higher median price.

When it comes to longer term price stability the degree to which schools be a role cannot be over emphasized. Although HF is one of the more desirable schools in the south suburbs it ranks well down the list of all suburban high schools.

It does not sound as though there is anything that would force the OP to limit themselves to the south suburbs and therein lies the biggest worry about any of the spots on the southside -- without any reason to choose a southside community, city or suburb, most couples in the same situation as the OP would likely prefer someplace west, north, or NW. I think there are some valid reason for this, including the proximity to O'Hare, general wider range of employment and shopping, more efficient commuting options. So too are there some reasons that are less objectively sound -- though the "badness" of the "southside" is celebrated in song and media sensationalism the reality is that crime levels are probably not a reason avoid a nicer spot like Flossmore...

If you're comfortable with trade offs that currently do allow ones housing dollar to buy more in Flossmore there is always the possibility that others will see that same value and drive up prices too, although the longer term trends suggest that as suburbs and city neighborhoods increasing diverge into "highly desirable" and "less desirable" polar extreme any such turn arounds are rare...

Old 02-16-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BER78 View Post
I hope you're right! Every time I visit Flossmoor I certainly see a lot of white people happily going about their lives. It's the 2010 census numbers that worried me.
It's called progress. More black people can afford Flossmoor now. Why should this worry you?

Blacks become prevalent in the North Shore before Flossmoor is "over-run" with blacks..

Old 02-16-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
It's called progress. More black people can afford Flossmoor now. Why should this worry you?

Blacks become prevalent in the North Shore before Flossmoor is "over-run" with blacks..
It worries me because Flossmoor is part of an overall region that has seen better days and that has had significant white flight over the years. Is Flossmoor in the middle of white flight or has it stabilized? Clearly, if I'm looking at Beverly and Flossmoor, I have no problem living in a diverse community. However, diversity is a two-way street and if the white population declines another 25% over the next 10 years, then that would indeed concern me because that shows a significant disinvestment in the community.

The homes I'm looking at in Flossmoor Estates are selling for less than what their owners paid for them 20 years ago. Many have been on the market going back to 2007. That goes far beyond the housing bubble burst. Does this mean that I have the purchasing opportunity of a lifetime or am I just at risk of grabbing a falling knife?

Old 02-16-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BER78 View Post
It worries me because Flossmoor is part of an overall region that has seen better days and that has had significant white flight over the years. Is Flossmoor in the middle of white flight or has it stabilized? Clearly, if I'm looking at Beverly and Flossmoor, I have no problem living in a diverse community. However, diversity is a two-way street and if the white population declines another 25% over the next 10 years, then that would indeed concern me because that shows a significant disinvestment in the community.

The homes I'm looking at in Flossmoor Estates are selling for less than what their owners paid for them 20 years ago. Many have been on the market going back to 2007. That goes far beyond the housing bubble burst. Does this mean that I have the purchasing opportunity of a lifetime or am I just at risk of grabbing a falling knife?
Flossmoor is an affluent area. A drop in white population doesn't necessarily mean white flight. It's simply a decline in racial inequality. There was a time not too long ago when very very few blacks could afford Flossmoor.

That sounds like the housing market everywhere. You HAVE heard about the housing market crisis, right? You know what's really messed up? Houses in parts of Park Forest are selling for less than a quarter of what they were worth ten years ago.. That's messed up and partially a neighorhood thing. Flossmoor is a nice town though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs