Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 12:37 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,193,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2012 View Post
I think why Naperville got on the "Best" list is because it's a nice town, with decent schools that is still affordable. There are definitely nicer burbs with far superior schools, but most people can't afford to live there. I have lived in the burbs most of my life and 20 years ago, Naperville wasn't on anyone's mind.
With closer proximity to Chicago and good Metra service, Arlington Heights and Mt. Prospect are good values. Cook Co property taxes are typically lower than DuPage and Hersey and Prospect High Schools out-rank Naperville High Schools pretty consistently. Naperville's downtown is large and more lively, but AH's is still pretty decent for a suburb. I like what I see when traveling in Naperville to visit clients and it is a desirable suburb-but it certainly isn't the "be-all, end -all" suburb that some of these "rankings" make it out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 01:27 PM

382 posts, read 820,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousah View Post
they're #34 and #47 on this list.

Search Illinois High Schools | US News

One thing you'll notice about Naperville is that those who live there tend to think very highly of their town
According to the same list you just linked, Naperville high schools rank as follows: Nequa #27, North #34, Waubonsie #45 and Central #47. Metea is too new to be ranked so it was N/A.

If you go to the Sun times, Naperville comes out even better: Naperville Central #12, Nequa #13, (the only ones higher ranked are in the North Shore, as I said, which are all MUCH higher priced areas), North #19, Metea #42.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/educati...-illinois.html

Old 02-21-2013, 02:07 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,950,339 times
Folks this is stupid. The way to evaluate high schools was the way the US News formerly escewed ordinal rankings and instead had tiers like "silver" and "gold".
The problems of failing dysfunctional high schools are not a problem in either of the districts that serve Naperville nor other desirable suburbs. The problems that plague dysfunctional high schools in Chicago or run down suburbs is ranking of such school as unworthy of any "medal" but only desperate concern...

Arguing over who cross a line in a horse race was eliminated by photographing the finish line. The finish line for too many kids at dysfunctional high school is a photograph known as a mug shot.

Last edited by chet everett; 02-21-2013 at 02:33 PM..

Old 02-21-2013, 02:11 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,226,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Folks this is stupid. The way to evaluate high schools was the way the US News formerly escewed ordinal rankings and instead had tier like "silver" and "gold" The problems of failing dysfunctional high schools are not a problem in either of the districts that serve Naperville nor other desirable suburbs. The problems that plague dysfunctional high schools in Chicago or run down suburbs rank this school as unworthy of anything desperate concern...

Arguing over who cross a line in a horse race was eliminated by photographing the finish line. The finish line for too many kids at dysfunctional high school is a photograph known as a mug shot.
Good post Chet

Old 02-21-2013, 03:59 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,193,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Folks this is stupid. The way to evaluate high schools was the way the US News formerly escewed ordinal rankings and instead had tiers like "silver" and "gold".
The problems of failing dysfunctional high schools are not a problem in either of the districts that serve Naperville nor other desirable suburbs. The problems that plague dysfunctional high schools in Chicago or run down suburbs is ranking of such school as unworthy of any "medal" but only desperate concern...

Agreed, yet many rank schools based on past prestige or 2nd hand information. No doubt Naperville schools are solid, but when someone insinuates they're "best in the entire Metro area", that's a bit much.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:03 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,675,663 times
Naperville is a nice town overall with low crime and good schools. The downtown is great and has great nightlife but be warned the crowd is younger. Naperville roads can get congested, Rt.59, 75th, and Washington/Naperville Rd come to mind. The housing market is higher then other towns near it and Naperville seems to lack a bit of diversity. Like I said overall its a great suburb with a lot to like.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:09 PM

344 posts, read 837,942 times
thank you to everyone who contributed
this info is well appreciated

Old 02-22-2013, 10:49 AM

8 posts, read 17,105 times
I lived in Naperville for 4 years before I moved to Arlington Heights (for 3 years now).

Here are my points to compare the two:

1. Traffic: In Naperville, most of the main road (75th, Route 59, Deihl, Naperville rd) are very busy during rush hours. It used to take me about 15 to 20 minutes to reach rt59 metra station from 75th st & rt 59 (at 6.45am). In AH only Rand road is little busy during rush hours, just 5-10mile below speed limit.

2. Metra station: In Naperville, both the station parkings are mostly full unless you reach there very very early. I haven't had any problem in finding parking even at 7.30-8am in AH. And it takes only 28-32 minutes to Downtown from AH as compare to 40 to 45 minutes from Naperville stations.

3. School: Hands down, AH schools are much much much better than Indian Prerie schools (don't know about other schools in Naperville). My son attended both the schools so I have seen the schools. AH schools are much more advance in technology. In 5th grade my son did most of the school projects on iPad, and in 6th grade he got a Macbook in school which he shares with one more student). The gifted program is much better too. High schools in Ah area (Hurshey, Prospect Height and Buffalo grove) are ranked better than Naperville high schools.

4. Proximity to employers: since I belong in IT field, this was very important for me. AllState, Abbott, Walgreens, CVS caremark, Motorola, Discover, Zurich -- so many companies are within 20 minutes drive from my house in AH. In Naperville, BP, TellLabs, Lucent, Internation Trucks are there but they are not recruiting in IT as much as the companies mentioned before.

5. Distance to O'hare: From north AH to O'hare it takes 30 Minutes max and costs about $33 if you take a cab. From Naperville it used to take me about 45-50 minutes to O'hare and I remember paying $55 for cab once. Since my DH travels a lot for job, this was also an important issue for us.

6. Park District and Library: I think Naperville libraries are better than AH library (since there is only one Lib in AH and three in Naperville), but I believe AH park district has better programs, facilities and an outstanding Tennis club and fitness center.

7. Apartments: If you are going to rent an apartment before buying your home, I would recomend to go to Naperville. In AH, only 2 good apartments (the Pointe and stonebridge Village) fall in the award wining schools, all other are either with bad schools or too small). On the other hand, in Naperville there are planty of apartments to choose from.

8. Diversity: IMO, it is comparable in both the suburbs. You will find more Asian Indians, blacks and Hispanics in Naperville than in AH, and more Jewish, Russians, Polish and eastern europens in AH than in Naperville.

I know this thread in not about comparing Naperville to Ah but I have seen suggestions to consider AH over Naperville and I am just trying to give the readers my perspective of these two suburbs. I hope this will help someone.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:27 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,950,339 times
Default Mostly valid points...

I will quibble with the assertion that high schools listed as being "better" than the D204, most rankings would show them very close in performance and if one's defination of Naperville is limited to the schools that serve the traditional core at Naperville North and Naperville Central the performance of those schools is probably a bit better than D214... And even though I love technology in the classroom it is not fair to say its mere presence makes it a "hands down" better school. Either area should be more than acceptable. (In terms of philosophy I give D203 a slight but distinct edge over D214 or D204...).

The traffic coming up Rt 59 is well known and yet another reason to prefer the core of Naperville over areas further out...

Employment wise Motorola is in terrible shape. Several of the prominent employers in Naperville are not even on City-mom's list -- NICOR, Calamos, Traveler's Insurance, Edward Hospital, BMO Harris, Nalco, and Exelon are pretty good bets. Right now things are up in the air for OffficMax...

(there are infurientingly NO state standards in Illinois for gifted programs so those can {and often are} slashed on the whims of whatever cranks get control of a BOE, very much an area for concern for those who feel their children will not do well without appropriate challenges...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by City-mom View Post
I lived in Naperville for 4 years before I moved to Arlington Heights (for 3 years now).

1. Traffic: In Naperville, most of the main road (75th, Route 59, Deihl, Naperville rd) are very busy during rush hours. It used to take me about 15 to 20 minutes to reach rt59 metra station from 75th st & rt 59 (at 6.45am). In AH only Rand road is little busy during rush hours, just 5-10mile below speed limit.

2. Metra station: In Naperville, both the station parkings are mostly full unless you reach there very very early. I haven't had any problem in finding parking even at 7.30-8am in AH. And it takes only 28-32 minutes to Downtown from AH as compare to 40 to 45 minutes from Naperville stations.

3. School: Hands down, AH schools are much much much better than Indian Prerie schools (don't know about other schools in Naperville). My son attended both the schools so I have seen the schools. AH schools are much more advance in technology. In 5th grade my son did most of the school projects on iPad, and in 6th grade he got a Macbook in school which he shares with one more student). The gifted program is much better too. High schools in Ah area (Hurshey, Prospect Height and Buffalo grove) are ranked better than Naperville high schools.

4. Proximity to employers: since I belong in IT field, this was very important for me. AllState, Abbott, Walgreens, CVS caremark, Motorola, Discover, Zurich -- so many companies are within 20 minutes drive from my house in AH. In Naperville, BP, TellLabs, Lucent, Internation Trucks are there but they are not recruiting in IT as much as the companies mentioned before.

5. Distance to O'hare: From north AH to O'hare it takes 30 Minutes max and costs about $33 if you take a cab. From Naperville it used to take me about 45-50 minutes to O'hare and I remember paying $55 for cab once. Since my DH travels a lot for job, this was also an important issue for us.

6. Park District and Library: I think Naperville libraries are better than AH library (since there is only one Lib in AH and three in Naperville), but I believe AH park district has better programs, facilities and an outstanding Tennis club and fitness center.

7. Apartments: If you are going to rent an apartment before buying your home, I would recomend to go to Naperville. In AH, only 2 good apartments (the Pointe and stonebridge Village) fall in the award wining schools, all other are either with bad schools or too small). On the other hand, in Naperville there are planty of apartments to choose from.

8. Diversity: IMO, it is comparable in both the suburbs. You will find more Asian Indians, blacks and Hispanics in Naperville than in AH, and more Jewish, Russians, Polish and eastern europens in AH than in Naperville.

I know this thread in not about comparing Naperville to Ah but I have seen suggestions to consider AH over Naperville and I am just trying to give the readers my perspective of these two suburbs. I hope this will help someone.

Last edited by chet everett; 02-22-2013 at 11:36 AM..

Old 02-22-2013, 11:30 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,226,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City-mom View Post

1. Agree, don't drive on Rt 59 at rush, it sucks. Plan your home search around this if possible.
2. Kind of right, but never not found parking for 7:26 train, but I have a plan. Naperville is the 2nd busiest station of all of metra (after Rt 59 I believe) with frequent express service. 32 minutes from downtown...I take it daily. 40 minutes from RT 59.
3. Ridiculous statement
4. don't know the IT field
5. 40 minutes to O'Hare in the morning, longer from south Nville
6. Naperville wins national awards for the library, check out the park district website, great selection of offerings at all ages
7. don't know anything about AH apartments
8. My children's school is 50% white
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs