Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 09:32 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,068 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased a Neumann Home (about a month ago) and now I hear the company is going bankrupt! I'm wondering if anyone has any additional info. I know a lot of Neumann's customers are probably a lot worse off than me (people who have homes currently under construction) but I'm wondering how this will affect me and my half built subdivision? There are empty lots all over the place, homes currently under construction, parks they are supposed to put in, etc. Are they going to leave my subdivision unfinished? Will another builder buy the remaining land and fill in the empty lots? They still owe me sod and I'm wondering if that will ever happen, and what this means for my home warranty.

Last edited by sbd78; 10-22-2007 at 09:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 07:51 AM

474 posts, read 2,538,771 times
Default Hello 'sbd 78'

Dear Friend:

My son also owns a Neumann Home in the Cortland, Illinois subdivision of "NeuCort" Lakes. That subdivision has been recently completed perhaps a year or so ago. Currently, in that subdivision some recent home 'investors' have been trying to sell their finished homes on the market. So far, very few have been sold due to the current real estate market situation.
Neumann Homes is a good company with quality built homes. From their literature of the past, "Neumann" is owned by a woman and I believe she resides in Wisconsin. That's from memory.
So I am quite surprised that the company would disolve completely. Maybe it is just regathering to the Wisconsin area.
I would be interested in more information if you could provide it? For example, how did you determine that perhaps they are declaring bankruptcy? And where is your Neumann Homes community located that has unfinished homes?
In the Chicago area, the Neumann Homes headquarters is located in Naperville, Illinois. Close to Diehl Road, Winfield Road and Interstate 88. IF you ask, I think I can't look up their specific phone number and address for you. So if you are close to that area, you can do a personal visit with them to find out more about your particular situation.
Visit Town of Cortland -- Welcome to Cortland! and click on the picture of the "NeuCort" Lakes if you wish to see that finished subdivision by Neumann Homes.
And please save my Howell_Street name so that you may ask questions regarding the condition / quality of my son's finished Neumann Home. That's only if you wish to.

Best Regards In Your Situation,

Carter Glass,
Wheaton, IL &
Cortland, IL

Old 10-23-2007, 08:10 AM

Default Hello Again Sbd 78

So here is more information regarding (bankrupt?) Neumann Homes. Please read my above "HOWELL_STREET" thread. Sorry about the above 'typos'. So the Neumann headquarters office building is locate at the following address.

Neumann Homes,
4355 Weaver Parkway
Warrenville, Illinois
Telephone: 1 - 630 - 281 -2000

When you telelphone, be sure to use the area code as listed above. In our greater Wheaton area that also includes Warrenville, an additional area code of '331' was added. So now we have to also dial 1 - 630 in addition to the regular phone number.

I would highly recommend that you visit with them in person at the above address. In that manner, you can obtain better information. Also visit their website which I have not yet done.

Use Map Quest to locate the above address... and PLEASE also keep us informed of what you have heard. THANK YOU !!

Best Regards,

Carter Glass,

Old 10-23-2007, 08:46 AM

Default Another Suggestion For You

Please read my above HOWELL_STREET threads. And here is another suggestion for you. City - Data Forums also has another excellent forum that is called "MORTGAGES". I also spend a lot of time on that forum. So restate your Neumann Homes situation and then ask for some advice among the professional realtors, bankers, and mortgage processors who hang out there. They are very friendly / professional people and will do their best to make viable suggestions.

Carter Glass

Old 10-23-2007, 09:46 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,068 times
Hi Carter,
My Neumann home is in the Neustoneshire subdivision in West Joliet. I just closed on my home a month ago. I know a lot of people who have homes currently under construction are really worried about their future, so I'm lucky that I have at least closed already. I was supposed to have my lot fully sodded and they have yet to put the sod in so I'm wondering if they ever will now. And my subdivision is still in the fairly early stages, it is no where near complete so I wonder what will happen there. There are many homes currently under construction in my subdivision as well. As of yesterday they laid off most of their employees and closed down their sales and construction offices. They are expected to officially file the bankruptcy today. The offices here at my subdivision are closed. My husband tried calling our sales rep and her voice is no longer on the voicemail. Everyone else I have spoken to has not been able to get through by phone either, to any of their numbers. I spoke to some of my neighbors and one neighbor seemed to think that they may try and regroup once the bankruptcy is over with. But who knows? Everyone is very confused right now. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by sbd78; 10-23-2007 at 09:54 AM..

Old 10-23-2007, 09:48 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,596 times
Here's a link to the Chapter 11 filing.

Chapter 11 for Neumann :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Business (http://www.suntimes.com/business/615000,CST-FIN-neumann23.article - broken link)

Best of luck to everybody who's going to be affected by this.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:06 AM

5 posts, read 23,808 times
I started a Yahoo Group for the purpose of folks who are in "Bankruptcy Limbo" with Neumann to help each other:

NeumannHomesBankruptcy : Neumann Homes Bankruptcy

I have also cross-linked the two threads on City-Forum there . . .

I have $16K in a "Neumann escrow account" . . . house that we really wanted, to be completed this December . . . *sigh* . . . house in Los Angeles, CA closes today, out in 30 days, I am in Chicago trying to set something else up for my family of 12

-Alfred

Old 10-23-2007, 11:14 AM

Default Also A Thank You To Our Moderator, Mdz

First off, a thanks to our moderator, 'MDZ' for providing a source of info on Neumann's bankruptcy. In a little while, I will print that article for my son, Jonathan. He owns the NeuCort Lakes house in Cortland.
Every subdivision that Neumann has built in the past, and there are a number around the Chicago area - - is eventually 'signed over' to a homeowner's association. So you will want to also contact them early to get their views and opinions as to whether that homeowner's associationg is going to support Neustonehire. If not, you folks are going to become an island unto yourselves - - with only the sporadic homes that have been completed in that subdivision. So it is important to contact that homeowner's association if it now exists.
When my son, Jonathan, comes home from work this evening, I will ask him if he still has the Neumann document that states MS. Neumann's full name and her Wisconsin address. Of course, this is from my memory of several years ago when Jonathan and I were going through his purchase price. He bought his NeuCort Home about three years ago.
IF I can locate the Neumann residential address, then I will send it to you probably through private contact but still through City - Data.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass

Old 10-23-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Perhaps More Helpful Info?

Although I am quite sure that the owner of Neumann Homes - - at least at one time - - was a Ms. / Mrs. Neumman. - - However, in visiting BUILDER Online: Home Building News, Home Plans, Home Design Ideas and Building Products for Home Builders and regarding their informative article about Neumann Homes going into bankruptcy - - it is also their opinion that Neumann Homes is 'belly up' for good. From memory, I believee chapter 11 is for intent of reformation of the business. But as the article states, maybe they don't intend to reform the business.

On that web site, "Ken Neumann" is listed as the current CEO. So as a possible guess, MAYBE at one time "Ken" placed the company in his wife's name as a tax shelter? But that is only a guess on my part.

In visiting Free People Search by ZabaSearch! there are a few Ken Neumann names with varying middle initials located in Wisconsin. And only as a guess, it would be my guess that Wisconsin is their family residence. That's because they mentioned this home in their literature when my son's house was built in NeuCort Lakes. I suppose it was something like a 'ma & pa' scenario. "Trust us because we are also your friendly neighbors."

The above listed website of "builderonline.com" seems to provide more information than the news media comments.

Carter Glass

Old 10-23-2007, 01:16 PM

79 posts, read 264,512 times
They are working out a plan w/lenders to complete building of the homes "that have already been started". As far as deposits on pending homes, you may be at a loss I'm afraid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs