Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2018, 12:55 PM

363 posts, read 439,311 times

Advertisements

My mom's family was from the south suburban area of Markham, my father's family was from the far north suburban area of Highwood. My parents met in college, at U of I in Champaign. Most of my mom's family (my cousins, etc.) still living in the Chicago area, live in NWI. It is not really comparable to Highwood, which is much more affluent in the surrounding areas, which IMHO is what affects resident's underlying values the most. The entire mind-set always seemed so different, and l honestly could never explain it any other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 05:40 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Default Wha???

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Most of the "mega-metros" would be better off without the rural areas of their states. The Chicago area certainly would be.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e07a1e8bfc70

And let's not forget -- without the former and current ties to traditional agribusiness Chicago would be significantly less important globally. It is frankly impossible to emphasize how deep the ties are and what a HUGE foundation for the region's finance and tech industry would be decimated without that cooperation --
Timeline of CME Achievements
So many subsectors are still fueled by agribusiness --
Agribusiness consulting / Agricultural consulting - Bain & Company

Old 01-21-2018, 08:24 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,855 times
interesting article:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...likely-to-grow

""A lower cost of living, a pro-growth business climate and lower taxes have all played the traditional part, but in combination on the backend, we're really starting to see people recognize and flock to Northwest Indiana because of the significant quality of life improvements that are taking place," Rurode told The (Northwest Indiana) Times "

Old 02-13-2018, 06:07 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
It'll be interesting to see if they sell. People willing to live way out in the boonies usually expect some kind of a discount for doing so.
You comment on things you have no clue about! Schererville is nowhere considered the boonies! And yes, I expect them to sell like hot cakes because at $300k it’s a bargain in the area! Most new builds in the immediate area are selling for North of $400k (with 4K taxes btw). My subdivision alone has 11 homes being built with not one under $345k!

Last edited by CGab; 02-13-2018 at 06:31 AM..

Old 02-13-2018, 09:33 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
You comment on things you have no clue about! Schererville is nowhere considered the boonies! And yes, I expect them to sell like hot cakes because at $300k it’s a bargain in the area! Most new builds in the immediate area are selling for North of $400k (with 4K taxes btw). My subdivision alone has 11 homes being built with not one under $345k!
We'll see how those high prices play out long term I suppose!

Old 02-13-2018, 12:37 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
We'll see how those high prices play out long term I suppose!

I suppose, but I'm not too worried. Here's some links to contingent properties and new builds in Schererville and St. John.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ex=IN597746597

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M44236-66586

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M46362-82730

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean..._P413484442475

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M42929-55177

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8-06846#photo7

Last edited by CGab; 02-13-2018 at 12:45 PM..

Old 02-15-2018, 11:04 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
What I hate about NW Indiana is how so many people rag on Chicago and Illinois. Like it's impossible to talk about life in NW IN without referencing Illinois, as if there are no positives aside from avoiding the pension bomb next door. And no, I'm not going to change my commute to downtown Chicago from 15 minutes to 1 hour + 15 minutes to save a little money on property taxes.

NW Indiana isn't bad but there's way more options for suburban living near Chicago. If BP Whiting ever hires me I'd probably move there without much complaining.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:04 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,231 times
Good properties in Chicago and the (Illinois) suburbs go contingent very quickly these days also. So I don't know how much that proves about long term viability, but you have duly noted that NWI is also enjoying the current national housing boom.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:40 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
What I hate about NW Indiana is how so many people rag on Chicago and Illinois. Like it's impossible to talk about life in NW IN without referencing Illinois, as if there are no positives aside from avoiding the pension bomb next door. And no, I'm not going to change my commute to downtown Chicago from 15 minutes to 1 hour + 15 minutes to save a little money on property taxes.

NW Indiana isn't bad but there's way more options for suburban living near Chicago. If BP Whiting ever hires me I'd probably move there without much complaining.
We/they are not exactly ragging and the areas are joined together with Chicago itself sharing a border with NWI !
I think most of NWI like the big cosmopolitan city of Chicago but don't like it's extremely corrupt politics, high cost of living, traffic jams etc.

The money that you save is not little, its enough where families decide to move. Are there better suburbs in IL? Of course, just alone for the fact there are so many more suburbs to chose from and also as stated in this thread before , NWI is not for all just like any other places are not for all.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:38 AM

61 posts, read 68,572 times
I feel like it's mainly just a segue to Michigan and back. I never have any reason to stop there, nor would I want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs