Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2018, 09:14 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
NW Indiana is just waiting to be discovered. As the greater Chicagoland grows, so will this area
Interesting you say that, because Lake County Indiana has lost over 60,000 people from its peak back in 1960, it's been seeing steady growth since 1990, although the latest U.S. census estimates a slight population loss to the county. It's the second most populous county in the state, and probably the most liberal area, ahead of even Marion County I'd wager, I'm rooting for them, I hope the county continues to grow and become more attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 05:07 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Interesting you say that, because Lake County Indiana has lost over 60,000 people from its peak back in 1960, it's been seeing steady growth since 1990, although the latest U.S. census estimates a slight population loss to the county. It's the second most populous county in the state, and probably the most liberal area, ahead of even Marion County I'd wager, I'm rooting for them, I hope the county continues to grow and become more attractive.
the recent lifting of tariffs in the steel industry should bring more good paying jobs again and thus people

Old 05-22-2018, 12:15 PM

How many of you are aware that NWI is also called Calumet, the Region and not so commonly South Shore?
https://www.southshorecva.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Indiana

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/w...4440aae.html#1

Last edited by WildWestDude; 05-22-2018 at 12:37 PM..

Old 05-25-2018, 08:56 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
South Shore is between 67th and 79th, and from Stony Island east to the lake.

I don't know where the region thinks they can get away with this one. Maybe instead they should call themselves "The" South Shore.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
South Shore is between 67th and 79th, and from Stony Island east to the lake.

I don't know where the region thinks they can get away with this one. Maybe instead they should call themselves "The" South Shore.
by looking at the map of Lake Michigan the true geographical south shore falls exclusively in Indiana. Yes, the south shore of Chicago but not the Lake itself for what you mentioned but Indiana would have all the rights to the name!

Last edited by WildWestDude; 05-25-2018 at 11:06 PM..

Old 05-26-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
by looking at the map of Lake Michigan the true geographical south shore falls exclusively in Indiana. Yes, the south shore of Chicago but not the Lake itself for what you mentioned but Indiana would have all the rights to the name!
I get it. Geographically they can also lay claim to the term "North Coast" which I think sounds cooler. But South Shore makes geographic sense, it just causes confusion in the metro area.

Old 05-27-2018, 02:34 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I get it. Geographically they can also lay claim to the term "North Coast" which I think sounds cooler. But South Shore makes geographic sense, it just causes confusion in the metro area.
The South Shore Line, now called NICTD or something like that, runs from Chicago to South Bend with most of its stops in Indiana. The South Shore community area of Chicago doesn't have a copyright on the name.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:10 PM

The West Lake Rail Corridor I believe has been approved and awaiting funding. Once finished, it will be a breeze to go to Chicago and NWI will become more desirable:

West Lake Corridor Project

Old 06-08-2018, 09:22 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The image you speak of is not confined to NW Indiana alone. It's part of a continuum that extends across much of the south/southwest side of Chicago and many of its south/outhwest suburbs as well. People don't think any more highly of, say, South Holland or Midlothian than they do of Hammond or Whiting. Even tidier white-collar but "old" south-side suburbs like Homewood and Flossmoor get the same short shrift their Indiana counterparts get (such as Munster and Highland).
I've noticed this too; people from other parts of Chicagoland rarely pay attention to any of the south suburbs east of maybe Tinley Park. They're just not on people's radar screen, and I wonder if it's because the South Side of the city feels like an infinite no-man's-land that nothing exists on the other side of.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I've noticed this too; people from other parts of Chicagoland rarely pay attention to any of the south suburbs east of maybe Tinley Park. They're just not on people's radar screen, and I wonder if it's because the South Side of the city feels like an infinite no-man's-land that nothing exists on the other side of.
Only suburbs anyone pays attention to are either the ones that border the city (Evanston, Oak Park) or burbs with clout like Naperville. Most Chicagoans rarely acknowledge suburbs as it is. Don't think it just is a south thing. Besides Orland Park gets more attention IMO because it has the mall. Tinley has...car dealerships.

As far as why places like Chicago Heights aren't on people's radar is the same reason North Chicago or Maywood aren't.

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 06-09-2018 at 10:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs