Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 05:33 PM

694 posts, read 2,016,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Series View Post
I'm not sure what rankings you are referring to but the Glenbrook HS's have always ranked higher than Hersey and Prospect. Maybe things are changing....but I'm guessing its the way your list was created. I don't have any hard evidence to link to but I would bet the quality of students are higher in the GBN schools than Hersey/Prospect. However, all are above average and will provide a quality education. You probably just have a higher concentration of kids that do better on SAT's, ACT and matriculate to colleges with higher avg scores in the Glenbrook schools. So, if youre a parent, less likelihood for your kid to get mixed up with the wrong crowd. But every kid is differnt and somone has to be the burn out.....ha

Prestige - standing or estimation in the eyes of people : weight or credit in general opinion

Deerfield, Northbrook and Gleview are more prestigious than AH and Mt P and that general opinion is supported by evidence in land value prices. It's just more expensive to live there. It doesn't mean it's better, its just more expensive. More people perceive it to be a better place to live so they will pay more to live there. It's like anything in life, welcome to capitalism.

And for the OP, regarding the basement, it's a feature that buyers want and quite common in the area to have one, but as long as you don't over pay you'll do fine on the resale.
I have to agree with this post. Unless someone has been under a rock for years on end, Deefield, Glenview and Northbrook have been considered substantially more prestigious over Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove and Mount Prospect. As are their respective high schools GBN, GBS and DHS. Hershey high school is fine I'm sure, but it's not even in the same league. Arlington Heights also is less affluent (lower median income) than most northern suburbs and less green space.

Last edited by lakecountylifer; 04-16-2013 at 06:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 09:56 PM

10 posts, read 18,906 times
Thanks for all of your replies regarding basements. As it turns out the seller doesn't want to negotiate the price and, because it doesn't have a basement and only one bath, we are not willing to go too high. We will continue to look in AH and MP. I only hope more inventory comes on the market, and soon. We are out of our rental and in a hotel in two weeks

Old 04-17-2013, 09:09 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
I have to agree with this post. Unless someone has been under a rock for years on end, Deefield, Glenview and Northbrook have been considered substantially more prestigious over Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove and Mount Prospect. As are their respective high schools GBN, GBS and DHS. Hershey high school is fine I'm sure, but it's not even in the same league. Arlington Heights also is less affluent (lower median income) than most northern suburbs and less green space.
Yes, DGN are very nice areas and as I believe I said, there are those who feel they are more prestigious. (me, I would say some areas are even nicer since I have a real issue with the word prestige; too close to pretentious) The homes are typically bigger, the lots are larger, the streets more curvy and there are even more trees.

Quote:
If you can afford Arlington Heights or Mount Prospect, you may be able to upgrade to Deerfield, Glenview or Northbrook which are just to the east. Interest rate are very appealing now and prices are on the low side. Deerfield, Stevenson and Glenbrook North/South are all top rated and these towns are considered more elite and prestigious. Just a thought.
Top rated in what?

My main beef is the wording in your posts. Statements like "substantially more prestigious" "Hersey High School is fine I'm sure, but it's not even in the same league" (which is laughable if you look at test scores and US news rankings) I guess if one's nose is stuck in the air too much, one cannot accomplish research and has to "grab" for unsubstantiated opinions.(Are you related to BroadRipple over in the Indiana forums?)

OP, most people who live in DGN are not this snobby! BUT, there certainly are those who think like lakecountylifer and are pretentious! Our daughters were involved in figure skating in Northbrook and we met some wonderful people, but man! some of the snobbishness was unreal. I simply do not encounter that in AH or MP.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:21 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,963 times
Quote:
I don't think you would find anyone who would agree that GBN, GBS, or Deerfield High Schools are anywhere close in stature to Stevenson. The only HS in the north and northewest suburbs in the same league as Stevenson is New Trier. The Lake County side of BG goes to Steveson and that is a primary reason why the same type of house on the Lake County side sells for more than the same house on the Cook County side of BG. Even though real estate taxes are higher on the Lake County side.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
I don't think you would find anyone who would agree that GBN, GBS, or Deerfield High Schools are anywhere close in stature to Stevenson. The only HS in the north and northewest suburbs in the same league as Stevenson is New Trier. The Lake County side of BG goes to Steveson and that is a primary reason why the same type of house on the Lake County side sells for more than the same house on the Cook County side of BG. Even though real estate taxes are higher on the Lake County side.
Why don't you even bother to do some basic research? Deefield was rated top 7 High School in the state. Stevenson #5. I will give Cubs-Sox the concession that Hersey showed up at at #10.

Top Illinois High Schools | Best High Schools | US News

Old 04-17-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Yes, DGN are very nice areas and as I believe I said, there are those who feel they are more prestigious. (me, I would say some areas are even nicer since I have a real issue with the word prestige; too close to pretentious) The homes are typically bigger, the lots are larger, the streets more curvy and there are even more trees.

Top rated in what?

My main beef is the wording in your posts. Statements like "substantially more prestigious" "Hersey High School is fine I'm sure, but it's not even in the same league" (which is laughable if you look at test scores and US news rankings) I guess if one's nose is stuck in the air too much, one cannot accomplish research and has to "grab" for unsubstantiated opinions.(Are you related to BroadRipple over in the Indiana forums?)

OP, most people who live in DGN are not this snobby! BUT, there certainly are those who think like lakecountylifer and are pretentious! Our daughters were involved in figure skating in Northbrook and we met some wonderful people, but man! some of the snobbishness was unreal. I simply do not encounter that in AH or MP.
I think you need to stop belly-aching and personalizing what I say. I take your feedback about Gurnee being home to the dredges of humanity, but if I don't write that Arlington Heights is on par with Deerfield, you personally lay into me.

I like Gurnee....Its a great place to live, but at least I can admit that Deerfield, Northbrook and Glenview are more prestigious. This is not genius thinking here. So, who are you crappin' with your inflated opinion of Arlington Heights and Buffalo Grove?

Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Today is a good day not to have a basement. Basements are flooded all over the place in Northern Illinois, in new construction and old.

But I agree that basements are the norm in this region, and are pretty much expected by buyers. Better yet is a basement with a poured foundation protected by flood control measures (drain tile, sump pits, pumps with back-up power, overhead sewers). Days like this remind me that you don't want to rely TOO MUCH on a basement for living space.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I think you need to stop belly-aching and personalizing what I say. I take your feedback about Gurnee being home to the dredges of humanity, but if I don't write that Arlington Heights is on par with Deerfield, you personally lay into me.

I like Gurnee....Its a great place to live, but at least I can admit that Deerfield, Northbrook and Glenview are more prestigious. This is not genius thinking here. So, who are you crappin' with your inflated opinion of Arlington Heights and Buffalo Grove?
No beef with you saying DNG are more prestigious. It is your narrow minded descriptions of AH, BG and MtP that I take to task. Other posters have as well. And please show me where I have said Gurnee is the "dredges of humanity". I simply refuted your insinuation that it is "more prestigious" than AH when you used duboius #'s like average household income to make your point. And I simply pointed out the differences in perceived school quality as well.

And your school double talk is humurous and I will ask "who YOU crappin?" The same US News rankings show BOTH Hersey and Prospect ranked ahead of both Glenbrook North and South. Yes Deerfield and Stevenson are ranked higher. But so much so that they are "not in the same league"? Very questionable since they are all within 6 rankings of each other. I have no problem stating that Stevenson is better, I have nephews there, but yes they are in the same league. Same thing with GBN/GBS. I'm not saying they are worse than Hersey/Prospect, I'm saying they are definitely in the "same league".

Old 04-18-2013, 11:51 AM

179 posts, read 496,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Our daughters were involved in figure skating in Northbrook and we met some wonderful people
Just curious, anyone named Heather?

Old 04-18-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophidian14 View Post
Just curious, anyone named Heather?
No. This was about 8 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs