Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 05:06 PM

3 posts, read 5,325 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Chicagoland next month. I will be working in Lake Forest. While looking at areas to buy a single family house 3Bdr/2Ba in the $250-300K range, I observed that Vernon Hills crime index on city-data is almost double that of most areas within a 10 mile radius, excluding Waukegan. Is there any specific reason? At the same time, Vernon Hills has good reviews on this forum.

What do long timers think of Mundelein? That's where I am thinking of buying. How long of a train ride will it be to Chicago Downtown? Are train rides safe? I have never traveled by train in Chicago before, hence the question.

Thank you in advance for your advise, time, and information sharing. It is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 05:13 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
I haven't seen the statistics but it wouldn't surprise me. Vernon Hills has the mall plus many big box stores. Just the shoplifting arrests would elevate the crime rate. Add bad checks, fraud, and who knows what else. Not unusual at all. Mundelein is pretty safe, actually Vernon hills is mostly. Regarding the trains, they are generally safe unless you drive or walk in front of one.

Last edited by pvande55; 04-15-2013 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: Add train note

Old 04-15-2013, 05:20 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
The train ride from Mundeline is not short:

North Central Service (NCS) Schedule

The Metra trains in the region are quite safe. The trains are usually pretty quiet and you don't have to worry about using your phone, a laptop, reading, etc. You aren't going to have your iphone stolen riding Metra. CTA trains, however, are another story...

Mundeline is a pretty nice area, in my experience; I have friends who live there and the homes are beautiful. I think pvande55 is probably right about why the crime index is so much higher in Vernon Hills.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:24 PM

3 posts, read 5,325 times
pvande, after reading your reply, I looked at the breakdown and it affirms your reasoning. Burglaries and Thefts constituted the bulk of it, in all other aspects it was consistent with rest of the nearby areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs