Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 06:38 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,874,680 times

Advertisements

Arlington Heights is a nice town. So is Downers Grove, Elmhurst, Glenview, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, and Naperville. They are in various places. All have good school districts more or less. I would not mind living in any of these places if the right home could be found. Consideration should be given to any commuting issues you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 PM

405 posts, read 989,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatam007 View Post
Got it.

Arlington Heights has been mentioned a few times by different people. Anything in particular that would make it appealing?
Arlington Heights has decent, good schools, at least comparable to the surrounding suburbs without too much deviation; it is also centrally located with access to 290 and 90, both of which are popular highways. Both lead to O'Hare airport, and there is access to two train stations to downtown Chicago.

Downtown Arlington Heights is not bad, and it has been built up in recent years and will most likely continue its upward trend. Shopping is abundant, and you can take advantage of other nearby shopping districts as well. It's like any other suburb really, just that it's well positioned within the sea of suburbs to be in the middle. I've lived here for several months, and while it isn't mind-blowing amazing, I wouldn't say it's bad or disappointing. It's comparable to many other suburbs in quality of living, in my opinion, including Oak Park, Naperville, Evanston, and so forth that are of comparable price range.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 PM

374 posts, read 1,031,260 times
What about La Grange? It is close to 55/290/294, three major highways that could take you lots of places. Cute downtown, politically mixed and great schools.

Park Ridge is another good option in that it is somewhat centrally located. Cute downtown as well.

I am a big Oak Park fan, but its claim to fame is great access to the Loop, numerous medical centers and O'Hare. It is not necessarily great for getting around to other Chicagoland locations.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:48 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,774,616 times
I agree with the La Grange suggestion as a good option, as it hits a few on the OP's list... Commuting, decent downtown and schools.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:26 PM

382 posts, read 820,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatam007 View Post
commuting into Chicago is a non-issue. My husband has a 'territory' and we are unsure of what I'll be doing once we get there, but either way...I'll be driving.

as for the inventory in Naperville and Wheaton...our realtor has actually sent quite a few listings, so I'm curious to know what prompts you to say there isn't much available under 500k?
The inventory in the more desireable parts of these towns is limited. However, since you don't care about walk score, you can focus on the areas where your money goes further. In Naperville, you will get more for your money the further from downtown that you go. That means the homes are less per square foot south of 75th and West of Rte. 59.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:33 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,950,339 times
Default Think of the horrible commute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by divakat View Post
The inventory in the more desireable parts of these towns is limited. However, since you don't care about walk score, you can focus on the areas where your money goes further. In Naperville, you will get more for your money the further from downtown that you go. That means the homes are less per square foot south of 75th and West of Rte. 59.
That would be brutal commute to spots north / NW...

Old 04-25-2013, 10:09 AM

24 posts, read 26,706 times
thanks for all the great suggestions. I should probably mention that we do have family in Geneva, so we will probably be spending more time commuting in that direction as opposed into the heart of Chicago. But I am going to look into Lagrange, not too sure about Park Ridge and Oak Park as my impression is that they are really rather in close proximity to Chicago city-center, but if I am wrong, please let me know.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:01 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,950,339 times
Some people love the nearness of Oak Park to the Loop and other parts of Chicago, the town sort of seamlessly blends with Chicago and has excellent CTA service on buses and two El lines.

Park Ridge technically borders Chicago, but the NW side of Chicago is pretty quiet comparatively speaking and the town of Park Ridge is quite lovely, there are some attractively priced homes that might work for you in the portion of Park Ridge closest to Niles...

Arlington Heights probably has a "top 10" downtown, which even if you are not all that interested in walkability is still smart as it will make it easy for your to get re-aquainted with living in a suburb AND should you want / need to sell the attractiveness of a centrally located suburb with very very highly regarded schools and nice mix of housing makes odds of selling easier...

The drive to Geneva from even the southern reaches of Naperville is NOT PLEASANT. If being close to Geneva is important to you AND you still want a reasonably centrally located town (which I think is a HUGE PLUS not just for husband but for down-the-road ...) I would given Wheaton a good look. Your price range can get some nice places in that town...

Old 04-25-2013, 11:35 AM

63 posts, read 159,446 times
Also, look out for airplane noise around Park Ridge as you may be in direct path of a runway or two.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:06 PM

24 posts, read 26,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkim View Post
Also, look out for airplane noise around Park Ridge as you may be in direct path of a runway or two.

YIKES! really?!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs