Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 01:40 PM

24 posts, read 26,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldoubled View Post
Geographically, Naperville is HUGE. I live near the northeast corner and it can easily take me 30 minutes to travel to the southwest corner. What I'm getting at is that commuting from "Naperville" to anywhere varies greatly depending on which part of Naperville you live. Being close to 355 allows us to get to Indiana Michigan and Ohio fairly easily while completely skirting traffic. Being close to 88 gets us around the metro area fairly easily, although we don't use it to commute daily.

When focusing on airports, don't forget Midway. If Mr. OP is flying to smaller towns, that might mean Southwest and hence Midway. I don't know what the commute would be like from AH to there, maybe it's the same.

As far as noise at O'hare, there was an article this month in the tribune about changing air traffic patterns: Now city residents too are making noise over O'Hare runways - Chicago Tribune. I would avoid Park Ridge until the patterns change in October to see what the effect is.

Glenview would be a pain from anywhere in Naperville compared to AH but I would think the out of state travel would be easier.

Don't forget that some school districts overflow the city boundaries. Naperville 203 also draws a bit from Woodridge and Lisle. I imagine this is true in other areas as well but I'm not certain. Your realtor should be able to search by schools (or you can use the software at Redfin.com) That might open up some towns that you might have overlooked.
definitely a plus for dh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 01:47 PM

As for family, my in-laws area actually in Ohio. But dh's sister lives in Geneva, and is preggers (due in June) so I'm sure I'll be making many a trip in that direction to visit and help.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:37 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,192,924 times
The commute to Iowa from NV is closer; no doubt. The commute to Wisconsin from AH is closer; no doubt. The commute to IN and MI might be in NV advantage by about 15 minutes or so. Takes about 40 minutes to get to 294/Ogden from where I am in AH. My guess, if one is close to I-88, the same time from NV would be about 25 minutes.

AGAIN, AH much closer to ABT. Although I would say schools are comparable, statistically using ISAT test averages, AH Dist 25 has better scores (by 1-2 points) than NV, DIST 59 is worse and DIST 23 is 1-2 points lower. Hersey scores 1 point lower on PSAE tha NV Central and 2 points higher than NV North. So Divakat, I don't see NV schools being better. Comparable-yes.

If you like the vibe of NV or the Western suburbs better than the vibe of AH or other nearby towns, go for it. You're not commuting to ABT daily. And, if you like the vibe of AH better, I see no compelling argument to stick with NV. You have good choices all around.

PS. If you are looking into a townhouse, ask your realtor to show you Lake Arlington Towne. The walking proximity to Lake Arlington is outstanding, and you have several parks within easy walking distance.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:27 PM

UPDATE:
We visited last weekend and after looking in all the areas mentioned we decided on a home in Naperville. It does feel a little Stepford wife-ish but the home is perfect and within our budget.

Thank you all for your input.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:34 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,943,296 times
Default Glad to get your feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatam007 View Post
UPDATE:
We visited last weekend and after looking in all the areas mentioned we decided on a home in Naperville. It does feel a little Stepford wife-ish but the home is perfect and within our budget.

Thank you all for your input.
I assume you decided on one of the newer areas as those tend to have more "uniformity". There are huge of activities that one get involved with that ought to help you from feeling you've "been assimilated"

Official Site of the City of Naperville, IL || Community Service Opportunities

Old 05-15-2013, 09:12 PM

4 posts, read 11,404 times
Hi Bea,
Check out Glen Ellyn, Indian Head Park, Western Springs, Willow Springs, Hinsdale if you haven't already. If I had the dough, I'd be in Hinsdale faster than you can say it
I also love Downer's Grove.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:16 PM

4 posts, read 11,404 times
Oops, congrats on the find in Naperville!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs