Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 06:28 AM

588 posts, read 1,799,699 times

Advertisements

I would definitely recommend like others have for them to stay in the general area. The rush hour commutes and congestion can be hideous, unless they don't mind drive times. I'd definitely recommend Naperville, Woodridge, Darien, Downers, Lemont. Parts of Plainfield can work too. New Lenox is very nice, but a bit of a haul. Gas and tolls can add hundreds a month if I-355 is taken. Basically there's more good than bad places to live around Woodridge, and in my own humble opinion, there's no need to look 30 miles or 45 mins away for housing. But without a doubt, if they end up renting first, avoid 90% of the apartment complexes in the area and rent a house/townhouse.

Oops, just saw they have 5 pets. Yup, renting will be out. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 06:16 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Kind of nutty -- honestly the distance from Montegomery to pretty much any part of Woodrodge is going to make for a commute that will involve lots of extra driving. Even if they are very close to 88 on the Montgomery end (which I don't think is possible with how Aurora & Sugar Grove are configured...) the exits do not line up for good access to Woodridge. They'd either end up using 355 which does not have a symmetric interchange with 88 (which means going kind of far east to get back west...) OR snaking around through surface streets which are often very congested through Naperville...

Have they actually driven this route? On a work day? At rush hour? Hope they have a fuel efficient car. And lots of books on tape..
Books on tape? Wow, Chet. You must be driving a really old car.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:43 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default I like to get my money's worth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Books on tape? Wow, Chet. You must be driving a really old car.

It's paid for and it does have a cassette slot (along with DVD based nav system) and do have an audible.com account and bluetooth...

But back on topic I do think there are lots of good values in Woodridge but the OP will have to be willing to get a house that is not brand new. If they do that they will be rewarded with a much shorter commute.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:31 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,299 times
Well, I just found out from my mother that they put a bid on a house - a different house.

It looks like a more established neighborhood because there are trees, but the house still looks fairly newish. I don't know yet what town it's in because I haven't talked to them yet.

I tried searching all the towns around Woodridge, but haven't been able to find this house on the MLS. No doubt it's in a town I didn't search.

BTW, it's amazing how many more houses are on the market than when I first posted. There's a lot better choices now.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:59 PM

Uh oh, the house they put an offer on is in Yorkville, which looks even further out than Montgomery.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:27 AM

14 posts, read 37,020 times
I'm still thinking that they are going to heavily regret their decision on buying a house so so far away from where they work. Resale value is maybe picking up, but with gas prices in the suburbs starting to level out with the prices in the city, it's going to get overly expensive extremely fast. I just get this feeling they don't know how expensive Illinois can be if you aren't smart about what you're doing, and the time issue is going to put huge strain on pretty much everything. They won't have any time to really enjoy their residence that they're fighting so hard to get...

Old 05-22-2013, 08:12 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,082 times
Yorkville to Woodridge is a nice 40 minute drive. You can hop on 55 to 126 or maybe even take 75 to 59 to 126. There is tons of nice houses for a decent price closer to Woodridge but to each their own I guess.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Yorkville to Woodridge is a nice 40 minute drive. You can hop on 55 to 126 or maybe even take 75 to 59 to 126. There is tons of nice houses for a decent price closer to Woodridge but to each their own I guess.
I HOPE it's only a 40 minute drive and not longer. They already do a 40 minute drive where they live now.

As long as the drive isn't longer than what they're used to, I don't think they'll complain.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:25 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Sure, but it is stupid to not only move so far away from the current job, but also the main job centers. What happens if next job is downtown Chicago? Or Schaumburg?

Old 07-14-2013, 02:08 AM

UPDATE:

Well, they're in their new home in Yorkville.

It turns out they love the location. It's a straight shot on a two-lane "highway" through fields and farms, and then they jump on an expressway for 5 or 6 miles and BAM!; they're at work.

Although they did a 40-minute drive to work in Orlando, and they are doing a 40-minute drive from Yorkville to Woodridge, the latter is far less stressful than what they used to endure. Traffic is lighter and the scenery is pleasant until they get to the big expressway.

Their new neighbors have come over to meet them and have offered to help with anything they might need. And although their new house already has a gorgeous yard, their neighbors are all such master gardeners that they're going to have to step up their game.

They are happy they chose Yorkville over Montgomery because Yorkville neighborhoods are a bit more established and have more trees. They are 20-30 minutes away from downtown Naperville and are glad not to be living in that traffic, but happy to be close enough to go there for entertainment.

Huge sigh of relief!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs