Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2007, 08:43 AM

7 posts, read 21,001 times

Advertisements

Hi again- I originally posted, saying that I was working in the North Chicago area. I was mistaken. It looks like my work will be closer to the Highland Park area. Does this change anyone's suggestions? Does Highland Park have a nice downtown area? Do any of the northern suburbs? I guess I'm looking for more "urban" living, in the suburbs...if possible!

RE: My husband and I are in our early 30s with no kids - we don't need the "big city" vibe, but we would like a community with a walkable downtown and some nice restaurants/shopping. I'm wondering if there are some communities that would fit that bill.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 10:10 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Yes, Highland Park would certainly fit that request, as well as all the suburbs on the north shore(though some are smaller village type over 'urban' IMHO) , from Lake Forest down the lake to Evanston,(which I am guessing is too big ? -its the most "urban" )

Old 11-02-2007, 01:44 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
i think evanston would be the closest thing to what you're looking for. you go from suburban residential areas

right into a downtown dense urban environment

Old 11-02-2007, 02:18 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Is that high-rise in the background a concept or reality? Looks nice!

Old 11-03-2007, 02:41 AM

5 posts, read 30,373 times
Reality,there are quite a few high rises in Evanston both apartments and condos. I been looking for a apartment when I move to Chicago and found those in Apartment magazines like For Rent and Apartment Guide.. In Lake County Waukegan has that urban feel however, not many are interested in Waukegan do to some crime issues. Libertyville and Vernon Hills has some urban feel but very suburban. Skokie and Niles has some urban feel but not at Evanston's level. Schaumburg, Arlington Heights and Des Plaines fit the bill but they are in the Northwest Suburbs.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:18 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
Evanston is a good option. You may want to look into "The Glen" which is located in Glenview too.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:52 PM

7 posts, read 21,001 times
Default I'm being pretty loose with the term "urban"....

Hi guys! Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'm being fairly loose with the term "urban". I would think that Evanston would be the biggest area that suits my criteria, however that may even be too big. Plus, I think Evanston will be too far from where I will be working (Deerfield area). Does anyone have any pics of applicable village/town downtown areas?
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs