Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 13,969 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move from downtown Chicago to a house in Wilmette. Our budget is up to 650K and we have seen some houses that we like in west Wilmette, which are not walkable to the Metra train station.

Question: How is parking at the Wilmette metra station? What time would I need to get there to secure a spot? I have heard some metra stations have ample capacity while others are over capacity and it is impossible to find parking. Also, how does parking work? Do you pay by the day, month, year or is it free?

With our budget I don’t think we can afford a house that is reasonable walking distance to the train.
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 04:08 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,416 times
From my experience living in Evanston I don't believe there really is any parking at all for the Wilmette station. If you want to drive you will most likely have to park a few blocks away on a neighborhood street. There are restrictions (to prevent people from doing just this) in the area closest to the train so you'll be walking probably 4 to 6 blocks.

In other towns there are garages and permit parking for Metra commuters. The permits are either monthly or quarterly, I think and the garages are daily. In Elmhurst you can pay by credit or even text message, but in other places, like Geneva, it's cash. Both of those stations are $2 a day.

I love Wilmette (and Evanston). My husband and I looked extensively in both for a house where we could walk to the train but it just wasn't going to happen on our budget. We ended up in Elmhurst and walk to the train. Driving to Metra in the north shore area just wasn't an option for us due to the hassle.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:56 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
There is parking allowed near the station -- MetraRail Parking Maps Wilmette Station Map

Pace also has bus service. I think Route 422 is mainly along Lake Ave to the Metra station and Pace Rt 213 is along Greenbay Rd

There are probably even a few spots that you could technically hoof it the Purple line in your price range -- 209 4th St, WILMETTE, IL 60091 | MLS# 08326438 | Redfin

714 Sheridan Rd, WILMETTE, IL 60091 | MLS# 08332303 | Redfin

Old 05-31-2013, 07:34 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,416 times
I guess I should have said that I never noticed a lot of parking near the Metra station. The amount of available parking in Wilmette is probably one fifth of what is available in, for example, Geneva before the garage was built. I would guesstimate that the parking fills up VERY early.

My experiences driving to the Geneva train station burned me out on driving to Metra stations. I had to be there by 6:30 am prior to the garage being built to get a space. Now with the garage there was parking in the far lot until around 8:00 and tons after 9:00 when you could park anywhere. It was not a fun experience either time I had to drive to a train though.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 13,969 times
Thanks so much for all the responses! I was told today that the parking is ok, however, you need to get there early, especially in the winter. You pay $2 in quarters to park for the day, and that there is an overflow lot, it is just a little bit of a walk. I am not sure what time "early" is.

@chet everett Thanks for sending the houses. I hadn't seen the one on 4th Street since we are looking for at least 2 bath, but with a nice close distance, it might make sense to get something like that and then add another bath down the road.

We really like Wilmette, but I don't want a torturous daily commute (especially when I am spoiled now with a 15 minute walk)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs