Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 05:35 AM

14 posts, read 38,005 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to move to the Shorewood area from Colorado and I just kinda want to get a feel for what to expect. She's in the medical field and I am a general contractor. Comments about the weather are moot (it's a fool who judges the day by it's weather) since we experience heat and cold here too. More along the lines of housing (wanted to be in the 250K range), attitudes, recreational activities, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 08:49 AM

110 posts, read 664,888 times
You should be able to find plenty in the way of housing in the $250000 range in Shorewood...Its a long way out from downtown Chicago.Will you be a gc in the city or in the Shorewood area? My wife is in the medical field she's always looking for qualified RNs.

Construction is busy in Chicago now.And you better have a union card if your going to work in Chicago.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:48 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,540,967 times
I just moved near the Shorewood area about a month and a half ago. We like it a lot. It is a newer area, and building up quickly. There are many beautiful new subdivisions going up all over the place. There are lots of young families and kids in the area, and everyone seems to be very friendly. There is lots of shopping, but still a decent amount of open spaces so it doesn't feel too congested. Do you have school aged children? Part of Shorewood is in the Minooka High School district, and part of Shorewood is in the Joliet West High School District. Joliet West High School does not have the best rep, but Minooka High School is a good school. If High Schools are a priority, go for the Minooka High School district. Shorewood is located right off I55, and when its not rushhour, it's about a 45 minute drive to downtown Chicago to experience all the city has to offer. Shorwood also has plans to build a new downtown area. Overall, I think you will be very happy here.
Shorewood awaiting I-55 boom :: Herald News :: Business (http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/business/621342,4_3_JO26_CED_S1.article - broken link)

Old 11-04-2007, 05:57 PM

384 posts, read 1,132,145 times
I've been all over Colorado, and if you like the scenery you will unfortunetely not get to enjoy this in any Chicago suburbs. No hills, everything is flat as can be.

I know you said the weather is moot, but Chicago winters are different from winters in Colorado because of the lack of trees. You can literally feel and smell the difference. Yes, temperatures may be the same, but winter in Colorado at 20 degrees is a lot more enjoyable than winter in Chicago at 20 degrees.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:11 AM

Thanks for the responses.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:46 AM

64 posts, read 233,485 times
I was raised in Arvada, a small town west of Denver. Loved it there, went to CU. I was born in the midwest, southern Illinois to be exact. Moved back to Chicago west suburbs in the mid 70's, mostly areas around Hinsdale, Westmont and Downers Grove. Loved it there also. Yeah, it's gonna get colder than Colorado and the air won't smell as good, but all in all, Chicago is one of the greatest cities in the U.S. I was transferred away from the area in 1990 to Sarasota, Florida. Big difference between Chicago and here. I am in the process of relocating, now that I am retired. Planning to move to north Georgia, in a small town in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Can't wait to get back to the mountain air.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:30 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
I've been all over Colorado, and if you like the scenery you will unfortunetely not get to enjoy this in any Chicago suburbs. No hills, everything is flat as can be.

I know you said the weather is moot, but Chicago winters are different from winters in Colorado because of the lack of trees. You can literally feel and smell the difference. Yes, temperatures may be the same, but winter in Colorado at 20 degrees is a lot more enjoyable than winter in Chicago at 20 degrees.
Sigh

True, most of the area is flat, and we have nothing like the Rockies, but dont say we dont have hills, the western burbs are built in/on a valley (Fox valley) and the surrounding terrain consists mostly of rolling hills.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/Illinoisboy/040_40.jpg (broken link)

"Lack of trees"? Im willing to bet that the Chicagoland area has more trees than Denver area. Of course Chicago itself wont have as many trees as most suburbs, but the suburbs are full of trees. Where I live in Warrenville backs up to a nice forest preserve that is loaded with pines.

Forest Preserve District of Cook County (http://www.fpdcc.com/home.php - broken link)
Forest Preserve District of DuPage County (http://www.dupageforest.com/preserves/preserves.html - broken link)

Old 11-07-2007, 06:49 PM

ok... so let's cut to the chase.... We enjoy flyfishing and golfing ( my wife also kayaks and our teenage son skateboards ... alot). We've seen a lot of small rivers in the area. Are they flyfishable??? Do they tend to run deep... these are the reeeaalll issues! Oh, and how much are green fees typically? It is tough to get on? And are there many skateparks?

Old 11-07-2007, 07:22 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,096 times
Public golf courses abound in Chicagoland. Tough to get on on the weekends (always book early), weekdays are pretty easy. Wide variety to play as well, you can pay as little as 25 bucks and as much as 138 (at cog hill #4).

Near Shorewood is a great track called Heritage Bluffs, it's in Channahon. I think about 50 bucks to play on the weekend, well worth it. It's actually hilly.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:16 AM

Great. I play every Sunday with a group here and hope to be able to get one together there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs