U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 12:39 PM

4,018 posts, read 2,967,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
We have different views of diversity. 75% white is pretty homogeneous. Diversity to me is plurality. Having a sprinkling of other races doesn't make your institution or community diverse.

True, but you are moving the goal posts a little.

The bottom line is with so many other choices for the OP relocating to Chicago from Atlanta, especially offerings with superior schools that are not hemorrhaging money like the south suburbs, might be better to investigate.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 12:49 PM

4,154 posts, read 2,477,348 times
I'm not moving the goal posts. "We want to move to an area with good schools" is just how people hide their racism. Everyone knows the Illinois school district con. People ragging on Olympia Fields...which is a good area, just shows you how deep the racism is. There are tons of schools in the city and suburbs that don't score well on these report cards (and let's not even touch the subject of bias in testing) but still provide good education and produce great students.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:53 PM

28,461 posts, read 76,240,392 times
Default Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
True, but you are moving the goal posts a little.

The bottom line is with so many other choices for the OP relocating to Chicago from Atlanta, especially offerings with superior schools that are not hemorrhaging money like the south suburbs, might be better to investigate.

If I was looking at moving across the country and I'd want to know which areas are "bargain priced" because they are headed in positive direction vs which ones are in terrible fiscal shape and getting worse.

In a perfect world folks could get a quality education in any public school, sadly this has never been true. It is a multifacted problem and won't get better by pretending that it does not matter. It does not take much effort to determine which schools are facing the toughest combination of factors and it simply does not make sense not to avoid such schools when relocating. To be sure the folks who live in such areas certainly should do all they can to ensure that there is support for the schools, but it is frankly unrealistic to expect anyone to ignore such issues. Fact is if the OP was looking at moving into Chicago itself and did not understand the processes for gaining admissions to the top performing CPS schools I'd point that out too -- afterall they specifically believe this will be "an easy transition" which is unlikely given all the facts...

Old 06-08-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
In a perfect world folks could get a quality education in any public school, sadly this has never been true. It is a multifacted problem and won't get better by pretending that it does not matter.

Agreed. The problem also won't get solved by actively steering people away from good areas that happen to be majority black, simply because those areas cannot compete with majority white areas on paper. And those areas cannot compete because of systemic racism. So you are actually helping to perpetuate the problem.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:50 PM

28,461 posts, read 76,240,392 times
Default Let's be clear...

Quote:
Agreed. The problem also won't get solved by actively steering people away from good areas that happen to be majority black, simply because those areas cannot compete with majority white areas on paper. And those areas cannot compete because of systemic racism. So you are actually helping to perpetuate the problem.

The history of Olympia Fields in terms of golf is not really all that different than other towns -- it was chosen as a place "out in the country" where folks who wanted to escape the problems of Chicago back when it was crowded and filled with polluted air & water could enjoy their private club -- Simply Grand - latimes

The lack of any sort of efforts to create the sorts of office parks and shopping malls that have sustained a wide range of suburbs very likely was driven by issues ranging from distance to control of the land; it should not surprise anyone at all if the window for such development was pretty much the same for all such areas, coinciding with the boom of car-centric suburbs. The further fact that the same sorts of exclusionary policies governed country clubs not just in Olympia Fields but in Lake Forest, Oak Brook, Wheaton, and pretty much every other town seems completely irrelevant with the current racial make up of those towns. The further fact that those towns also have rail connections that could be used, as some claim, to help students from inside Chicago to seek 'residence' with family living in the area and resulting in excessive student enrollment without subsequent property tax support would seem to suggest that some other factor is at work, because a trip to several other towns is not all that much longer...

Perhaps your knowledge of specific instances of discriminatory behavior is more in-depth, however the issue that I see is really more the fiscal condition of an area that is unable to attract sufficient economic development. The present conditions mostly are evident as lack of density that has helped other areas. I would also point out, that even with the density that has developed in other south suburbs areas like those that feed into Lincolnway High Schools, there have been painful cutbacks / school closures -- Lincoln-Way reports savings from North closure - Daily Southtown I have very consistently told folks considering those areas to be aware of the difficulties of such things. As I also mentioned in this thread the land bought up by those speculating about the boondoogle of a "third airport" has frozen other investment in the area.

Believe me if there was any sign of things looking up for any south suburb I would not hesitate to recommend folks considering it; for what it is worth I've gone from being skeptical about the success of Jones HS in the south Loop making a shift from its former weird "office careers" mission into a supporter of it being a driver in attracting families into the high rises of the south Loop as well as giving a great option to families in areas like Chinatown, Bridgeport, and Bronzeville...

Old 06-08-2018, 03:41 PM

3,216 posts, read 1,632,947 times
Quote:
We have different views of diversity. 75% white is pretty homogeneous. Diversity to me is plurality. Having a sprinkling of other races doesn't make your institution or community diverse.
To be fair, not having a racial majority at all is a pretty high bar to clear, especially in the suburbs. And high schools in general are highly segregated (redlining, the charter system, etc.) and only becoming more that way with time. Other than Flossmoor I can't think of any Chicago suburbs off the top of my head that are no-majority, though Berwyn is close (55%-ish Latino?)

Old 06-08-2018, 05:27 PM

I think Berwyn is higher than that. Wikipedia says it's 60% white, but technically "Hispanic" is not a race. They can be black or white, and most are going to self-identify as white. Wiki also says the top non-Hispanic ancestries are Italian, German, Irish and Polish. Those are probably elders who refuse to leave their community . Separately, all those communities come in under 10%. Morton West is 80% Hispanic...which, based on optics and experience alone, I'd believe is closer to the percentage of Latinos in Berwyn. Many of them are identifying as white.

I do agree that not having a racial majority is a high bar to clear, but Chicago is pretty evenly spread among blacks, whites and Hispanics. I don't know how, when black neighborhoods are practically 2/3 of the city but...probably Hispanics and other immigrants self-identifying as "white" because they don't fit neatly into any of the other categories.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:02 AM

4,116 posts, read 7,893,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
To be fair, not having a racial majority at all is a pretty high bar to clear, especially in the suburbs. And high schools in general are highly segregated (redlining, the charter system, etc.) and only becoming more that way with time. Other than Flossmoor I can't think of any Chicago suburbs off the top of my head that are no-majority, though Berwyn is close (55%-ish Latino?)
There are several fitting that criteria.

Suburbs around Chicago with no racial or ethnicity majority:

Aurora- though parts of the east side are very Mexican
Bolingbrook
Blue Island
Chicago Heights
Forest Park
Hillside
Homewood
Flossmoor
Glendale Heights
North Chicago
Zion

Others that have a majority, but are around 50-60 percent-ish one one race or ethnic group, could be still considered racially/ethnically diverse. Skokie being a good example.

There are some suburbs(particularly southwest suburbs) that will have a 75-85% "white" demographic on paper, but the data includes Arabs and Middle Easterners. I believe Chicago Ridge alone is at least 20-25% Arab(majority being Palestinian), but they are included in the 71% white non hispanic population.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 06-09-2018 at 01:20 AM..

Old 06-10-2018, 09:11 AM

3,296 posts, read 5,068,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingTheATLDream View Post
I'm White and my wife is Asian and we have 3 kids are moving to Olympia Fields from Southside Atlanta suburbs this month. Can't wait. Looks like it will be a smooth transition from Atlanta.
Let us know how smooth the transition is come January and February.

Which Asian is she? If Chinese, Chinatown is only a 25 minute from from OF. It's changing into mostly Mandarin speakers but there still a lot of Cantonese speakers.

Do yourself a favor and get familiar with Perros Brothers on Lincoln Highway. Some great food there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs