Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 03:32 PM

7 posts, read 8,214 times

Advertisements

This October I will be starting a new job in Schaumburg and my wife and I will be looking for our first place together. Not knowing how my job will be, and my wife still not having found a permanent job, we think it would be best to rent for the first year until we figure everything out.

My work is roughly at the "intersection" of Higgins and 290 so we're currently looking at Schaumburg, Arlington Heights, Hoffman Estates, Elk Grove, Palatine and Rolling Meadows as options since all of those are relatively close to my work (15-20 minute drive).

Being that this will be our first time living on our own, when should we start seriously looking for a place? We were tentatively planning an October 1 move-in date but I'm not sure if that would give us the most options (ie, will rental "inventory" be higher in September/November)? Also, since we want to eventually purchase a house, should we focus our search on towns/cities that we are unfamiliar with to get a feel for different areas?

Any other tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 03:47 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
I'd be looking now through July to find a place for October ... Many places will have a waiting list you can get on for a small deposit. Rather than renting in a place you don't know I'd suggest renting for convenience and spending your first year getting to know the surrounding communities on weekends.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:37 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default I would not "pay" to be on "waiting list"...

There are tens of thousands of apartments convenient to that work location... No need to waste money on a "waiting list".

I would avoid larger complexes, as too many in that area have some issues with unsupervised youths. Depending on budget / longer term plans it may make sense to consider which towns have better schools and such but renting for a year is a good idea and as long as the rental is not in some far away corner you can certainly explore the whole region at your leisure...

Lead time of 60-90 days is generally fine for an October start date. The college kids and such will have things settled by late August / early September.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are tens of thousands of apartments convenient to that work location... No need to waste money on a "waiting list".

I would avoid larger complexes, as too many in that area have some issues with unsupervised youths. Depending on budget / longer term plans it may make sense to consider which towns have better schools and such but renting for a year is a good idea and as long as the rental is not in some far away corner you can certainly explore the whole region at your leisure...
Any tips on how to go about looking for a place? Right now we're just looking at places on Craigslist and Zillow. Are there any other sites that give you a good idea of what's out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett
Lead time of 60-90 days is generally fine for an October start date. The college kids and such will have things settled by late August / early September.
Dumb question: how much earlier can you sign a lease than it's starting date? For example, if we find the perfect place in August, and the landlord knows the tenant will be out Sept. 30, could we sign a contract at that point?

Thanks for the replies.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:28 PM

Default Craigslist is iffy at best...

...and who knows where Zillow assembles is "rent" list. The trend for most suburban landlords has been to utilize the local newspapers -- Daily Herald is a good resource as are most of the Suburban Life / Patch newspapers and websites.

Most landlords like to sign existing tenants 30 days or more to renewal. If you find a landlord that signs 60 days ahead that is generally fine. Earlier than that gets a little risky, as sometimes an existing tenant "changes their mind" and then you have to re-think your plans even if the landlord returns any deposit in a timely fashion...

Old 07-01-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
It depends on one's situation. I've lived in Naperville for 25 years and knew where I wanted to live, so a $50 deposit was worth it to me to lock in the apartment I wanted. The deposit was refundable if an apartment didn't become available in my time frame, and was applied to my first month's rent.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:46 AM

Default Sorry, was meant more to reassure OP plentiful supply of apartments...

Some of the areas in Chicago's super heated rental market are very tight supply. That is not the case in most suburban areas. Although there are some areas with limited rentals the Schaumburg subregion has lots of options.

There are unscrupolous landlords (and scam artists on Craigslist) that prey on the naive and have no intention of refunding any "deposit".

(ps You have not been renting the whole 25 years, have you? The rents back in the 80's must have been a pittance but the overall value you'd get as owner with a quarter century of appreciation have been stellar...)

Old 07-01-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
There are unscrupolous landlords (and scam artists on Craigslist) that prey on the naive and have no intention of refunding any "deposit".
Yeah, I went with a higher-end smaller complex in the Brookdale area when I moved last year that does extensive background checks on residents. I personally would never rent anything from Craiglist.

Quote:
ps You have not been renting the whole 25 years, have you? The rents back in the 80's must have been a pittance but the overall value you'd get as owner with a quarter century of appreciation have been stellar...)
I owned a townhome for 10 years, but went back to grad school and had to sell the place. There were ups and downs after that so I never got around to buying another place. At this point I'm 66 and will probably move to SC in a few years so I don't know there's much value in purchasing at this point in my life ... unless I win the Lottery or something.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:35 PM

Just thought I should update this. My wife and I ended up going with a condo 5 miles from work. It's a 2 bedroom, 1 bath, washer/dryer, with an attached garage for $1,100 + utilities. The owners have given us a lot of leeway as far as decorating goes and we're still trying to make it look "homier" but so far we're happy with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs