Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 06:59 PM

12 posts, read 44,016 times

Advertisements

I am new to the city and looking to furnish my house in modern contemporary style. All the big stores I have looked at are really expensive. Does anyone know any local furniture stores that are affordable and carry modern furniture? I am looking for sofas, beds ...everything. I have looked at dania, ikea and CB2 but not really found anything special there. I live in lake county but can travel far to get cheaper furniture.
thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 10:30 PM

7 posts, read 31,233 times
ingal,

You may try Design Within Reach which has a strong internet and catalog presence but also showrooms in Evanston and Chicago:

www.dwr.com/category/find+a+studio/evanston.do

Also Domicile Furniture has contemporary though maybe not completely modern offerings; maybe more expensive than CB2 though. They have locations in Lincolnwood and Evanston, though they have clearance outlets, one I think is in Wilmette, which is where I would go for deals.

www.domicilefurniture.com

Old 12-02-2009, 12:49 AM

7 posts, read 31,233 times
Sorry, just realized the clearance location I said might be in Wilmette is actually Evanston. Its a block into Evanston on Green Bay Road. Big showroom, everything there marked down, some scratch and dent stuff.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:53 PM

47 posts, read 193,154 times
In the city - although far from cheap, check out Design Studio and Room and Board (they are in Skokie too) - not "Jetsons" modern but more "contemporary/urban". R&B is my favorite and in my opinion, way more reasonably priced than "Design Within Reach" (what a terrible name that is!).

Which Dania did you go to? The Northbrook location is huge and has stuff at every price point.

Crate and Barrel furniture stores (like the one in the city at North/Clybourne) has a surprising selection of more contemporary pieces too.

Good luck

Old 12-02-2009, 03:00 PM

109 posts, read 353,388 times
You might also want to take a look at some of the antique stores...both Broadway Antique Mall and Edgewater Antique Mall have a lot of midcentury stuff if that's what you're looking for. They're just a couple of blocks from each other.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:28 AM

12 posts, read 44,016 times
thanks for your replies.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:41 PM

6 posts, read 31,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingal View Post
I am new to the city and looking to furnish my house in modern contemporary style. All the big stores I have looked at are really expensive. Does anyone know any local furniture stores that are affordable and carry modern furniture? I am looking for sofas, beds ...everything. I have looked at dania, ikea and CB2 but not really found anything special there. I live in lake county but can travel far to get cheaper furniture.
thanks in advance
Hello ingal, Can i help you in providing you a good source for your Modern Contemporary Style furniture, did you checked DA Stores for it modernfurniture4home.com if you're looking for cheaper then they have discount options on this festive season. They are offering their services abroad and if your whole house furnishing budget is upto 10,000$ or more you can get 15% discount on it.. So i would say do check them out, when you get your time..

Old 12-13-2009, 07:30 AM

15 posts, read 33,715 times
I'm into the modern look and Haverty's has really nice furniture that are modern but futuristic and of course Ikea has a whole lot of modern...

Old 07-01-2013, 09:44 AM

3 posts, read 6,936 times
Be sure to check out Affordable Portables for furniture. They are in both Evanston and Chicago. Selection is inexpensive and they also have some contemporary furniture.

http://www.affordableportables.net/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs