Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 04:16 PM

3 posts, read 5,604 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Alabama for most of my life as it is where my family is from. In the 50's when I was a little girl we lived in Tinley Park for several years and i loved it there. I did not want to move back. I hate the hot and humid weather here and always have. It seems like the older I get the worse it affects me. What is Tinley Park like now? I know it has grown a lot and I would really like to live in a smaller town. I just want to live where it is not so hot in the summer and it snows in the winter. I am retired and can't afford an expensive home. I would also like to live in a primarily Democratic area as I am completely outnumbered here. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 05:27 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
The question is would you like the winters? They're not as mild as Atlanta's and I (and many of my friends) grow increasingly weary of the winters around here as we get closer to AARP age..

Old 06-28-2013, 06:56 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,815,163 times
Chicago weather I'd say is likely the worst in the nation. Hot as the face of the sun with horrible humidity in the summer, then winters like the polar tundra.

I wouldn't say tinley is a small town, but not quite as congested if you were closer to the city.

As for politics, pretty much the entire suburban chicago area is heavily republican, the only areas that are democratic are the city of chicago and other surrounding cook county suburbs.
Though it's not that bad in the GOP areas compared to say the deep south where you are in Alabama that is infested with radical right wing evangelical nutjobs.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:10 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
I disagree on the weather. We don't get the extremes of heat or cold and no hurricanes to speak of. The problem is it changes so much. Heavy rain followed by drought, temperatures changing from morning to night. And weather forecasters often miss.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:17 PM

29 posts, read 118,273 times
We have HOT summers here, just so you're aware. Last summer was one of the worst... in the high 90s/low 100s through most of June-August (I'll always remember because I was 9 months pregnant and miserable!). And the winters can be really rough, especially if you're commuting to and from work every day. But I do enjoy the four seasons... Fall here is absolutely delightful and my favorite time of the year. Not sure about politics as I stay away from that, but it seems to be pretty mixed around the 'burbs.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:23 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,071,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post

As for politics, pretty much the entire suburban chicago area is heavily republican, the only areas that are democratic are the city of chicago and other surrounding cook county suburbs.
Though it's not that bad in the GOP areas compared to say the deep south where you are in Alabama that is infested with radical right wing evangelical nutjobs.
Tinley Park is definitely in a Democratic area. I wager that there's no such thing as "heavily" Republican anywhere in Chicagoland.

Chicagoland is approximately 8 million people and only 2 million of them live in the city. If what you are saying was true, Illinois couldn't possibly be nearly as Democratic as it is..

Old 06-29-2013, 09:00 AM

3 posts, read 5,604 times
I have no problems with the cold. I'm retired so commuting is not an issue. I have noticed some older homes for sale in Homewood. What kind of area is it? It's been so long since I have have been up there I know very little about the area anymore. I just know I hate living in Alabama.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:08 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,071,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidgy50 View Post
I have no problems with the cold. I'm retired so commuting is not an issue. I have noticed some older homes for sale in Homewood. What kind of area is it? It's been so long since I have have been up there I know very little about the area anymore. I just know I hate living in Alabama.
Homewood strikes controversy on this forum because of its racial diversity and a few people who think this diversity isn't gonna last. It's also controversial simply because it's a desirable area in the south suburbs east of I-57. I really really wouldn't worry about what its detractors say about it on this forum though.

I live in Flossmoor just outside of Homewood. It's a great area and more democratic than Tinley.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:40 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default Do a little research...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Many suburban districts have Represntstives elected from the Democratitc party --Jan schanowsky, Brad scheniender, Bill Lipinski's, all Dems, all huge parts of their district are suburban. Bill Foster represents a district that was once part of Speaker Dennis Hastert's district, Tammy Duckworth's district has big time DNC support..

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/IL

Sheesh.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:03 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Tinley Park is definitely in a Democratic area. I wager that there's no such thing as "heavily" Republican anywhere in Chicagoland.

Chicagoland is approximately 8 million people and only 2 million of them live in the city. If what you are saying was true, Illinois couldn't possibly be nearly as Democratic as it is..
Lake County used to be heavily Republican except for Waukegan and Highland Park. Now it is almost even. There are GOP strongholds, but nowhere near as much as the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs