Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 03:30 PM

29 posts, read 78,114 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are a young couple with no kids yet but planning for one soon
I recently got a job offer from a company in Westchester, IL (by the intersection of 290, 294 and 88) while my wife works with Abbott at Abbott Park. We are looking to relocate somewhere midway between our jobs with quick access to 294 is being very important. We are looking to rent an apartment or a condo (2 bedroom with 1.5 or 2 baths) in the $1100-$1200 range.
I am considering and are considering Des Plaines, Mt. Prospect, Park Ridge, Glenview.

I would request your feedback on the following:

1. Should we stay away from Park ridge and Des Plaines if noise from O'hare is going to be a nuisance
2. Do we have an advantage being in Des Plaines and Mt. Prospect (because of the Indian grocery stores and restaurants in that area). Yes you guessed it right, we are Indian.
3. Would the apartments/condos in Park ridge, Glenview be out of our price range?
4. Niles seems to be a good option but we did not find any apartment listings in Niles.

Thanks in advance fro your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 03:54 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
this place is very nice and in a good location. 5-10 minutes from I-294. Both of you would be going opposite the rush hour traffic flow to work and be within 30 minutes. Glenview Arlington Heights Apartments for Rent | Woodland Creek Northbrook
Not sure if it's in the budget.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:47 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
First the VAST majority of apartments in Park Ridge are not in areas that have any significant issues with airport noise, if you find a spot that is in your budget it would be foolish not to consider it.

There are more parts of DesPlaines that I would be more cautious about, both because of noise as well as general level of rowdiness.

There is no shortage of Indian grocers or restuarants in any of the desirable parts of the region -- Westmont (which is an easy commute to Westchester though not as easy to Waukegan / Abbott Park...) has many so do Lombard, Villa Park, Bensenville, DesPlaines, Skokie,Niles, Morton Grove, etc...

You can probably get a decent older apartment for $1200. It might be a two bedroom. I don't think you will have an easy time getting more than 1 bath at your price point.

Many smaller landlord do not spend much time / money advertising. Sign out front, cheap ad in local paper is the common method. Bigger rental companies plaster ads on all the web sites and expensive newspapers.

I agree that the place above might be good but I am not sure that there is light trafffic in both directions, in fact I think that is kind of impossible. If you both have commutes under an hour that might be possible but long term, if you want kids. I would suggest looking someplace with easier commute for mom as even in most balanced of households few dads are as responsive to picking up sick children from school / daycare as working mom...

Old 07-16-2013, 07:02 PM

Thank you for your reply Chet. There are many good suburbs in the west, many of which you mentioned which will be ok to me but will be too far my wife, since she has to drive to Abbott.
I will check out apartments in Park Ridge.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:40 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
There are considerable price differences in these suburbs.

Park Ridge and Glenview are very much "high end" suburbs with housing costs to match.

Mt. Prospect is a bit more value priced mainly because of smaller/less charming housing stock, but with excellent schools and amenities. The downtown is a bit lackluster, but has some function around the train stop. To me, it's a "good buy" if you can get over some of the aesthetic and charm deficiencies.

Des Plaines is budget priced for the area because of the lower-performing schools and greater economic diversity. It's by no means a dangerous suburb.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
There are considerable price differences in these suburbs.

Park Ridge and Glenview are very much "high end" suburbs with housing costs to match.

Mt. Prospect is a bit more value priced mainly because of smaller/less charming housing stock, but with excellent schools and amenities. The downtown is a bit lackluster, but has some function around the train stop. To me, it's a "good buy" if you can get over some of the aesthetic and charm deficiencies.

Des Plaines is budget priced for the area because of the lower-performing schools and greater economic diversity. It's by no means a dangerous suburb.
Thanks fro your comments.

I have done a lot of research in the last few days and the overall consensus seems to be similar to what you are saying: Park Ridge and Glenview most preferable if I can find something in my budget.

Mt. Prospect and Arlington Heights are rated well. (I do not prefer Arlington Heights because it will add 15 minutes or so to both our commutes).

Des plaines somehow ranks least preferred amongst these options.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:47 AM

Schools is not a big concern for us because we do not have kids yet.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:09 PM

27 posts, read 121,393 times
I'd choose Des Plaines for your price range. Check out Glen Oaks commons (I used to live there). Pretty close to 294, perfectly at your price range (last I checked), many Indian establishments nearby (couple of grocery stores, fast food restaurant, a nice Indian-nepalese restaurant and even an Indian movie theater) all within a mile. Although the surrounding area is too crowded for my taste. But if you don't mind that, it would be perfect.

I would go to Glenview/Northbrook if price wasn't an issue.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:10 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Seems to me that Schaumburg is the place for Indian restaurants and such. Though it is a bit west of the center point of employment, it may be worth it. The choice is up to you.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:01 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
First the VAST majority of apartments in Park Ridge are not in areas that have any significant issues with airport noise, if you find a spot that is in your budget it would be foolish not to consider it.

There are more parts of DesPlaines that I would be more cautious about, both because of noise as well as general level of rowdiness.

There is no shortage of Indian grocers or restuarants in any of the desirable parts of the region -- Westmont (which is an easy commute to Westchester though not as easy to Waukegan / Abbott Park...) has many so do Lombard, Villa Park, Bensenville, DesPlaines, Skokie,Niles, Morton Grove, etc...

You can probably get a decent older apartment for $1200. It might be a two bedroom. I don't think you will have an easy time getting more than 1 bath at your price point.

Many smaller landlord do not spend much time / money advertising. Sign out front, cheap ad in local paper is the common method. Bigger rental companies plaster ads on all the web sites and expensive newspapers.

I agree that the place above might be good but I am not sure that there is light trafffic in both directions, in fact I think that is kind of impossible. If you both have commutes under an hour that might be possible but long term, if you want kids. I would suggest looking someplace with easier commute for mom as even in most balanced of households few dads are as responsive to picking up sick children from school / daycare as working mom...
Chet, are you referring to Woodland Creek?
If you are, access to BOTH I-294 and IL53/I-290/I-355 is excellent. I live about 5 minutes west of the complex and I make it to my client across from Abbott in 30-35 minutes. Heck, I can make the WI state line in 40!
Westchester is also about the same, I can make it to my client south of downtown LaGrange in 40-45 minutes and Westchester is a bit closer.
There are traffic lights at Wheeling/Palatine Rd. intersection. You are 7 minutes from Randhurst for shopping/dining.movies, about 15-20 minutes from downtown Arlington Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs