Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 09:20 AM

51 posts, read 94,385 times

Advertisements

We have never been to the Dells and have heard good things about it. I have 2 boys (8 & 10). Can anyone recommend where to stay or to avoid? How to get the best rates, etc. I plan to go before school starts this fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 10:18 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,962 times
Been there several times. With so many places to stay, almost nobody can give you the definitive "best" recommendation. I would strongly suggest you spend some time on Trip Advisor checking out reviews and rankings. That said, here are my experiences:

I've been to Great Wolf, Kalahari, and a couple of the smaller, local hotels. Of those, I like Kalahari best. It's expensive (so is Great Wolf), but generally worth it IMHO when you factor in the included water park access (both indoor and outdoor) and special "unlimited" use deal you can get for the theme park. Kalahari also gets the unqualified endorsement of my 11 y.o. boy. The "Grand Marquis" gets high marks on Trip Advisor but we though it was awful. The indoor "waterpark" is tiny and geared more to toddlers than kids the age of yours.

This summer we camped for a week at Devil's Lake State Park which is 15-20 minutes drive from the Dells. We spent time hiking, fishing, biking, kayaking, and swimming at the beach. We went to the Dells a couple times for some of the attractions, but ended up saving money and having a more relaxing vacation by keeping our distance the rest of the time. Traffic and crowds can be a real nightmare in the Dells, especially on summer weekends.

Of the attractions, we really like the "Original Ducks" (a "Duck" ride is the definitive Dells experience, you gotta do it the first time you go there IMHO) and Wizard Quest. Tip on Wizard Quest: Go early on a weekday or as soon as they open on a weekend, last time we went on a Saturday afternoon and it was just too crowded. Pirates Cove is our favorite mini-golf place.

We like Monks at the Wilderness for a casual sit-down dinner (kids meals served on a frisbee they get to keep) and Moose-Jaw for carry out pizza (you can eat in, but theres often a long wait and the service is spotty). Paul Bunyan's Cook Shanty for an all-you-can-eat breakfast is one of our favorites too. Avoid Crabbys Seafood Buffet like the plague.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:29 AM

51 posts, read 94,385 times
Mad - thanks for the tips. I was looking at either Wildnerness or Kalahari - based on reviews. I have done some research and it does seem that both of these resorts have pro's/con's. Just wanted to get some additional feedback from others before we make our decision.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msujohn View Post
Mad - thanks for the tips. I was looking at either Wildnerness or Kalahari - based on reviews. I have done some research and it does seem that both of these resorts have pro's/con's. Just wanted to get some additional feedback from others before we make our decision.
I haven't stayed at Wilderness, but I've talked to many who have stayed at both and almost universally get the same feedback: both are ~= nice, but Wilderness is just too spread out.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:44 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
This should be in the Wisconsin forum not Illinois...

I've been there a few times. Your boys might enjoy one of those resort hotels like Great wolf lodge or others.
The best times to go when it's not as busy is August, but you should check the temperature to make sure it's still warm/hot because it's not fun when it's cooler than 72

Old 07-26-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
This should be in the Wisconsin forum not Illinois...
Does anyone from Wisconsin actually go to the Dells? Not sure I've seen anything other than an Illinois plate on any car there. On any Sunday evening from mid-June through mid-August it's bumper-to-bumper traffic from the Dells all the way to the west Suburbs.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:26 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msujohn View Post
We have never been to the Dells and have heard good things about it. I have 2 boys (8 & 10). Can anyone recommend where to stay or to avoid? How to get the best rates, etc. I plan to go before school starts this fall.
when iw as younger we used to go every year. havnt been in a number of years but i hear good things about hte wilderness something its called with an indoor waterpark

Old 07-26-2013, 12:30 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
Does anyone from Wisconsin actually go to the Dells? Not sure I've seen anything other than an Illinois plate on any car there. On any Sunday evening from mid-June through mid-August it's bumper-to-bumper traffic from the Dells all the way to the west Suburbs.
Funny when I went in early August, it was pretty clear.
Madison is 1 hr away and Milwaukee is 2 hrs away. Unless you have data, I call BS. It has Illinois visitors, as well as Wisconsin, and I'm sure several other states as well. Point is, it's in WI, not in the Chicago suburbs.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:46 PM

172 posts, read 438,182 times
The last few times we have gone to the Dells we didn't stay at a waterpark. We stayed at Sunset Bay Resort which is on the more quiet side of Lake Delton. They have an inside and outside pool plus they are on the lake. Devil's lake is beautiful and very close to the Dells. I agree that they would love Wizard Quest. We all had fun doing that. We also took a boat tour that was a lot of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs