Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 04:22 PM

884 posts, read 622,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
The el used to go to Westchester if I'm not mistaken. Wondering if it got re-extended back out there if it would be a boon for it.
The Westchester branch on the L system operated on tracks westward from the Des Plaines Ave. station in Forest Park (Blue Line). It terminated at Mannheim Rd. and Cermak Rd. in Westchester.

This service was ended in the early 1950s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2022, 07:11 PM

212 posts, read 230,044 times
I think the Blue Line would more likely be extended out to Oak Brook but some sort of Westchester Branch would be sweet

Ya I agree Westchester doesn’t change. It seems the same as it did to me in 2009

Old 10-05-2022, 12:34 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,367,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
The el used to go to Westchester if I'm not mistaken. Wondering if it got re-extended back out there if it would be a boon for it.
Yes, the predecessor L line before the current Forest Park Blue Line branch ran west to there. If you look at Google maps, you can essentially see the route it omce ran on, into Westchester. A bunch of those spaces that made up this L line's old route(between Balmoral Ave and Westchester Blvd), are now parks.

The modern day Pink Line, once ran past 54th St in Cicero to Oak Park Ave in Berwyn, as well. The old right of way is still there north of Cermak, but is now used as a wide alley along with parking spaces.

Old 10-07-2022, 09:53 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Yes, the predecessor L line before the current Forest Park Blue Line branch ran west to there. If you look at Google maps, you can essentially see the route it omce ran on, into Westchester. A bunch of those spaces that made up this L line's old route(between Balmoral Ave and Westchester Blvd), are now parks.

The modern day Pink Line, once ran past 54th St in Cicero to Oak Park Ave in Berwyn, as well. The old right of way is still there north of Cermak, but is now used as a wide alley along with parking spaces.
Interesting. I had a tough time seeing beyond the Mannheim/Cermak and then going between Balmoral and Westchester at first on Google Maps. This helps explain the route.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westchester_branch

Basically follows the Prairie Path from the Forest Park stop to Bellwood Ave and then turns south til Mannheim and Cermak.

Old 10-08-2022, 11:01 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
Westchester is just average. It does have solidly built brick homes. They are dated but not cool like some of the old vintage homes in Berwyn can be. There is really nothing too bad about it, but nothing really great about it either. I pass through it frequently and its nothing remarkable.

Old 10-08-2022, 06:21 PM

720 posts, read 1,083,336 times
It's hamstrung by Proviso - I feel like had it not been in that district it would be much better than it is.

Old 03-09-2023, 05:58 PM

29 posts, read 32,560 times
Westchester is a classic old school suburb, that was mostly built after the war, during the post WW2 housing boom. Lots of the houses are the same post ww2 houses made of brick.

It's an average suburb, but in a very good location, it's right by the Ike(290), Tri State(294), and Interstate 88, and close to O'hare and Midway.

It's a great area to start a family, and then move somewhere else, or it's good to downsize. Definitely a great place to start a family, or retire and downsize in forsure.

The Southwest portion of Westchester is newer(mostly built in the late 70s, 80s and 90s).

The older sections of Westchester on the Northeast, that was built before ww2, East of Mannheim Road, are semi okay, but not the most desireable part of Westchester.

Lots of good restaurants in the area, there's Pauls Pizza, Rocky Pizza, Priscillas Soul food, Emilos bar, Young Prince etc.

The sucky part of Westchester is that, lots of stores and places close around 9pm

The high school that is zoned to Westchester is kind of controversial and has a negative reputation, so most of the teenagers go to private schools such as Montini, Fenwick, Naz, IC Prep, Benet etc. Certain students are eligible to go to PMSA Proviso Math and Science Academy.

I used to live in Westchester back in the day, and I always loved going back to visit at times.

Westchester is very diverse too, all races, ethnicities live in the town. More middle class Hispanics, Black Americans, and Asians have moved to Westchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs