Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:28 AM

13 posts, read 38,756 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if there are any bad areas in Evanston. In particular, is the area around Willye B. White Park safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 10:30 AM

43 posts, read 250,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil122 View Post
I was just wondering if there are any bad areas in Evanston. In particular, is the area around Willye B. White Park safe?
Any area around White Park should be safe. I would definitely avoid Black Park though.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:00 PM

178 posts, read 370,892 times
That park is still Chicago. The Evanston/Chicago boundary is jagged around that area, but I know that park is in Chicago. Generally, everything north of Howard and west of the train yard is considered Evanston. If you go east......everything north of Juneway Terrace and the cemetery is Evanston. That park isn't a great area......there are shootings and drugs etc. There isn't a shooting every day, but violence is always a concern around that park. It has gotten slightly safer over the last decade, but it isn't gentrifying all that quickly. I wouldn't live there if I had kids. The area west of Green Bay Rd. and north of Church St. is generally considered to be the most dangerous area of Evanston. That area isn't too bad if you compare it to most Chicago neighborhoods, but it does have drugs and the occasional violent crime.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:37 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Seriously. The area around White Park is not Evanston and is not safe! It isn't called the Juneway Jungle for nothing. All of Evanston is safer than that. If you want to know whether a particular part of Evanston is safe, please post a suggested location that is actually in Evanston and people will respond.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:30 PM

I am talking about Chicago Ave and Howard Street. Is that area dangerous.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:42 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil122 View Post
I am talking about Chicago Ave and Howard Street. Is that area dangerous.
Personally, if I were moving to Evanston I would look north of South Boulevard. So, I wouldn't live there, but I'm sure you could do worse.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:40 PM

So the area around Roger's Park is dangerous?

Old 08-03-2013, 01:32 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Rogers Park covers a lot of territory parts are safe and parts are not.

The area around the Howard "el* is a place I would avoid in either Chicago or Evanston (it's not in Evanston though).

Go south in the city in Rogers Park - I think the area around Loyola University is pretty safe.

Here's a Rogers Park crime map
Rogers Park Crime Map Beta - Trulia

In Evanston, I would live north of South Boulevard.

South Evanston (60202) crime map
60202 Crime Map Beta - Trulia

Old 08-05-2013, 10:46 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
OK, one more time... Chicago Ave and Howard Street do not intersect in Evanston!

Chicago Ave (called Clark Street in Chicago) intersects Howard Street in Rogers Park, which is part of Chicago. That part of Rogers Park is dangerous, but other parts of Rogers Park are much better.

In Evanston, I agree that it's best to live north of South Boulevard (except west of Ridge, where it's fine to be south of South Boulevard).

I found the Trulia map confusing because it shows East Lakeview as one of the most dangerous neighborhoods on the North Side, which is very much counter to my experience. I realize that a map that counts crimes rather than crime rates will make high-density areas look bad, but the splotch of red across East Lakeview does not seem realistic to me.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:01 AM

337 posts, read 929,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post

I found the Trulia map confusing because it shows East Lakeview as one of the most dangerous neighborhoods on the North Side, which is very much counter to my experience. I realize that a map that counts crimes rather than crime rates will make high-density areas look bad, but the splotch of red across East Lakeview does not seem realistic to me.
Not to mention that fact that E. Lakeview has tons of nightlife and attracts lots of people from outside the area, thus boosting the "population" for a few hours every day and providing targets for thieves. A similar situation obtains in the Loop, usually shown on crime maps as one of the most dangerous neighborhoods.

I would like to see some sophisticated statistical whiz come up with a realistic crime map of Chicago based on these factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs