Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 05:58 AM

113 posts, read 145,210 times

Advertisements

There are a LOT of highly ranked schools in area so if it were me I would research schools that specialize in special needs as I would imagine some would be better able to handle this than others. Inside special needs programs and schools | GreatSchools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 06:49 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
I have no confidence in sites that any shmoe can "rate" a school as wonderful / terrible. When it comes to "special needs" I really don't know if there are means of objectively measuring which schools are a better choice as there is no objective way to know where the kids start / end up.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:04 AM

113 posts, read 145,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I have no confidence in sites that any shmoe can "rate" a school as wonderful / terrible. When it comes to "special needs" I really don't know if there are means of objectively measuring which schools are a better choice as there is no objective way to know where the kids start / end up.
The article I linked to doesn't attempt to do that - it merely explains the options a parent has available with regard to children with special needs. Not sure if that site actually rates schools ability to serve special needs but if I did I certainly would consider that information as well into my search. Ultimately they will need to get some first hand experiences from other parents and visit the schools you are considering IMO.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:46 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,774,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
You're talking as if getting to the north end of DG is like getting to the north side of Chicago from the south side.
No, you are misunderstanding me. I'm just saying that there are other suburbs that are convenient to that office park area as well as Downers Grove itself. I would still start in Downers Grove if I were in the OP's position. But if for whatever reason they can't find a house in DG that they like in this tight housing market, there are other options that could work as well.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:19 PM

Default Right. See what often happens with relocation situations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
No, you are misunderstanding me. I'm just saying that there are other suburbs that are convenient to that office park area as well as Downers Grove itself. I would still start in Downers Grove if I were in the OP's position. But if for whatever reason they can't find a house in DG that they like in this tight housing market, there are other options that could work as well.
...is someone with NO knowledge of the region "gets a tip from a friend" that XXXXXXXX town is THE place for schools or parks or home values or prestige or WHATEVER. The hapless transferee then has their list of homes that they "saw online" and find out that in fact the place look fantastic online actually backs up to the garbage pen of a strip mall with two ethnic resturants and a pet wash. Not so good. Then helpful real estate agent that says "you know in your price point I really thing you should you consider YYYYYYY town because it actually has better schools as shown by the Interactive Report Card, parks that blow away the other towns, better long term price stability, etc...

If there are no homes AVAILABLE in XXXXX town it very often makes sense to consider the neighboring areas.

There is kind of hierarchy of prices but if the OP has $700K and is OK with considering a range or existing homes that run the gamut from newer construction in-fill to historic but not particularly updated they MIGHT find something in DG but the same could be said for about 8-10 towns within a 30 minute drive of the office location. The absolute ranking of schools and such will vary but the options are all pretty solid.

If folks understand what they are getting vs what they are giving up places like Oak Brook can be terrific -- no real core but honestly parks and facilities run by Park District / municipality that blow away what would cost THOUSANDS per month in country club / health center fees, the most extensive network of fitness / jogging / bicycle paths in any town its size, super responsive police force and top tier paramedics funded almost exclusively by sales tax revenue at the luxury Oakbrook Center Mall, knock out shopping options there and at adjacent retail oriented strips, great range of dining and hotels, fantastic amounts of greenspace, pleasantly employed / retired neighbors that are unlikely to intrude on your privacy and all kinds of pluses that come with higher than average housing costs...

Old 08-10-2013, 06:21 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,461,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Then helpful real estate agent that says "you know in your price point I really thing you should you consider YYYYYYY town because it actually has better schools as shown by the Interactive Report Card, parks that blow away the other towns, better long term price stability, etc...
...because people should take advice from a real estate agent whose sole job is to close a sale.

As I said before, I am very familiar with DG and spend tons of time in the area. Suggesting OB over DG for a person with a family is insane and shows where your head is. Have you ever spent time in DG during summer weekends? Why don't you take some time off from commission work and spend a nice weekend perusing downtown DG, and report back to CD with your findings.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:50 AM

I spend about 1/3 of my time in Downers Grove. I have many close friends that live in Downers Grove. I actually am recommendeding the OP start their search in DG.

I am also suggesting that if the OP cannot find a home suits the needs of their family in DG there are many nice reasons to consider Oak Brook, especially since portions of Oak Brook have the same schools as DG, may be as close to work locations and offer a better value.

I do not make my living selling real estate. I like to use my deep knowledge of real estate in the region to offer folks contemplating relocation a balanced view of what might be appropriate for them.

If anyone actually read the whole thread one would see I shared information about DG that only comes from insider type familiarity...

Sheesh.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:47 AM

8 posts, read 17,472 times
Great schools in my mind mean inclusive of kids with special needs, progressive, high testing scores (we can debate this, but unfortunately, this is the world we live in), great extracurricular programming, etc. Some school districts are just better than others, period. My housing budget is high because we have moved a few times and we made a killing on two houses when the market was hot, but it seems like some people already have me figured out.

Funny, when I used this forum to find a house in Pittsburgh a few years ago, I found the people here to be such a great resource to trade opinions and get honest assessments of where to live. It gave me a good sense of where would be a good place to relocate my family so I didn't waste my time going from town to town on places that probably wouldn't have been a good fit. I had no idea it would be so contentious, but I do appreciate the people who gave solid advice when asked, and I appreciate the time people have taken to help me.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:10 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,774,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorburgh View Post
Great schools in my mind mean inclusive of kids with special needs, progressive, high testing scores (we can debate this, but unfortunately, this is the world we live in), great extracurricular programming, etc. Some school districts are just better than others, period. My housing budget is high because we have moved a few times and we made a killing on two houses when the market was hot, but it seems like some people already have me figured out.
What type of neighborhood and house do you prefer? Something with an "in town" feel with tree-lined streets and sidewalks? Older house or newer house? That could help me narrow this down a bit. But if you haven't figured this out yet, you have to go really far out to get a new subdivision in Chicagoland. Many people don't think it's worth it, and people who like newer houses often spend more to tear down and rebuild in a more established neighborhood (with really mixed results, in my opinion).

Downers grove has an older core around the downtown with houses built largely from the 1890's through the 1920s, and most of them have been quite nicely fixed up and updated. It then seems like the next building boom was from the 1960s through the 1980s, with many split-level ranch, raised ranch, and two-story colonials. The Orchard Brook subdivision that Chet mentioned is mostly post-war ranches and colonials, but still has a somewhat upscale feel because the home values have remained high. The older houses around the downtown area are probably the most expensive real estate in town, with the Denburn Woods subdivision feeling like a unique exclusive wooded enclave.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:49 AM

8 posts, read 17,472 times
We currently live in a wonderful subdivision with great, new houses, but it is far away from everything, so we've been there and done that. We're looking to live closer to down town. We would like a yard, but it most certainly doesn't need to be gigantic. I don't mind an older home as all, as long as it has been maintained, and fairly updated. I am coming out to look at houses soon, and am looking at Downers Grove, Wheaton, Naperville (203 mainly for commuting reasons and proximity to downtown) and Glen Ellyn. If I don't like those areas, I'll expand my search elsewhere. Thanks for the feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs