Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:37 PM

158 posts, read 302,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There have been efforts to de-annex from Proviso. Unfortunately the process is neither simple nor free from poltical power brokers influence -- both the loss of tax wealth that would hurt Proviso and the desire by "elites" to keep their desirable schools from being overcrowded work against this ever happening. If FP would ever figure out attach to a neighboring district is would cause a massive shift in values, but there is just about no way this could happen.
It's a shame because there are some very nice homes there and they have good lively downtown. Bordering Maywood is also a problem because of the crime that brings. Maywood is a drag on every community around it except River Forest. River Forest is too affluent to be dragged down by Maywood. Plus the River Forest Police Department is no nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 10:36 PM

158 posts, read 302,304 times
Maywood over the last 14 years has averaged 8 homicides a year. Austin has averaged 38 but Maywood has only a quarter of the population that Austin has. Times 4 and Maywood is nearly on par with Austin.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:10 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Side Brandon View Post
It's a shame because there are some very nice homes there and they have good lively downtown. Bordering Maywood is also a problem because of the crime that brings. Maywood is a drag on every community around it except River Forest. River Forest is too affluent to be dragged down by Maywood. Plus the River Forest Police Department is no nonsense.
Plus River Forest has a "moat" of sorts in the form of a forest and a river that seperates it from 'da hood which is Maywood. There's no truth to the rumor that there's alligators in the river, though it's quite an imposing natural barrier.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:38 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Side Brandon View Post
Maywood over the last 14 years has averaged 8 homicides a year. Austin has averaged 38 but Maywood has only a quarter of the population that Austin has. Times 4 and Maywood is nearly on par with Austin.
They had one good year, but apparently it was a fluke.

Murder-free Maywood marks an awkward anniversary - Chicago Tribune

Old 08-23-2013, 01:35 PM

4 posts, read 4,116 times
Forest park is a great area the streets are clean and quiet ...I own a townhouse which I am renting there.. its been a easy rental my renters have sent their kids to catholic grammar school in river forest and they love the school and convenience. When kids reach high school then that could be an issue but there are options Catholic high school & CAA Chicago are a couple and while they are expensive.. both choices are better than OPRF which is struggling to maintain itself under budget cuts.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:57 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
I don't think I ever had a tenant that sent their kids to private school and I must have had over a hundred different families over the years. Not saying it not possible just seems rather unusual, but then I never owned any rental properties in a town like Forest Park...

Old 08-23-2013, 03:00 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Yea, a typical renter concerned about schools would probably spring a couple hundred more a month to be in a better district but :shrug: The Catholic school options in the area are definitely good though.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:14 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I don't think I ever had a tenant that sent their kids to private school and I must have had over a hundred different families over the years. Not saying it not possible just seems rather unusual, but then I never owned any rental properties in a town like Forest Park...
Chet, where are your rentals? PM me if you must, but I may be interested if you have a January move in.....we can talk right?

Old 08-23-2013, 03:56 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default I sold my last rental back about 2005...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Chet, where are your rentals? PM me if you must, but I may be interested if you have a January move in.....we can talk right?
...I would love to say it was my skillful assessment of the impending collapse of the bubble driven real estate, but my wife told me in no uncertain terms that since the expenses we had when I first got into the rental thing were gone (kids moved out...) I had better find a way to end the middle of the night calls and other craziness that went with even well manged small scale rentals or I could go live in one. By myself... I don't like ultimatums both she had a point, even with good tenants there are always "little projects" like dealing with a remodel or storm damage or something. Now I just get to tell other folks how I would solve those problems in the rental forum

Old 08-26-2013, 02:04 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,785,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Byrne View Post
Forest park is a great area the streets are clean and quiet ...I own a townhouse which I am renting there.. its been a easy rental my renters have sent their kids to catholic grammar school in river forest and they love the school and convenience. When kids reach high school then that could be an issue but there are options Catholic high school & CAA Chicago are a couple and while they are expensive.. both choices are better than OPRF which is struggling to maintain itself under budget cuts.
OPRF budget cuts? OPRF has a $123 million surplus, so it's hardly "struggling to maintain itself"... Plus those are not better choices... The Catholic high school maybe "better" if you're looking to send you kids to an institution tied to a specific religion. In the end it comes down to the kinds of experiences you want your kids to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs