Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 02:09 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times

Advertisements

I'll have to take a drive otu there and visit and walk around and see for myself how I like it but curious what you guys think about buying a condo above some bar or store on Madison Street in Forest Park. I hear some people say forest park is ghetto and others say its close to city and up and comming. Whats your thoguhts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 03:54 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times
Nice option, and that location is good. Wouldn't live there if I had school aged kids, but if single or no kids would definitely consider it. Convenient to the city/public transport, relatively inexpensive housing, much more diverse then the "old days" and Madison street has more interesting shops and eateries then nearby Oak Park... especially for younger people/pub crowd. Not bad, not the best... but affordable and convenient. Buying something close to Madison probably has better turn-over potential. Of course, it might be a little loud at night... I would ask about that.

Ghetto? What?

Old 08-07-2013, 10:04 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I'll have to take a drive otu there and visit and walk around and see for myself how I like it but curious what you guys think about buying a condo above some bar or store on Madison Street in Forest Park. I hear some people say forest park is ghetto and others say its close to city and up and comming. Whats your thoguhts?
Forest Park is not ghetto in the least. Frankly, it's a pretty cool/funky suburb. If you're young and like bars / restaurants /whatnot, you could find worse suburbs.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:32 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times
Sounds like it might be nice. Yeah I'm late 20's no kids, already have a house in district 204 that I'm renting and could go back to when I decide to settle down. Thought it might be nice to be near an expressway, a little closer to the city but not dealing with as much congestion, parking issues, etc plus still easy to get out to burbs to see friends and family. I may look into this. Surprised how cheap housing is. Lots of condos for dirt cheap, being on Madison will cost a little more but like you said probably a bit more rare in terms of properties and maybe easier for resale or renting down the road.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:57 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
I think that Forest Park's downtown area on Madison Street will continue to be a major draw for people for a long time, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to tie a real estate investment to that. I think it's also an area where a condo buy would make sense, due to the amenities and the transit options. Just don't pay too much.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,424 times
I love Forest Park and I live just off Madison. It doesn't get too loud and it's not really ghetto. They have had to cut down on the town celebrations in order to stop the riff raff from coming in, but I'm not sure that will work. Hopefully we'll have 4th of July, Summerfest and everything else back soon.

Great restaurants and some nice bars on Madison and I really like my block. All around great place to live.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:32 PM

158 posts, read 302,337 times
Forest Park has quite a bit going for it. The killer is the High School district. You better be able to afford private schools if you have children it feeds into the Proviso East High School district which is a disaster. Proviso East serves Broadview and Maywood too. Maywood is truly a hellhole and the worst western suburb there is.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:52 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Side Brandon View Post
Forest Park has quite a bit going for it. The killer is the High School district. You better be able to afford private schools if you have children it feeds into the Proviso East High School district which is a disaster. Proviso East serves Broadview and Maywood too. Maywood is truly a hellhole and the worst western suburb there is.
Yeah, if kids are on the horizon, don't get stuck in Forest Park unless you have the ability to pay for private schools. Proviso East quite likely the worst high school in the western burbs.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:13 PM

158 posts, read 302,337 times
Forest Park would have much higher home values without that High School District I think.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:26 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Absolutely ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Side Brandon View Post
Forest Park would have much higher home values without that High School District I think.
There have been efforts to de-annex from Proviso. Unfortunately the process is neither simple nor free from poltical power brokers influence -- both the loss of tax wealth that would hurt Proviso and the desire by "elites" to keep their desirable schools from being overcrowded work against this ever happening. If FP would ever figure out attach to a neighboring district is would cause a massive shift in values, but there is just about no way this could happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs