Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 12:03 PM

10 posts, read 47,765 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Great advice on a lot of things. I am considering a new job in Harvard, IL, but would like to live a little closer to the city-- perhaps Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove, Palatine, Barrington. All of these places look to be very close to route 14. Does anyone have any thoughts about a commute from, for example, Arlington Heights--> route 14--> to Harvard, IL? Would appreciate any input. Any thoughts about these places, or others? We are looking for good schools, diversity, family areas. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 09:25 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
Harvard, huh? wow, that's up there. All of the towns you mentioned are quite nice. Barrington is known for being pretty expensive.

I am a bit south of that area, so i wouldnt be able to help much ... more bumping back up your message.

and, wanting to be closer to the city... all those towns are still pretty far out from down town.

for housing, you will find more reasonable housing closer to Harvard ... Woodstock or so ... but again, i'm not too familiar with it... though i do know where Harvard is. ;-)

Old 11-18-2007, 04:57 AM

474 posts, read 2,538,206 times
Default A Commute From Harvard, Il?

Dear Friend:

Harvard, IL is a very nice town but as the previous thread suggested, it is a fairly long distance from the closer towns (of Chicago) that you mentioned.

Harvard is somewhat famous for the huge Motorola plans of a number of years ago. Motorola built a multi-million dollar facility just outside of the town and kept it running for a few years.

Today, I believe Motorola's "white elephant" is still sitting dormant with only a security force in place. So Motorola gave Harvard very 'great expectations' and then snatched out the rug from beneath the town's economic expectations.

A different sort of transportation idea that I offer to you would be to take the METRA railroad system (Harvard is the western end of that particular line) - - towards Arlingthon Heights or any other town along that railroad system. Then, wherever you get 'off', walk to your parked 'beater' of a car in a private residential garage that you might rent. Then, with your 'beater', you can disembark to wherever you decide for employment. And then repeat the process returning home. In this manner, you can avoid any inclement weather on your way out to Harvard.

If you choose renting a reitred lady's garage for your beater, then have an electrical outlet so that you can keep an electronic battery charger on the battery of your car. Use an 'electronic' charger, only, since a non - electronic charger might set your car and garage on fire. That happened in my own neighborhood several years ago.

I recommend this method because IL - 14 and many other roads can become very nasty during an unexpected severe snow storm / blizzard that the Chicago area experiences.

'Hope this helps with your decisions.

Carter Glass,
Wheaton, IL

Old 11-18-2007, 10:32 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
yes, you can work in Harvard and live in Arlington Heights or that area......its really just a reverse commute, it is in your favor. Its just the same as someone living in Chicago and taking the metra to Arlington Heights.

You have the metra on your side if you stay along the rt 14 corridor.

Arlington Heights is quite close to the city (I dont understand some peoples perception of a long distance, but then I am quite used to commuting, and have lived in the suburbs most of my life...and other places that are actually quite far from a big city).

Harvard is nice, and in my opinion you would be just fine there, and anywhere up to about Arlington Heights, if you rely on Metra, but you could drive as well.

Crystal Lake is nice....and in my opinion a nice manageable distance from the city, if you just want to go there on weekends for entertainment.

Arlington Heights is just more congested, and a bit closer in....but what does it matter if you are not going to be in the city on a regular basis?

Old 11-19-2007, 02:05 PM

10 posts, read 47,765 times
Thank you for all the input. I will probably need to drive to work in Harvard, but I wil definitely consider the "beater" idea.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:26 PM

4 posts, read 15,114 times
I am very familiar with Harvard and I enjoy it. It has a nice small town feel to it. The downtown eating areas are dirt cheap and pretty good quality. Harvard is very close to Woodstock (15 minutes) and Crystal Lake (30 minutes). Both of those are very nice communities as well. Harvard is the last stop on the Metra and the ride is about 1 hr 30 mins.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:54 AM

17 posts, read 104,773 times
LOVE Woodstock/Bull Valley, these areas are still rural, yet not too far from the big city to casue a problem. Look there, as Harvard is well withing the distance you desire!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:34 PM

24 posts, read 84,587 times
If you want something newer consider Algonquin or Lake in the Hills area

Old 04-17-2008, 12:21 PM

545 posts, read 2,043,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneybrook View Post
Hi everyone,

Great advice on a lot of things. I am considering a new job in Harvard, IL, but would like to live a little closer to the city-- perhaps Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove, Palatine, Barrington. All of these places look to be very close to route 14. Does anyone have any thoughts about a commute from, for example, Arlington Heights--> route 14--> to Harvard, IL? Would appreciate any input. Any thoughts about these places, or others? We are looking for good schools, diversity, family areas. Thank you
REPLY: Harvard is on the other side of the earth from Arlington Heights and not real practical for a daily commute. Consider Lake County like around Antioch, Lake Villa, or even Richmond. With the exception of Richmond, this area has alot of shops and things to do while having a good country feel to it . I live in Lake Villa myself. Youd take Route 173 west all the way to Harvard. Homes are cheaper up here than Arl. Hts. too. Alot cheaper.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,660 times
I work in Harvard and my husband works in Chicago. We live in Barrington. That seems to be the half way mark between Harvard and Chicago. Plus Barrington is richy neighborhood and has great schools! The train goes from Harvard to Barrington to Chicago. The drive from Harvard straight to Chicago is 1hr and 30min. If you stay around the Barrington area you will have about a 45 min drive to Harvard and about a 45 min drive to Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs