Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 10:43 AM

10 posts, read 24,150 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are moving to Chicago sometime end of September. Looking for 3 bedroom apartments/townhomes in Naperville/Aurora area where there are Asian Indians. Good school district is a must!!
My husband will have to go to the city everyday to work. Any suggestions on good communities where I can look for rentals??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 02:41 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
See my comments in this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...apartmens.html

Old 08-13-2013, 06:33 PM

103 posts, read 164,105 times
Default Why do you need to live amongst Indians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVSeattle View Post
Hi, We are moving to Chicago sometime end of September. Looking for 3 bedroom apartments/townhomes in Naperville/Aurora area where there are Asian Indians. Good school district is a must!!
My husband will have to go to the city everyday to work. Any suggestions on good communities where I can look for rentals??
If your husband is working downtown and you have the dough, why not the West or South Loop?

Old 08-13-2013, 06:42 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Maybe because good schools in Chicago mean mostly the selective admissions schools where the slots were largely filled last spring.

Or maybe becuase they prefer the amenities of suburban life, including high degree of safety, ease of car ownership / travel, rich range of family oriented recreational pursuits, established links to friends that already live in the area...

West Loop has no real good options for elementary school and largely consistents of converted industrial spaces and midrise not well known for immense of park space.

Though South Loop does have more family oriented housing and better access to parks it too suffers from overcrowded schools.

I know a handful of well of families of east Indian background that do live in the South Loop. They send ther children to the very costly University of Chicago Lab Schools, same as mayor Emmanuel. That greatly diminishes ones housing budget...

Old 08-13-2013, 07:06 PM

103 posts, read 164,105 times
Default Not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Maybe because good schools in Chicago mean mostly the selective admissions schools where the slots were largely filled last spring.

Or maybe becuase they prefer the amenities of suburban life, including high degree of safety, ease of car ownership / travel, rich range of family oriented recreational pursuits, established links to friends that already live in the area...

West Loop has no real good options for elementary school and largely consistents of converted industrial spaces and midrise not well known for immense of park space.

Though South Loop does have more family oriented housing and better access to parks it too suffers from overcrowded schools.

I know a handful of well of families of east Indian background that do live in the South Loop. They send ther children to the very costly University of Chicago Lab Schools, same as mayor Emmanuel. That greatly diminishes ones housing budget...
The poster specifically asked for places w/ East Indians and not for places with good schools.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:33 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie creamcheese View Post
The poster specifically asked for places w/ East Indians and not for places with good schools.
Actually, the OP specifically said that good schools were a must. Given that schools are a high priority for the OP the suburbs probably make more sense than the city.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:27 PM

117 posts, read 202,052 times
Default Do you have anything against non-Indians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVSeattle View Post
Are you native to America or were you born in India? I always am curious why someone would come overseas to live in the exact same environment from which they come.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:37 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditi Jyoti View Post
Are you native to America or were you born in India? I always am curious why someone would come overseas to live in the exact same environment from which they come.
You should NOT be , From the very start most ethnic people's settled in the same neiborhoods as others from the same Country. That's what Chicago is all about, alwas has been........One simple answer is speeking the language for some older people and the comfort of people like yourself around. It's not a lot different with US citizens living abroad.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:36 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditi Jyoti View Post

People are comfortable among their own, and this isn't just an Asian thing. But you get the best of both worlds. You get to explore a large city and be insulated among your own folks. And tbh, if I were Indian, I would kind of want to be among my own as well.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:59 PM

79 posts, read 100,222 times
Default This person obviously speaks English just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
You should NOT be , From the very start most ethnic people's settled in the same neiborhoods as others from the same Country. That's what Chicago is all about, alwas has been........One simple answer is speeking the language for some older people and the comfort of people like yourself around. It's not a lot different with US citizens living abroad.
And just because some Americans do the same does not make it a good practice. My mom is technically American but came from overseas and she always was able to make friends from different cultures rather than staying with her own kind. That sort of thing makes no sense unless you have no interest in those who are different than you and just want a carbon copy. Also, some immigrants actually look down on Americans and want nothing to do with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs