Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:05 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,030 times

Advertisements

[Lots of applause] to your search and focus on Lombard! Very exciting! I can't wait to do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 11:57 PM

6 posts, read 23,562 times
Default Loved Lombard

I lived in Lombard for several years and loved it there. The people were friendly and down to earth, it's central to lots of activities like shopping, quality medical care, and transportation to the city.

You will love Lilacia Park, check it out around the holidays.

If you decide to buy, try to get a home near the Prarie Path, it's great for biking, running and long walks.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:54 PM

338 posts, read 616,756 times
I appreciate all of the posts, myself. And thanks for the wonderful pictures! I am confident that the real estate market will improve in 2009 and we hope to start the family's new life in Wheaton by next summer.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:50 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
If you're looking for a very conservitive, religious town with great schools wheaton will be your best choice of really any city in the chicago area hands down. I've lived here in wheaton for about 20 years, and as for schools if you stay south of roosevelt road you will be in district 200 which as far as i know is the best, or close to best school district in the state. The public highschool (wheaton south) has been renovated over the past 5 years, also if you were planning on catholic schools there is saint michaels grammar school downtown and st. frances high school right off of roosevelt and county farm. There is also the religious wheaton college (ranked 2nd "squarest" college is the country from how strict it is) also college of dupage, one of the best community colleges in the country.
Also some wheaton trivia is it has more churches per capita, per square mile then any other city in the country, plus it's a dry town (no liquor stores or bars) Restaurants can't even have beer signs in windows or advertise alcohol what so ever (you'll notice the chilli's restaurant just says "chilli's" Not "chilli's bar and grill" like every other location) there is even more but this really is just some examples of how conservative the city is.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:16 AM

610 posts, read 2,728,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
If you're looking for a very conservitive, religious town with great schools wheaton will be your best choice of really any city in the chicago area hands down. I've lived here in wheaton for about 20 years, and as for schools if you stay south of roosevelt road you will be in district 200 which as far as i know is the best, or close to best school district in the state. The public highschool (wheaton south) has been renovated over the past 5 years, also if you were planning on catholic schools there is saint michaels grammar school downtown and st. frances high school right off of roosevelt and county farm. There is also the religious wheaton college (ranked 2nd "squarest" college is the country from how strict it is) also college of dupage, one of the best community colleges in the country.
Also some wheaton trivia is it has more churches per capita, per square mile then any other city in the country, plus it's a dry town (no liquor stores or bars) Restaurants can't even have beer signs in windows or advertise alcohol what so ever (you'll notice the chilli's restaurant just says "chilli's" Not "chilli's bar and grill" like every other location) there is even more but this really is just some examples of how conservative the city is.

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to point out two things. The last post said that "if you stay south of Roosvelt road you'll be in district 200". Actually north of Roosevelt is in District 200 as well. Roosevelt Rd is the dividing line for the two high schools. There are several CUSD 200 elem, 2 middle and one high school north of Roosevelt Road. Most of Wheaton attends CUSD 200 with a small portion in the NE and SE corner going to Glen Ellyn schools.

It was also said that "Wheaton is a dry town". Wheaton is not dry, you can purchase and consume alcohol in the city. The grocery stores sell alcohol, restaurants that don't serve breakfast can sell alcohol and several restaurants have bars inside. Restaurants can not serve alcohol on the sidewalks if dining outdoors, but if you are on an enclosed patio that is fine - City owns the sidewalks The Gables, now is Rosies, is just north of town and is a full service bar that advertises. Yes, this is in an unincorporated section of town but it is just about 2 minutes north of town on Gary. Many moons ago Wheaton was dry but for the last 20 years or so you've been able to purchase alcohol in the grocery stores and restaurants.

Just wanted to clarify

Old 09-08-2008, 06:06 PM

945 posts, read 1,987,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I, like IrishSetterGirl, question that if you have lived in Wheaton for 20 years, where have you been? The original "town" of Wheaton. ie: downtown, is NORTH of Roosevelt Rd. In fact, the entire downtown and all the way to Geneva Rd. is Wheaton. And as she stated, Wheaton has not been a dry town for going on 27 years. As I said, what rock have you been under in this town? Wheaton North(also dist. 200) went under the same renovations/additions at the same time Wheaton South did- the referendum was passed for both High Schools. The oldest elementary school in Wheaton and I believe in Illinois was the original Longfellow which was torn down and replaced with a new one- 6 or so years ago. It's NORTH of Roosevelt Rd. Lastly, the "courthouse square" condo project is under construction with the original "DuPage Co. courthouse" as one of the buildings which will house 1/2mil to over a mil. townhouses/penthouses when finished. National Louis University occupied the building for a # of years and yes, Wheaton and NORTH of Roosevelt Rd. Hope this clarifies as the bottom line is, much of the south side of Wheaton came into existance long, long after the town of "Wheaton" originated on the north side of Roosevelt. I question the intentions of the poster who seems to have no idea about what kind of town he/she lives in. Conservative and religious is "old, old school" in this town and I assure you, many residents of Wheaton are far from it in every way.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:37 PM

15 posts, read 43,759 times
I've never really explored Lombard myself. I've lived in Wheaton for a few years and love it. I was disappointed to hear that you chose Lombard, but I guess I would just really like to know that another person has found their new life in Wheaton. District 200 is one of the best in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs