Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 07:42 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
great isn't it? It actually seems to be that way all over the country. My phone and email runneth over with IT opps from all over ...
Yeah, it's heating up ... Had two voice mails from Texas recruiters this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 11:20 AM

5 posts, read 8,668 times
Thanks! This is helpfful

Old 08-15-2013, 11:38 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovefromOC View Post
We are contemplating moving from LA/OC to Naperville or any other Chicago Suburb. We need some advice regarding public schools and weather and job market. Here are few topics that we need advice on:

1. Both my husband and I are in IT industry with years of experience and would like to know the current job market in Chicago and near by suburbs
2. We would like to know the neighborhood (subdivision) in Naperville with best Middle school and High school. We are considering buying a house and can afford up to $550K
3. How is the Social scene and as we have an active social activities with in the neighborhood and Sunday school
4. what is the basic expectation in terms of everyday commute (EX: Napperville to Chicago DT)
5. How cold does it really get in the winter? Will it disrupt the daily activities? How do the kids keep themselves physically active during winter?

We have been here for more than 16/17 years and feel it's time for a change. Anyone who has gone through this please list the pros/cons as to what is the realistic time needed to adjust.

Thanks
With 550k for a house you shouldn't have to much of a problem finding a house, just keep in mind Naperville can be more expensive than some of its neighbors(Bolingbrook, Romeoville, Plainfield, Woodridge). The schools in Naperville are very good and either district should suit you fine. The social scene is pretty good and Naperville has a thriving downtown that seems packed anytime of day. As for commute you can hop on the BNSF line at downtown Naperville or Rt.59 and if you catch an express train it should take 40 minutes one way, non express probably an hour. Keep in mind if you do drive to the train that parking fills up extremely early, probably by 6:30...you may get lucky up to 7am and also monthly parking passes have an extremely long wait list. Finally, the winter question....well compared to Cali its going to be a shock. Usually during the day it will sit somewhere around 30 degrees and at night will probably drop to 15 or so and most days don't see a lot of clear skys. I don't mind the cold really its just when the snow and freezing rain come into town.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:19 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Best remedy I've found for the ice and snow are YakTrax Pro ... I'm 66yo and live in fear of a fall, so at $20 these are a real lifesaver:

Amazon.com: yaktrax pro

Old 09-17-2013, 09:51 AM

21 posts, read 43,437 times
Hello - We just moved here from San Francisco bay area not even a month. We moved to Naperville becuase my hubby is relocated to his company's head quarter. We have been living in San Francisco bay area for over 16 years, and it was time for us to moved. We also have a 11 years old girl. Bay area schools are not great, and we choosed Naperville becuase the fantastic school system. The move was hard and stressful, but now we are in the middle of settling down. We have a good days and bad days. I also worked in IT field in bay area for over 10+ years. I am happy that we are here but it is hard!! just need to prepare to say goodbye to all your friends in CA. and miss them so much

Old 09-17-2013, 10:46 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
My wife never lived in a cold climate when we moved to the midwest (from LA), but I grew up in the midwest. We live in Naperville now. My wife is happy, although we both get tired of the winter by February. The schools are really good and we have made good friends, lots of social life if you want it. I work in the Loop and bike over to the downtown Naperville station year round (that's not for everyone, that's for sure)...I enjoy the train commute, it is pretty efficient and I check emails or read on the train. We are in 204 and are really pleased with the choice, I would be happy to tell you about our school if interested, just send me a note.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:05 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
Default Another ex OC guy chiming in

The first winter is tough, but after that, there is a mental and physical adjustment and ultimate acceptance of the weather. I have actually grown to love the change of seasons. Just make sure you drive slowly the first time out; I ended up in a ditch my first braking the the snow. Naperville is very much like OC,and I am sure you can get something decent for 550k; I live in Hinsdale, which i really like, but 550k unfortunately won't get you far there. The main adjustment for me was a lack of mountains and hills to look at; I used to live in the hills with a view of the valley in OC After your eyesight adjusts a bit, you will be fine; you may actually love Chicago like I have grown to do. Good luck!

Old 09-20-2013, 06:13 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Don't hesitate to move to Naperville. Its a great place with good schools and a lot to do. Lots of surrounding suburbs too. There may be the possibility of jobs in the I-88 corridor which runs through North Naperville. If you do locate there pay attention to location because being near 1-88 is better for driving places. The Rt 59 corridor can be a nightmare for traffic.
There are many transplants in Naperville so it will be easy to make friends.

The weather is not so bad as some would make it out. The truly bad months are Jan and Feb, the others not as cold or bad and there is plenty of sunshine here even sometimes on the coldest days. Its not all gray and cold.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:29 AM

214 posts, read 545,843 times
I worry you have not thought this out. Why do you want to move here? People "escaping" CA usually do not come to Illinois, the land of corruption and high taxes. Traffic is lousy here too. Winter can be damn depressing. Is there some reason you want to move here?

Old 09-24-2013, 02:23 PM

5 posts, read 8,668 times
Thank you this was helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs