Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 07:44 PM

15 posts, read 25,844 times

Advertisements

We are close to buying a home in the next couple of months. Our kids will go to private school in Wheaton and likely will buy in Wheaton or Glen Elllyn? Our purchase will likely be in the 1M range. Thoughts on where we will get the most for our money? and is one town seen as a better investment than the other? Much thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 09:42 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,892 times
Wheaton and Glen Ellyn are about the same overall in terms of affordability. Look at homes in both towns and find the house you like the best. You should also look at Winfield and Warrenville too. Although there's less housing available in Warrenville and Winfield due to the towns being smaller, there are parts of those towns where you'll get more bang for buck. Those parts of town are the parts that aren't in the boundaries for Wheaton schools and are in the West Chicago school district which is much worse than Wheaton schools. Other areas you may wanna consider too are the northeastern parts of Naperville and Lisle. They're more affordable and not far from Wheaton. Lisle is especially more affordable, but is still a nice town.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:46 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
I live in Glen Ellyn and spend a lot of time in both towns. Overall Glen Ellyn is a bit more expensive than Wheaton, though you can certainly get a very nice home here for $1 million. I think you might see a larger market for million dollar homes in Glen Ellyn, though you will get more for your money in Wheaton. Wheaton is twice as big as Glen Ellyn, but people from both communities go back and forth a lot and use the amenities in each.

What kind of house and neighborhood are you interested in? The most expensive houses in Glen Ellyn are largely concentrated around Lake Ellyn and the walkable downtown area, and things fall off a bit south of Roosevelt Road with the exception of the upscale "Maryknoll" subdivision (which also has different a different elementary district and a different high school). I think most of the $1 million+ homes in Wheaton are McMansion-style in wealthy newer subdivisions. While the expensive neighborhoods in Glen Ellyn are quite old, they do have many new houses too that were built on "teardown" lots.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:34 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Either town is really nice. I happen to live in Wheaton and I love it. It has a great park district, library, and many shops. It does have an old "in town" section of older expensive homes too like Glen Ellyn does, and many nice subdivisions of beautiful new or newish homes. South Wheaton is nice and the stores and shops are wonderful there. I think we have far better shopping in Wheaton of course people from Glen Ellyn come over to shop as we do go there sometimes too. I am a little partial to Wheaton despite the charms of Glen Ellyn. I like south Wheaton because of the shops and the easy access to I-88. If you are looking, at your price point, you can look at Danada, Murifield, Legends, Amberwood Estates. If you want an older home you have to look in north Wheaton north of the down town area. At your budget I would skip Winfield, Warrenville and Lisle. Wheaton or Glen Ellyn are nicer places and your home will probably have better resale value.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:08 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I live in Glen Ellyn and spend a lot of time in both towns. Overall Glen Ellyn is a bit more expensive than Wheaton, though you can certainly get a very nice home here for $1 million. I think you might see a larger market for million dollar homes in Glen Ellyn, though you will get more for your money in Wheaton. Wheaton is twice as big as Glen Ellyn, but people from both communities go back and forth a lot and use the amenities in each.

What kind of house and neighborhood are you interested in? The most expensive houses in Glen Ellyn are largely concentrated around Lake Ellyn and the walkable downtown area, and things fall off a bit south of Roosevelt Road with the exception of the upscale "Maryknoll" subdivision (which also has different a different elementary district and a different high school). I think most of the $1 million+ homes in Wheaton are McMansion-style in wealthy newer subdivisions. While the expensive neighborhoods in Glen Ellyn are quite old, they do have many new houses too that were built on "teardown" lots.
Wheaton is a very historic town, and it's neighborhoods vary in age and character. The neighborhood just north of downtown is quite expensive and has some of the oldest homes in the region.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:37 PM

Yes Wheaton has a older historic area of expensive homes like Glen Ellyn. The south of Wheaton where I live is mostly McMansions at that price point (still very nice). The guy who built most of the newer homes in south Wheaton was Joe Keim, who has a reputation as a good quality builder. I've lived in his houses and he does a good job. Great parks and green space and prairie path and very convenient to highways too.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:40 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Wheaton is a very historic town, and it's neighborhoods vary in age and character. The neighborhood just north of downtown is quite expensive and has some of the oldest homes in the region.
Sure, but I think that if you are buying a $1 million house there are more options in Glen Ellyn that are historic, and more options in Wheaton that are new. The historic housing stock in Glen Ellyn is more consistently expensive and grand, particularly in the Lake Ellyn area.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:44 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,875 times
I pity you for the property taxes you'll be paying

Old 03-23-2015, 04:39 PM

Oh well many of us actually like Illinois. We are from here, have family and friends and hate hate hate hot weather!!

Old 03-23-2015, 06:03 PM

15 posts, read 25,844 times
appreciate all the feedback. We will likely be in Illinois for 3-4 years so want to ensure the purchase we make will maintain its value or increase in value (novel concept). It seems Glen Ellyn has more of the Norman Rockwall feel, while Wheaton has variability in homes. Getting the sense that albeit great towns, Glen Ellyn may hold values slightly better than Wheaton. Disagree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs