Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 03:08 PM

5 posts, read 12,679 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the link TR. Yea...Ive thought about doing it in an industrial space. Warehouse space is cheap cheap cheap, but you dont have the street visibility like you do on a main downtown street. I'm gonna read the paper online and keep my eyes open. Thanks so much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 09:32 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
When asking if college kids would travel to Aurora just for the business (if it isn't convenient), my answer would be no. I understand that you draw a lot because you are in the middle of knowwhere, but that also means that there aren't as many options. (I am in no way knocking your business, just giving my opinion). I think that you would do better off in a more established area where college kids, etc would already be going. Otherwise, they will likely just stick with what they know. I'm not sure what the best alternative is for you. Just my two cents. Regardless, good luck!

Old 11-15-2007, 10:16 PM

137 posts, read 549,653 times
Rather than Aurora I'd give Lisle, or Woodridge a look see. You would be feeding off COD, Benedictine, and NCC. You'd pull from the Naperville audience too.

Good Luck where ever you end up - appears to be a popular concept.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:47 AM

627 posts, read 1,846,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XOunderground View Post
Thanks for the link TR. Yea...Ive thought about doing it in an industrial space. Warehouse space is cheap cheap cheap, but you dont have the street visibility like you do on a main downtown street. I'm gonna read the paper online and keep my eyes open. Thanks so much for your help.
I don't know if you have done marketing studies with your current customers, but I would think a business such as yours gets nearly 100% of your new customers in the door through word of mouth, not via the walk-by / stop-in / check it out type people. Your business is quite different from the ubiquitous coffee shops found on every corner.

If this is true, I think a word of mouth type business would be a good fit for an industrial area. I don't know (because I'm most definitely not in your target market), but I would venture to guess your clientèle would appreciate the "industrial-ness" of your locale.

Also, I do like your idea to move closer to the Aurora/Naperville area. Morris is way, way out there. If people are driving that far to check your business out, you must be missing a ton of folks who just don't want to sit in the car for an hour and a half roundtrip.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:00 AM

5 posts, read 12,679 times
exactly TR. Most of our marketing is done by word of mouth or thru myspace. Its the most effective with this demo. I'm looking along the Ogden strip between Naper and aurora. Problem is there are two other hookah lounges, albeit more trad and coffeehouse-like than what we do, along the Ogden strip. After searching loopnet, I think we might either locate along this strip between nv and aurora (giving the two hookah lounges a run for their money) or locate in the dt aurora area west of the bridge if I can find a useable space that doesnt require a ton of buildout and rehab. There is something to be said about the ambience of a gritty older urban-like downtown in a cool building. Thanks for the input. I'm taking everything into consideration and its helping tremendously.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:53 AM

610 posts, read 2,729,575 times
I took a quick look at your link and it is an interesting concept! I can see why you might be drawn to Aurora but I think you may want to check out West Chicago (rt. 59) , Glendale Heights (North Ave./Bloomingdale Rd) Lisle, Woodridge, Bolingbrook before Aurora. Parts of Aurora are Ok but I am not sure you would be attracting the cliental you are looking for. You may end up with other issues due to location. Just my opinion. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs