Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:48 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times

Advertisements

We have a relocation opportunity, and I'm looking for advice. My husbands job would be split between Sycamore and Hoffman Estates, with regular travel, so relatively easy access to O'Hare would be necessary. Schools are very important as we have elementary and middle schoolers. Our housing budget would be up to K$500.

Would the Geneva/St. Charles area be a consideration, or would further north make for a less painful commute?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 10:11 AM

Anyone?

Old 08-25-2013, 10:38 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
I suppose if you absolutely had to accept jobs in Hoffman Estates & Sycamore it sorta makes sense to consider someplace like the area around NW St. Charles as an option. The problem is that both parents would have a pretty crummy commute and you both similar work schedule it would be impossible to not spend a lot of time driving some long distances -- these towns are a solid hour apart in the best of circumstances. The complicating factor is that since Sycamore is so for west but not partcularly close to the NW tollway that makes surface streets pretty much the only options. With Hoffman Estates along the NW tollway there are lots more options...

Old 08-25-2013, 10:46 AM

Sorry if I wasn't clear, it's just one job (my husband's) would be split between Sycamore and Hoffman Estates, with frequent travel from O'Hare too.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:58 AM

It might make sense to think about someplace that is a little closer to O'Hare than St. Charles, but of course that would make the days that work requires a drive to Sycamore all the longer. Probably not too many other options. Heck given the limitations I might nix the move...

It is one of those goofy things, the west side of St. Charles is not too bad to head out to Sycamore, figure 30 minutes. The drive to Hoffman Eststes is probably about the same, maybe a bit longer. Heading to O'Hare is gonna be significantly worse, even when roads are clear this is gonna be more like an hour...

Old 08-25-2013, 11:25 AM

Thanks very much for the information. I think he's going to be doing some serious driving by the looks of it.

Perhaps NE St. Charles, or Barrington/Palatine?

Old 08-25-2013, 11:35 AM

Default I think those are options too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Thanks very much for the information. I think he's going to be doing some serious driving by the looks of it.

Perhaps NE St. Charles, or Barrington/Palatine?
Barrington to Hoffman Estates is easy commute, Palatine a little longer. Either of those is similar to O'Hare, neither is going to be a easy drive to Sycamore.

Maybe a helicopter

Old 08-25-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
maybe a helicopter
:d

Old 08-26-2013, 08:09 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
Is he in sales? Or is he expected at the 2 locations for normal 9-5 day? If he works from home and has flexibility to his arrival and departure time, it may make his drives easier. The other plus is that going to Sycamore in the AM and returning in the PM is a bit opposite the heavy rush hour flow. How often does he need to be in each location?

For example, if he spends 3 days or more in Hoffman Estates, travels from O'Hare 2 weeks a month I might be inclined to be In Hoffman Estates or Palatine close to I-90. If it is primarily Sycamore with occasionally going to Hoffman Estates and traveling once every 2 months from O'Hare, then St. Charles may be best.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Is he in sales? Or is he expected at the 2 locations for normal 9-5 day? If he works from home and has flexibility to his arrival and departure time, it may make his drives easier. The other plus is that going to Sycamore in the AM and returning in the PM is a bit opposite the heavy rush hour flow. How often does he need to be in each location?

For example, if he spends 3 days or more in Hoffman Estates, travels from O'Hare 2 weeks a month I might be inclined to be In Hoffman Estates or Palatine close to I-90. If it is primarily Sycamore with occasionally going to Hoffman Estates and traveling once every 2 months from O'Hare, then St. Charles may be best.
Thanks, all very good questions for which we don't have good answers for right now. It would be tempting to rent for a bit to do a few test runs, sadly not possible as we need the kids in school. Not sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs