U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 01:53 PM

8 posts, read 13,714 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I am hoping to get some information about Arlington heights, Palatine, Des Plaines, Glenview, Northbrook, Deerfield, and other towns that would fit my criteria. I'm in my mid 20's living with my boyfriend. He is working in Lincolnshire and I will be finding a new job once I know the area we will be moving to (there is an option of working in Chicago depending on the commute). Id prefer to be closer to the city but I'm not sure if that is an option. Looking for a town with a younger crowd, good restaurants and bars, and shopping centers. Schools are not important at all. We will be renting and are hoping to spend around $1,200 a month without utilities but we could go up to $1,350 if need be. Can anyone give me any advise on what to expect with these towns or send me in the right direction for where I should be looking?? Anything is much appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 03:36 PM

3,286 posts, read 5,177,077 times
I would look near the downtown cores (near the Metra stations) of Arlington Heights and Evanston. Arlington Heights would be a shorter/easier commute to Lincolnshire but Evanston is more fun/young/hip, in my opinion. I lived there in my 20s and I loved it (I'm 31 now, so it wasn't that long ago...). Either way, if you live near the downtown part of town you'll be able to walk to restaurants and stores, which I personally consider a big plus.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:35 PM

690 posts, read 1,826,512 times
This sure is a long move for you. You have been posting about your move from Naperville to your fiance's job in Lincolnshire for OVER a year. During that time, why didn't you simply drive to a few towns and get a feel for the various areas yourself?

Old 09-08-2013, 11:37 AM

8 posts, read 13,714 times
The posts over a year ago has nothing to do with this one clearly. Last year we were looking in the schaumburg area or trying to stay closer to Naperville and my job. This time we'll be further north. So sorry I was too busy over the past year adjusting to Schaumburg to plan ahead to move again. If anyone can give me good advice on towns north I'd appreciate it. We heard lake bluff was something to look into as well.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:01 PM

5,479 posts, read 10,964,411 times
But LakeCountyLifer brings up a good point: Schaumburg is quite close to Arlington Heights, Palatine and the other areas you mention. Take advantage of the nice weather we have left the next 2 months or so and spend some weekend time exploring the downtown areas of the towns you mention. NOTHING beats experiencing it in person and you don't have the disadvantage of doing this from far away or out of state. Kind of like asking if spaghetti is good and then saying you are too busy to try it yourself. You know your likes/dislikes better than anyone on this forum no matter how well you articulate what you are looking for. Go for it, make it a positive experience/adventure. You are so close, have a computer to search apartments and to find bars and restaurants in these areas to visit- go do it in person instead of via a computer screen.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:42 AM

41 posts, read 77,418 times
Um, Arlington Heights doesn't have "young people"; huh??!?

All those towns you mention are nowhere near each other! Are you looking for somewhere completely random?!

If so, I heard Algonquin is home to the Barbies in clubs. From some I was talking to online who lives there and would rather have Schaumburg.

Not sure what's "not young" about people and bars in Schaumburg & Hoffman Estates. Hell they even have Zero Gravity. (Not to mention Durty Nellie's and John Barleycorn. Although Durty Nellie's is technically in Palatine.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs