Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 10:04 AM

103 posts, read 199,710 times

Advertisements

How is Chicago's job market? Outlying suburbs?

I'm in Phoenix looking for work. I've been to Florida, Iowa and Arizona to find work.

Cannot find work. Any ideas?

I am a former teacher. Looking for a career change.
I have some sales background. Would prefer hotel sales. But, I am willing to try anything at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 07:38 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,849,267 times
Not what it should be. True, the whole country is short on jobs, but a little worse than average here. Believe it or not, some manufacturers complain they can't find the right employees so that may be a place to start.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:41 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,971,817 times
The job market here is okay, but it is tougher if you are changing careers. I've been applying for jobs in fields other than the one I've been working in for the last 9 years and I'm basically spinning my wheels. I customize my resume and cover letter for every application and I have a lot of transferable skills, but that doesn't seem to matter. In the past I've never had trouble getting new jobs within my field (financial services) and I suspect I could probably get another job in the field now... the only problem is that I really don't want one!

Old 09-20-2013, 01:24 PM

258 posts, read 345,600 times
One way is to get into a company as a contract employee or "consultant", and then show solid performance and try to get it converted into a permanent job. Doesn't work all the time, but it sometimes does.

The thing is - a prospective employer will be much more open to hiring someone they have worked with personally, even if that person has some shortcomings in their resume. You'll be surprised how much they will want to keep you in their team if you can prove to them that you are dependable.

But be careful, many companies have a policy of keeping a large number of staff as permanent contractors - they want the manpower but don't want the permanent employee headcount to increase in their books. You need to avoid those companies.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:51 AM

Old 02-02-2014, 08:52 AM

Old 02-02-2014, 08:53 AM

Old 02-02-2014, 08:55 AM

Old 02-02-2014, 08:56 AM

hello

Old 02-02-2014, 11:08 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,380,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asliarun View Post
One way is to get into a company as a contract employee or "consultant", and then show solid performance and try to get it converted into a permanent job. Doesn't work all the time, but it sometimes does.

The thing is - a prospective employer will be much more open to hiring someone they have worked with personally, even if that person has some shortcomings in their resume. You'll be surprised how much they will want to keep you in their team if you can prove to them that you are dependable.

But be careful, many companies have a policy of keeping a large number of staff as permanent contractors - they want the manpower but don't want the permanent employee headcount to increase in their books. You need to avoid those companies.
I can name several companies particularly large corps that are like this with the armies of perma-temps. It is especially bad in my profession. I'd say the infiltration of staffing agencies is particularly bad in Illinois and the only companies screaming about having trouble filling positions either have very poor compensation, insane purple squirrel requirements, or an inept HR/recruitment staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs