Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:24 AM

4 posts, read 7,274 times

Advertisements

What do I need to know? Is there a "good" area of D.G., and a "bad" area? Where are they? Thanks

Last edited by Doc2556; 11-17-2007 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: misspelled word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 05:58 AM

356 posts, read 542,855 times
Don't limit your look to just Downers Grove. To the northeast is Oak Brook, to the east is Hinsdale, to the west is Lisle. Just north of Downers the whole Butterfield expereince is going through a rennaisance-- Redstones, China Grill, new Westin w/Harry Caray's, moveie theaters, etc. Are you looking to rent or buy? If renting-- checkout townhomes in Lombard and Oak Brook. Ther are some fairly new condos in downtown D.G. if you want the village life.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:20 AM

474 posts, read 2,539,305 times
Default "what Do I Need To Know?"

For ten years of my life, I lived with my parents in Hickory, NC. A few days after we arrived in NC, happened to be December 24 of that year. Total strangers that we had just met in one of the local churches in Hickory, invited us into their home to celebrate a Christmas Eve party with other church friends. To date, that is the best Christmas I have ever had anywhere.

My grandparents lived in Florence, AL for a lifetime. And so I would spend a summer week or two in Florence.

However, for most of my life, I have lived in the Chicago Suburbs. Oak Park, La Grange, Western Slprings, Wheaton (41 years) and also Cortland, IL.

What YOU may experience is a disappointment in everyone's camaraderie. To be sure, there are plenty of nice and friendly people here on the Forums - - but around Chicago, people are afraid of each other 'face to face'. In public, people will stare right through you without saying, "How Do". I believe I can safely make this distinction with all of my experiences at 66 years of age.

So when you arrive in Illinois, try to seek out a nice church - - be very outgoing and friendly, and don't get discouraged about a less 'face to face' friendly people than what you experienced in Birmingham.

Incidently, my grand Aunt also lived in Birmingham many years. She lived on some mountain subdivision and I can still recall an area called 'Bessemer' with some statue of a sorts(?).

WELCOME TO ILLINOIS, DEAR FRIEND !!!

Carter Glass
Wheaton, IL &
Cortland, IL

Old 11-17-2007, 09:08 AM

269 posts, read 1,100,615 times
I lived in Downers Grover for almost ten years and loved it. The towns is small'er', quiet, clean, and the schools are good. The people that I met there are very nice and you should do fine. But like the other poster mentions, don't limit youself to just DG. The towns around it are just extensions of it, and if you love DG, you will like them too. The northern area seems to be the best for schools, but things might have changed since I was last there. Tear-downs seem to be taking place all over, which is a shame. There is also a good shuttle service in town that I always found helpful when I was in grad school up there. Traffic can be a problem, but just plan ahead.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:46 AM

79 posts, read 264,582 times
Absolutely a great town, great schools, churches & community!

Old 11-17-2007, 12:20 PM

39 posts, read 192,388 times
I live in DG, it's a great place to raise a family. The town is divided by the train tracks, so people usually ask if you live North or South. The North side is regarded as the "better side", but the whole town is really nice. I live on the South side and there are still a ton of gorgeous homes over here. I'm about a mile and a half from downtown, but if I had the money I'd live closer. Take a drive around and really get a feel for the neighborhood, parts of DG are still changing. Any house that seems like a deal is probably due to location. The closer to downtown, the more you will pay. On my block there are new million dollar plus homes, and then a few really scary looking ones with total hicks that have been there for ages. They have boats and way too many cars in their driveways in various states of repair. It gives the area a kind of funky vibe but beats cookie cutter for me. I'd also avoid living along a busy street, such as Main/Highland, Fairview 63rd, 75th or Belmont.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:05 AM

356 posts, read 542,855 times
Some nice condos in downtown D.G. walk to restaurants, oubs, and Starbucks!

Old 11-19-2007, 08:27 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
I agree with what everyone has said so far. Downers Grove is a nice place, even if congested. You can pretty much find anything to do there, and its cheaper than its Hinsdale neighbor, although a bit less prestigious.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:54 AM

61 posts, read 179,437 times
Doc..I'm from Atlanta. I think you will like Downers Grove or any of the nearby cities.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:39 PM

16 posts, read 69,078 times
There are no 'bad parts' of Downers Grove. Just like any town there are more expensive and less expensive homes but the schools are great no matter where in town you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs