Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2013, 02:51 PM

7 posts, read 11,656 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am in my mid twenties and I'm young professional that would like to know which suburb in Chicago has the best sense of community among young professionals outside of the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 03:20 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
?

Old 10-10-2013, 03:34 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Time for another glossy Chicago Magazine survey!! (that I can use for a birdcage liner)

Old 10-10-2013, 03:44 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,101,240 times
Obviously the most social area, most to do, best public transportation is going to be the city. In terms of burbs any particular area your going to be working in or going to school in? As for west burbs I think Naperville takes the cake. About 15-20 bars in a walkable area. Plenty of shopping, good access to job possibilities in Naperville as well as nearby on I88 corridor, plnety of other young professionals. not far away is four lakes which is lisle but near naperville. really geared towards young people, lots of activitie, free shuttle every morning that runs to train station, etc.

if more north evanston is close to the city and seems to have a lot going on and young professionals. more west suburbs near chicago forest park has a nice strip of bars is getting nicer and kind of a young crowd.

schaumburg probably isn't a bad choice either.

if you give some more details we can probably give you a better fit for you in terms of whats your social life like, where do you want to be, where are u gonna be working

Old 10-10-2013, 05:01 PM

7 posts, read 11,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Obviously the most social area, most to do, best public transportation is going to be the city. In terms of burbs any particular area your going to be working in or going to school in? As for west burbs I think Naperville takes the cake. About 15-20 bars in a walkable area. Plenty of shopping, good access to job possibilities in Naperville as well as nearby on I88 corridor, plnety of other young professionals. not far away is four lakes which is lisle but near naperville. really geared towards young people, lots of activitie, free shuttle every morning that runs to train station, etc.

if you give some more details we can probably give you a better fit for you in terms of whats your social life like, where do you want to be, where are u gonna be working
Thanks for your reply. I am currently working in downtown Chicago and commute from Aurora. I am interested in moving out of this town into a more lively community that isn't in the city.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:50 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Personally, I would aim for Evanston. It is close to the city so it is easy to take advantage of everything Chicago offers, but Evanston has a great downtown and a lot to offer all on its own. I lived there from age 22 to 26 and I loved it. If I could afford to move back there in the house I want I would live there now.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:09 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Chicagoland is a little unusual compared to other metro areas in that while it centers around on of the largest, most vibrant, walkalbe, "never get bored urban cores", its surrounding towns and suburbs are much more largely bedroom communities compared to surrounding suburban towns of other metro areas.

Having said that, even the Chicago suburbs do offer more than bedroom communities.

Like others said: Naperville and Evanston would be your best options, followed by Oak Park-Forest Park (where I lived for two years), after that Schaumburg, and possibly even downtown Arlington Hts (though you're pushing it there).

Old 10-11-2013, 10:11 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
I will chime in. Evanston and Oak Park seems to be favored among young people. They both have somewhat of an urban vibe. Naperville would also be a pick if you want to stay in the western suburbs. I'd pass on Schaumburg myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs