Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 09:02 PM

7 posts, read 12,331 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the Chicago forum and they suggested i post here too.

Please forgive me if my questions have already been answered. I have been searching forums for weeks now and haven't quite found what Im looking for.
My husband has been given a pretty good offer in the Chicago area. Hodgkins to be exact. We both grew up on small farms in Utah so the city seems a little intimidating. While we are open to new things (city life) we also have 3 small children (4 and under) that are very used to having wide open spaces to run and play. I love being able to send them in our huge backyard with no real concern about there safety. They also enjoy being able to run with their animals and get dirty. Is it possible for us to find this kind of life style within a reasonable commuting distance to Hodgkins? We are hoping to find a commute that is an hour or less. Any more than an hour just doesn't seem worth the time it would take away from our family.
We have looked at homes in the NW Indiana area. There seems to be a lot more there as far as space and nicer homes that are in our price range (around $200,000) Is it realistic to think he could commute from that area in an hour or less? There is one home on the outskirts of Hobart that we are particularly interested in. What would that commute be like?
Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. We are obviously more comfortable in a more rural setting but should we change things up and try city life? Are there other areas you would suggest besides NW Indiana? Im not even sure what to expect from suburbs seeing as I have never been to an area as large as chicagoland (thats what you call it right? haha) We are coming out for a few days next week, any areas you suggest we check out? We have open minds on this matter, lets hear what you have to say!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 11:10 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
Honestly I think the commute would get pretty tiresome from NW Indiana. Since your husband is commuting to Hodkins, I'd look along the I-55 corridor, but further out (into the country just about). Look at areas like Plainfield & Shorewood. But try to find undeveloped, rural homes just to the west of these areas. At least you'd be right by I-55. Distance-wise, not far from Hodgkins. But I'll warn you that the highway can get pretty jammed up in the morning heading towards the city (and in the evening return). Hodgkins of course is on the way to the city. I'm sure some others with greater familiarity of the far SW suburbs can give you some additional advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanmarie View Post
I posted this in the Chicago forum and they suggested i post here too.

Please forgive me if my questions have already been answered. I have been searching forums for weeks now and haven't quite found what Im looking for.
My husband has been given a pretty good offer in the Chicago area. Hodgkins to be exact. We both grew up on small farms in Utah so the city seems a little intimidating. While we are open to new things (city life) we also have 3 small children (4 and under) that are very used to having wide open spaces to run and play. I love being able to send them in our huge backyard with no real concern about there safety. They also enjoy being able to run with their animals and get dirty. Is it possible for us to find this kind of life style within a reasonable commuting distance to Hodgkins? We are hoping to find a commute that is an hour or less. Any more than an hour just doesn't seem worth the time it would take away from our family.
We have looked at homes in the NW Indiana area. There seems to be a lot more there as far as space and nicer homes that are in our price range (around $200,000) Is it realistic to think he could commute from that area in an hour or less? There is one home on the outskirts of Hobart that we are particularly interested in. What would that commute be like?
Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. We are obviously more comfortable in a more rural setting but should we change things up and try city life? Are there other areas you would suggest besides NW Indiana? Im not even sure what to expect from suburbs seeing as I have never been to an area as large as chicagoland (thats what you call it right? haha) We are coming out for a few days next week, any areas you suggest we check out? We have open minds on this matter, lets hear what you have to say!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs