Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 10:45 PM

26 posts, read 104,129 times

Advertisements

I met someone from Beverly (in Chicago) over the weekend who told me that most of the people she grew up with still live in the neighborhood, and this is after many of them going away to college. Of course, my perspective is skewed because I've moved every year for the past five and I currently live in Streeterville, where I doubt anyone actually grew up; everyone I come in contact is a transient.

So my question is: Which Chicago suburbs or zip codes (if that makes it easier to compare populations) has the fewest number of people who move in and out of the community? My guess is that it might be a tie between the really high income and the lower-income communities. The middle income places are probably where the nomads are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 08:16 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
From what I know of places that I consider to be "middle income" I would include Beverely, Edison Park / Jefferson Park, and Garfield Ridge as places that are neither super high or super low on the income scale, these places almost certainly have among the least "turnover" in home ownership. Similarly suburban areas like DesPlaines, Downers Grove, Tinley Park and places that are not off the scale with affluence nor overrun with the underclass strike as places with very consistent ownership...

Contrary to the OP's assertions the ranks of the very affluent have quite a bit of turnover -- factors like the relative ease that fortunes are wiped out have to be considerd but so too is it a fact that the affluent can quite easily move their home to rather far away places that are too costly for those of more modest means -- as folks age and head to upscale places in Florida, the Carolina's / greater SE, Hawaii or even some foreign land / island that impacts turnover.

In our economic system those that are "most stuck" tend to be those with fewest assets.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:29 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
This is anecdotal, but at my block party this summer I met several people who had lived on the same block all of their lives. In one case the man grew up on one house and then bought another one when he was an adult so he could stay on the block. In other cases people had stayed in the same house from their childhood. This is in Elmhurst, by the way. Most of the people I met had lived in the town for more than 10 years and the average was around 25 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs