Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 12:00 PM

5 posts, read 5,249 times

Advertisements

Hello -

I am a Chicago native (born and raised) but when I left for college I never returned (except for visits). I have been offered employment, in Chicago, and I've excepted. Iam concerned about where to move because I'm married, I have children and I've been gone for 15yrs. I have a lot to consider but I have to be an Illinois resident in regards to my employment.

I am relocating from central Indiana (near Purdue University) and I'm craving the same atmosphere for my children and family.I have a child who is deaf as well; suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 12:16 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrrogers View Post
Hello -

I am a Chicago native (born and raised) but when I left for college I never returned (except for visits). I have been offered employment, in Chicago, and I've excepted. Iam concerned about where to move because I'm married, I have children and I've been gone for 15yrs. I have a lot to consider but I have to be an Illinois resident in regards to my employment.

I am relocating from central Indiana (near Purdue University) and I'm craving the same atmosphere for my children and family.I have a child who is deaf as well; suggestions?
I'm not familiar with central Indiana. What is it that you like about the area? Also, where is your job located? The answers to those questions will help you get much better replies.

The other thing that would be helpful to know is your budget and rent or buy?

Old 10-29-2013, 05:07 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
We need to know approximately where you are working, what your budget is, and are you looking to buy or rent to advise you further. Chicago is a huge metro area.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:34 PM

I am seeking to rent at this time and my budget is $600/mo (studio), right now, because we still have our townhouse in Indiana. My husband is still in Lafayette, IN with our children due to his job and the kids being in school. *We will possibly eventually buy if not we'll definitely rent.

I work in Chicago (UIC area) and on my off days I go back to Indiana to be with my family and friends. I am in Chicago on my work days.

We are seeking deaf high schools in Illinois (Chicagoland area) to accommodate our oldest son. We live in a suburban area and it's predominately Caucasian (just saying). My kids can be kids (no violence, low crime and affordable quality living).

I am trying to find similar demographics, of Lafayette, to provide similar quality of living.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:45 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrrogers View Post
I am seeking to rent at this time and my budget is $600/mo (studio), right now, because we still have our townhouse in Indiana. My husband is still in Lafayette, IN with our children due to his job and the kids being in school. *We will possibly eventually buy if not we'll definitely rent.

I work in Chicago (UIC area) and on my off days I go back to Indiana to be with my family and friends. I am in Chicago on my work days.

We are seeking deaf high schools in Illinois (Chicagoland area) to accommodate our oldest son. We live in a suburban area and it's predominately Caucasian (just saying). My kids can be kids (no violence, low crime and affordable quality living).

I am trying to find similar demographics, of Lafayette, to provide similar quality of living.
Well, there are a lot of mostly white, safe suburbs in the Chicago area (Naperville, Downers Grove, Glen Ellyn, Elmhurst, Hinsdale, LaGrange, Geneva, St. Charles, Batavia, Wheaton, all of the North Shore area, Arlington Heights, etc.). Affordability is another issue though and $600/month does not go very far anywhere in Chicago.

What I'm not clear on is whether you're trying to rent something for your entire family for $600/month or if you're just looking for a studio for yourself. If the latter, why not rent close to work so you can explore areas in person before making a decision?

Old 10-29-2013, 09:16 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
$600 a month will be very tough to do in Chicago. The average 1 bedroom is twice that. Even a studio will be tough. You may have to look at less desirable areas or live far out and commute in on the Metra.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:01 PM

I'm looking for that price range right now for the studio.

I guess I'm seeking a suburb, within what I am accustomed too, and I'm willing to spend up to $1,200/mo.

I looked into the area of Hinsdale and Darien due to the fact they have a school that adheres to the deaf culture and population.

I guess suggestions for Chicago, if any, and areas within that of Hinsdale South High School.

*Also, Indiana has the 21st Century Scholars Program that will fund your childs tuition to any college or university of their choice within the state of Indiana (which it's 80 schools that participate; which 2 are big 10 schools: Norte Dame and Purdue University)

I guess more suggestions needed

Thank you for all of the responses thus far

Old 11-02-2013, 02:26 PM

247 posts, read 688,829 times
The 21st Century Scholars program has some pretty strict income requirements. I would make sure your family qualifies before using that program as a basis for where to live.

I know that the city of Hammond in IN pays in-state tuition for all residents regardless of income. It's called the College Bound Scholarship program. Problem is, you have to live in Hammond, which is not ideal.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:20 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Oak Park might be worth a look as it is an easy commute to UIC area, but as far as suburbs go it rather urban.

$1200/mo ought to be a decent budget for a studio or one bedroom, probably need to budget more for family sized place.

You could consider Elmhurst, it is a bit further west and more traditionally suburban.

LaGrange might be something to consider too, LT is a well regarded high school.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:51 PM

Thank you for the responses.

I wasn't aware of that program in Hammond and I'll be sure to look more into the 21st century scholars program.

I'll look into Elmhurst and some of the western suburbs again.

I'm still looking for additional advice because I'm compiling this all together to create a final decision; along with some additional factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs