Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2013, 12:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,127 times

Advertisements

Hello all, my husband and I have decided to purchase a new home, I lived in the south suburbs most of my life. I currently reside (renting) in Calumet City Illinois but are looking to buy somewhere in Lansing or Lynwood I was hoping that I can receive some feedback on where it would be best to raise my 3 daughters. I work in Gary Indiana and I want to stay close although my husband does not want to move to Indiana. We have looked at houses in Lynwood prices are fair and the houses are in good condition plus taxes are not as high. this will be our starter home since we are fist time home buyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 11:03 PM

144 posts, read 182,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herden View Post
Hello all, my husband and I have decided to purchase a new home, I lived in the south suburbs most of my life. I currently reside (renting) in Calumet City Illinois but are looking to buy somewhere in Lansing or Lynwood I was hoping that I can receive some feedback on where it would be best to raise my 3 daughters. I work in Gary Indiana and I want to stay close although my husband does not want to move to Indiana. We have looked at houses in Lynwood prices are fair and the houses are in good condition plus taxes are not as high. this will be our starter home since we are fist time home buyers.
Hello. First, I'd like to say that Lynwood and Lansing are both wonderful towns. I live in the area and have had good experiences so far. Here's a break down on the towns:
Lynwood
The town has a pretty rural, suburban feel to it. Lynwood is about 65% black, 30% white, and 5% hispanic. Most of the homes in Lynwood were built from the 1970's till today. Currently, Lynwood has very few businesses. Most of your shopping will be near River Oaks or NWI. The town has a plan to construct a downtown, but this might not be constructed so soon. Lynwood has two school districts. Half of Lynwood, (north of 201st Street) is zoned to Lansing SD 171 for elementary and middle school. For high school, this section of Lynwood is zoned in Calumet City's SD 215. The high school is TF South located in Lansing. SD 171 is still OK, but unfortunately, TF South isn't a school I would recommend sending your children to. However, if your children are focused on their school work and don't cause trouble, they should be ok. The other half of Lynwood, (south of 201st Street or west of Torrence) is apart of SD 170 for elementary and middle school. It's a K-8 school and is OK. The high school for this section of town is Bloom Trail. Horrible school. Avoid it at all cost. Long story short, if you have the money, send your kids to Marion Catholic or Illina High Schools. They're both excellent private schools.
Lansing
Lansing is the largest of the two towns. All your retail stores and fast food will be found here. Right now, Lansing is around 60% white, 25% black, and the rest Hispanic. It's pretty diverse. Homes in Lansing are typically older than in Lynwood. Most of Lansing was constructed in the 50's and 60's. However, south of 186th or west of Torrence, the housing begins to closely mirror that of Lynwood with newer homes. If walk-ability is important to you, your family would probably favor Lansing over Lynwood. All of the streets in Lansing have sidewalks as well as a downtown district along Ridge Rd. As for schools, Lansing south of 186th st is apart of elementary district 171. The rest of Lansing attends Memorial Jr High which is still OK. All of Lansing attends TF South.
****It would probably be best to avoid the section of Lansing south of 170th and north of the expressway/ Bernice Rd from Torrence to Wentworth. This part of Lansing is showing some serious decline. The rest of Lansing is fine.

TF South- The school is very diverse for a south suburban school. Racial make-up is about 60% black, 20% white, and 20% Hispanic. Its not THAT bad, but not good either. As I mentioned earlier, your children can still do reasonably well here as long as they stay focused. TF South is defiantly leeps and bounds better than Bloom Trail.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:31 AM

811 posts, read 2,336,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herden View Post
I can honestly say that I've never heard anyone with kids say that they'd rather live in Lansing or Lynwood over any of the better Indiana towns. Ever ever. Especially if you're working in Indiana. To each his own, but I'd be curious as to why your husband feels so strongly about that? It's unusual, to say the least.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:50 PM

144 posts, read 182,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
I can honestly say that I've never heard anyone with kids say that they'd rather live in Lansing or Lynwood over any of the better Indiana towns. Ever ever. Especially if you're working in Indiana. To each his own, but I'd be curious as to why your husband feels so strongly about that? It's unusual, to say the least.
I was also wondering this as well...

Old 11-06-2013, 05:06 AM

6 posts, read 8,161 times
More value for your money and better overall living conditions in NWI.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:54 AM

363 posts, read 439,464 times
If your husband would consider Indiana, I think you would be pleasantly surprised by Gary beach front property or Hobart, St John or Munster.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:38 PM

42 posts, read 61,874 times
If you're looking to live close to the Indiana border, the only decent, affordable southern suburbs I'd recommend are Glenwood, Homewood, Crete, University Park, and possibly Steger. Unfortunately, with the constant push of Chicago garbage to the southern suburbs, these towns may be next to go downhill in a few years, because Lywood and Lansing sure have, and it's very sad. I'd recommend just moving across the state line to Indiana. Better schools and communities for the kids, lower home prices and taxes, and lower crime rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs